new patch is on its way: 1.0.1.275, released April, 28th

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly does it mean that Citadels will now project danger?

I assume there's an AI concept that certain tiles are dangerous and that a unit in those tiles could get damaged. This would imply that the AI currently does not consider the tiles surrounding a citadel as dangerous and therefore fails to realise its units can get hurt if they end the turn on them.

Religion really has no place in Civ5, whereas vassal states may have a place, even as a much more limited (functionally) agreement.

This patch isn't a diplo patch, so we'll see what part 2 will look like.

Good stuff!

Put me in the camp that thinks the "much-requested addition" is the replays and graphs. That would be awesome!

I assume there's an AI concept that certain tiles are dangerous and that a unit in those tiles could get damaged. This would imply that the AI currently does not consider the tiles surrounding a citadel as dangerous and therefore fails to realise its units can get hurt if they end the turn on them.

To be positive, it's nice to see they are adding some modding support to be able to remove certain features.

The rest, I'll wait and see on but it seems to be more polish than anything upon casual observation.

Oh and Polynesia got a big boost with: •Terrain Improvements: Allow Moai to be built over top of resources.

Seems pretty OP to me now. :eek:

Good changes here, although MP fixes are sorely missing; where's the "end turn =/= can't move" and "more than 3 players" patch :p.

It's getting there.

I didnt play the game for the last 4 months, but seeing some AI changes in the patch gave me some hope that the game will be fixed someday.

What annoys me is that they went wrong in prioritizing "first things first", for example last patch focused on balancing the game and looked like a mod more than a patch, while priority of the patch process should be in the following order:

1- Game Crashes and bugs
2- AI
3- AI
4- AI
5- AI
6- Multiplier
7- Game Balance
8- UI
9- Modding and other stuff.

I dont mind to see fixes on all areas but there are some big issues that must be fixed before anything else.

Anyone know what this means?

I was wondering about that too, but it appears this will add 'allied' as a status in addition to friendly.

Hoping this will make friendly AI easier to manage over the long term, especially if the current opinion code is bugged.

How does the patch work with Steam? Do I have to manually go somewhere to download it or will Steam notify me next time I open the game up?

I didnt play the game for the last 4 months, but seeing some AI changes in the patch gave me some hope that the game will be fixed someday.

What annoys me is that they went wrong in prioritizing "first things first", for example last patch focused on balancing the game and looked like a mod more than a patch, while priority of the patch process should be in the following order:

1- Game Crashes and bugs
2- AI
3- AI
4- AI
5- AI
6- Multiplier
7- Game Balance
8- UI
9- Modding and other stuff.

I dont mind to see fixes on all areas but there are some big issues that must be fixed before anything else.

Disagree. If the game balance had been put off this long, the game would be all but dead by now. The AI is fine except some bug-type weirdnesses for the vast majority of the community - few people play on the highest difficulty levels.

I'd prioritize bug fixes, game balance and modding above AI, personally. Bugs are obvious... Game balance is the thing that matters the most to the most players... and modding gets the community working on fixing problems in the game, which is going to substantially increase their productivity when it comes to fixing those same things (they've already shown a willingness to 'borrow' from mods). Once the full C++ source is released, for example, I'm sure some parts of the community will immediately begin working on upgrading the AI.

I don't think that they are "de-prioritizing" diplo, just that it takes longer (I would guess).

Disagree. If the game balance had been put off this long, the game would be all but dead by now. The AI is fine except some bug-type weirdnesses for the vast majority of the community - few people play on the highest difficulty levels.

for me and many other players the broken AI ruins the game and makes it dull, I rarely enjoy the game because I dont see any challenge from the AI and I lose interest quickly.

Sadly, highest difficulty does not make the AI more interesting but makes the game more annoying. Highest difficulty just gives the AI extra bonuses and less handicaps, which means the AI will not be smarter but only have more units and less unhappiness , but in the end it will be the same stupid AI you are dealing with and nothing is changed at tactical or strategic level.

Also some weird AI behaviors were reported by many players, like not capturing an easy to capture city (even empty cities in some cases), no idea how to line units, poor great people management (you see them wandering around doing nothing) .. and a long list of "Must to fix" things that we dont see in any patch list even more than 7 months have passed since the release of the game !

I dont want to turn this thread on more complaining about the AI, but I am just wondering what the heck they were doing in 2kGames in the last 7 months ?!

How does the patch work with Steam? Do I have to manually go somewhere to download it or will Steam notify me next time I open the game up?

Steam will just download it when it feels like it. Steam is like that...

for me and many other players the broken AI ruins the game and makes it dull, I rarely enjoy the game because I dont see any challenge from the AI and I lose interest quickly.

Sadly highest difficulty does not make the AI more interesting but makes the game more annoying. Highest difficulty just gives the AI extra bonuses and less handicaps, which means the AI will not be smarter but only have more units and less unhappiness , but in the end it will be the same stupid AI you are dealing with and nothing is changed at tactical or strategic level.

Also some weird AI behaviors were reported by many players, like not capturing an easy to capture city (even empty cities in some cases), no idea how to line units, poor great people management (you see them wandering around doing nothing) .. and a long list of "Must to fix" things that we dont see in any patch list even more than 7 months have passed science the release of the game !

I dont want to turn this thread on more complaining about the AI, but I just noticed what the heck they were doing in 2kGames in the last 7 months ?!

I don't disagree that the AI is important. But making the AI able to handle the horribly broken pre-patch systems/balance isn't going to result in a playable game for very many people; fixing the systems is going to result in a playable game for at least some players (anyone who isn't bothered by AI bonuses, plus anyone who isn't enough better than the AI for Prince to be trivialized, which is a surprising number of players if you go by the achievements).

Add to this the fact that if you fix the AI, then fix the game balance, you have to go fix the AI again. Do it the other way around and you have a finished product faster.

AI is important. I just think game balance fixes (at least enough to get it into the ballpark of 'finished') need to happen first.

Add to this the fact that if you fix the AI, then fix the game balance, you have to go fix the AI again. Do it the other way around and you have a finished product faster.

AI is important. I just think game balance fixes (at least enough to get it into the ballpark of 'finished') need to happen first.

I do agree that we need both AI and game balance to be fixed. But I am disappointed to see some major problems totally ignored, and to see the focus is shifted to minor changes.

I was wondering about that too, but it appears this will add 'allied' as a status in addition to friendly.

That is my interpretation, too. Would be awesome if you could forge real alliances, especially if you could form a group of allies that coordinated on various levels (international trade, military actions, etc.).

I do agree that we need both AI and game balance to be fixed. But I am disappointed to see some major problems totally ignored, and to see the focus is shifted to minor changes.

Their inclusion (or lack thereof) doesn't mean they're being totally ignored.

This is an awful analogy, but a pregnant woman getting a raise while 4 months into her term doesn't mean she cares more about her career than the pregnancy.

Some things take time, you just can't hurry results.

Their inclusion (or lack thereof) doesn't mean they're being totally ignored.

This is an awful analogy, but a pregnant woman getting a raise while 4 months into her term doesn't mean she cares more about her career than the pregnancy.

Some things take time, you just can't hurry results.

they can write a code for a totally new game in 7 months, but they are busy releasing DLC's :(

Top Bottom