New Modmod Idea for AND: DYNASTIES

Alorente

Warlord
Having the leaders of an Empire change over time. Maybe one leader per era. For Example:

French Empire: Joan of Arc/Louis XIV/Napoleon/De Gaulle.

American Empire: Native American/George Washington/Abraham Lincoln/Roosevelt.

English Empire: Henry XVII/Elizabeth/Victoria/Churchill.

China: Qin Shi Huang/Kangxi/Mao Zedong.

Russia: Ivan IV/Catherine/Peter/Stalin.

Maybe picking 3 leaders, changing in the appropriate eras. Each of them with his or her own traits. Maybe a special unit and/or building for each leader instead of only for the Civ. Ideally you should have a leader for each era, but we would have to create new ones for this.

I think having three distinct leaders per Civ would add strategic value to the game as the traits change and you have to prepare to lose your Agricultural bonus or your Industrious excellence to be replaced by other different advantages. Or having to prepare that war for when your Aggressive leader is in control and before the Spiritual one shows up. There would be many different decisions to make. It would also reflect history a little more accurately and make the game even more fun.

Please, let me know if this has merits in your view.

I think you mean Henry VIII, rather than Henry XVII. A lot of those rulers come from the same general eras. Peter the Great quickly followed Catherine the Great and Elizabeth I was Henry VIII's daughter! Likewise, Louis XIV was a mere 150 years after Jean d'Arc.

This opens up interesting possibilities such as taking an industrious trait for the mid-game wonder rush, and aggressive for the early game expansion. My big concern is how well the AI would adapt compared to a competent player.

I think you mean Henry VIII, rather than Henry XVII. A lot of those rulers come from the same general eras. Peter the Great quickly followed Catherine the Great and Elizabeth I was Henry VIII's daughter! Likewise, Louis XIV was a mere 150 years after Jean d'Arc.

Yes I did mean Henry the VIII. I know the fit is not perfect with the leaders already created, but what do you think of the concept of having leaders from different eras lead the Civ during each era?

I think it's an interesting idea. This mod would do best with multiple new leaderheads as well, such as William the Conqueror, Meiji and so on.

The real problem is when you have civilizations with only 1 or two leaders. What then?

It's destined to fail. The Megapack does just that, but most computers can't even play it.

Yeah, I guess that it would be best to wait for Civ5 and much(much) better computers(to become cheap).

or release the source code so Jesus Afforess can make an Ever MORE GODLY AND

UP TO NINE THOUSAND! (tvtropes FTW)

The real problem is when you have civilizations with only 1 or two leaders. What then?

I thought of that. This could be a selectable mod. When you play with it, you will select only large, multi leader nations.

Ideally as I said, there should be a leader for each Era. This would imply creating new leaders. Only the names and traits, and maybe a special building or unit are important. The graphics are not. Still, playing with only three would be a much better experience than with one and more realistic. I think this could turn Civ into almost another game with the amount of new strategies it would bring into play. I am not sure about coding it because I don't know anything about that subject, but I imagine it would not be too difficult.

I think the Civs should come pre canned with the three leaders so the AI has an easier time with it. You would choose the Civ, not the Leader. There should also be an option to choose your leaders like you can choose now to play Gandhi with Egypt if you want to. I have a feeling, choosing your leaders would put the AI at a severe disadvantage.

There should also be an option to choose your leaders like you can choose now to play Gandhi with Egypt if you want to.

Civ4 already had this option. Check custom game and you can find "unlimited leaders" option. (I'm not sure that name is correct :mischief:)

What is the Megapack?

Megapack is a pack of new civilizations and leaders.

On Topic : I think Dynasty idea could work with civics, not eras:
like conversion of election idea on Monarchy and Despotism (and maybe Facism?)

On Topic : I think Dynasty idea could work with civics, not eras:
like conversion of election idea on Monarchy and Despotism (and maybe Facism?)

The problem with changing with civics is that if you revert back to a previous civic for war reasons or whatever, you would revert back to the previous leader who presumably has already passed the torch on to a subsequent one. It would be awkward to go back from Roosevelt to Lincoln, for example. I change civics back and forth repeatedly during a game. I imagine others do the same.

Civ4 already had this option. Check custom game and you can find "unlimited leaders" option. (I'm not sure that name is correct :mischief:)

Megapack is a pack of new civilizations and leaders.

I know Civ4 has this option for one leader. I meant choosing all three leaders of a Nation. I like the idea of prepackaged leaders for each nation that fit his or her's corresponding era. It seems more realistic.

Anyway, it depends on what Afforess thinks of all this. If he is not in favor of the concept of Dynasties, we'll just forget about it. I don't see it incorporated in other mods outside of AND. I am loyal to RoM/AND and to its future. Best thing ever made in the strategy field in my opinion. Much superior to RoM on its own.

I would have liked to play with the Dynasties mod though. I have a feeling it would add a lot of strategy and choices to the game. You don't really know how much until you test it.

The problem is that there's no realistic way to implement it into the game without adding at least two leaderheads to each nation with only one leader. The only way I even think this could work is if the next person in the dynasty is selected from a pool of all available leaders. Realistic? No, not really but may be workable (since Revolutions does something like this whenever the player cedes control to another leader).

The problem is that there's no realistic way to implement it into the game without adding at least two leaderheads to each nation with only one leader. The only way I even think this could work is if the next person in the dynasty is selected from a pool of all available leaders. Realistic? No, not really but may be workable (since Revolutions does something like this whenever the player cedes control to another leader).

There are ways around this for a possible first step. You can loosely tie in geographically close areas into Empires. For example: Empire of Asia Minor which has plenty of candidates that could form it. Or Empire of Native America that could incorporate the Iroquois and Inca. You could pretty much include most of the leaders by creating this type of arrangement. Not historically accurate? True. But there are already many cases in Civ4 that do not follow history. 4 or 5 imaginary Confederacies of Peoples would not be outrageous if the game will gain a lot from the concept. If I could code it I would go ahead with a beta just to try it and see if it adds to the experience as much as I feel it would. Then, if we all think is the best thing since apple pie, that would be the time to create new leaders that would follow history and fill the various eras for a subsequent official release.

There are ways around this for a possible first step. You can loosely tie in geographically close areas into Empires. For example: Empire of Asia Minor which has plenty of candidates that could form it. Or Empire of Native America that could incorporate the Iroquois and Inca. You could pretty much include most of the leaders by creating this type of arrangement. Not historically accurate? True. But there are already many cases in Civ4 that do not follow history. 4 or 5 imaginary Confederacies of Peoples would not be outrageous if the game will gain a lot from the concept. If I could code it I would go ahead with a beta just to try it and see if it adds to the experience as much as I feel it would. Then, if we all think is the best thing since apple pie, that would be the time to create new leaders that would follow history and fill the various eras for a subsequent official release.

It seems that the better idea wouldn't be to tie in geographically close areas into Empires but to make leaders of geographically close areas eligible to become the next leader in the Dynasty of the empire.

Top Bottom