New player - few questions

jcrohio

Chieftain
Just bought the game and have played through 2 games. I am starting to get the feel for the game. I have both Civ 3 and Civ 4 and the hardest part was forgetting things you did in those games because they don't seem to apply to this game.

Question one - my first game was just a fool around and try to figure out the interace and mechanics. Second game was a little more serious. I think I have the beginning and middle game figured out (getting colony set up and decalring independence). The last part though when the King comes after you I am not sure of. He pretty much just went after my two coast towns - I holed up for the most part and thought I was in pretty good shape. He out numbered me but slowly lost a lot of units. Finally with about 40 turns left he was down to 5 land units to my 25. I thought the game was pretty much over. My problem was I never saw those five units again. He just kept sending in his ships to bombard my two coastal towns and hid the last 5 units away somewhere. Forty turns of this and then I lost. Aay ideas? Did I do something wrong? Do you have to go and look for him?

Qustion 2 - I have downloaded three mods/patches - unofficial bug fix patch, Dale Snoopy Patch mod, and the Age of Discovery mod. This game was played using the Dale/Snoopy Patch mod. Are these the mods that most people are using? If so any recomendations on which one and if not can you steer me in the right direction. Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Jack

Age of Discovery II is the best mod out there, and getting better all the time. Currently on version 1.06, and many improvements to the basic game have been made.

About the King's units hiding somewhere... I agree this can be very frustrating. Here is where you might well need some scouts and fast privateers, to scout out the places where those damned last few units are hiding out.

I almost consider it a "cheat" on the part of the game engine. After all if the last King's troops are hiding on some remote island and refuse to even come and fight you, then you should be declared the winner, eh? If I were in this position, 40 turns before the end of the game, I would allow myself a peek in the Worldbuilder. You could say your spies have located the yellow-bellied poltroons, but then you'd still need to get some of your own army way off over there to knock the stuffing out of them. A little cheat, perhaps, but authorized in this case, IMHO.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Welcome to the Civilization Fanatics' Forums, Jack. :beer:

Age of Discovery II is the best mod out there, and getting better all the time. Currently on version 1.06, and many improvements to the basic game have been made.

About the King's units hiding somewhere... I agree this can be very frustrating. Here is where you might well need some scouts and fast privateers, to scout out the places where those damned last few units are hiding out.

I almost consider it a "cheat" on the part of the game engine. After all if the last King's troops are hiding on some remote island and refuse to even come and fight you, then you should be declared the winner, eh? If I were in this position, 40 turns before the end of the game, I would allow myself a peek in the Worldbuilder. You could say your spies have located the yellow-bellied poltroons, but then you'd still need to get some of your own army way off over there to knock the stuffing out of them. A little cheat, perhaps, but authorized in this case, IMHO.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Thanks for the help - makes me feel better that I am on the correct path - as far as using the World Builder - it was late last night but I think I tried that and still could not find them - does that make any sense? - with this thought in mind I stumbled on some posts about alternate victory conditions - do you guys play the custom scenarios (I think that is what they are called) where you can set your own victory conditions and if this is true which ones do you use?

Enjoying the game and will probably take your advice and play AOD 2 - by the way which level do you play on - my game was on the easist level based on the postings about how hard this game is

Thanks
Jack

"by the way which level do you play on - my game was on the easist level based on the postings about how hard this game is"

The game is initially hard, epecially if you've played other versions of Civ, because old strategies don't work very well. So you're on the right track playing your first game on the easiest level. I'm playing my second game on the middle skill level, and it's turning into a cakewalk, so once you get a win under your belt and understand what works and what doesn't feel free to escalate the skill level considerably.

Top Bottom