New Tech Quotes

Synthetics
There are many reasons for carrying out the laboratory synthesis of an organic compound. In the pharmaceutical industry, new molecules are designed and synthesized in the hope that some might be useful new drugs. In the chemical industry, syntheses are done to devise more economical routes to known compounds. In academic laboratories, the synthesis of extremely complex molecules is sometimes done just for the intellectual challenge involved in mastering so difficult a subject. The successful synthesis route is a highly creative work that is sometimes described by such subjective terms as elegant or beautiful.
John McMurry, Organic Chemistry 8th ed. (2012)
I know this is too long. Maybe there is a sentence or two to cut out?

Typically, the goal of synthesis is to construct complex organic chemicals from simpler, more readily available ones.
K. Peter C. Vollhardt, Neil E. Schore (2011) Organic chemistry : structure and function 6th ed.​

I'm not really looking for textbook quotes anyway.

Infrastructure
“As long as the Interstate is the highway supporting our society, economy, and national security, it will forever need to be the beneficiary of our attention and investment. The ribbon cuttings will never end!”
Dan McNichol The Roads That Built America: The Incredible Story of the U.S. Interstate System, 2003

“The Interstate program was the last New Deal Program and the first space program, combining the economic and social ambitions of the former with the technological and organizational virtuosity, the sense of national prestige and achievement, of the latter.”
Phil Patton Open Road: A Celebration of the American Highway, 1986

“More than any single action by the government since the end of the war, this one would change the face of America with straightaways, cloverleaf turns, bridges, and elongated parkways. Its impact on the American economy—the jobs it would produce in manufacturing and construction, the rural areas it would open up—was beyond calculation.”
Dwight D. Eisenhower Mandate for Change 1953-1956 (1963)

I just did some random googling to see what pops up. I don't necessarily know the "quotee" for this one.

For measurement:

"Every line is the perfect length if you don't measure it." - Marty Rubin

Laser
" When God said 'Let there be light', he surely must have meant perfectly coherent light." - Charles H. Townes, co-inventor of the laser.

Last edited:
I did some additional research, including looking into the tech quotes for Civ5 and Civ6 which is such an obvious approach I should have thought of it sooner. In any case, I have found adequate quotes for all techs except Charter, and also found replacements for a couple of existing quotes:

Alchemy

"All is interrelated. Heaven and earth, air and water. All are but one thing; not four, not two and not three, but one. Where they are not together, there is only an incomplete piece." - Paracelsus

Artificial Intelligence

"The mystery which surrounds a thinking machine already surrounds a thinking man." - B. F. Skinner

Feudalism

"I will to my lord be true and faithful and love all which he loves and shun all which he shuns." - Anglo-Saxon Oath of Fealty

Infrastructure

"Everything in life is somewhere else, and you get there in a car." - E. B. White

Journalism

"The press is the best instrument for enlightening the mind of man, and improving him as a rational, moral and social being." - Thomas Jefferson

Laser

"The night is far spent; the day is at hand. Let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light." - The Bible, Romans

Leverage

"Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." - Archimedes

Machinery

"Instrumental or mechanical science is the noblest and, above all others, the most useful." - Leonardo da Vinci

Navigation

"The winds and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigators." - Edward Gibbon

Measurement

"Measure what is measurable, and make measurable what is not so." - Galileo Galilei

Metal Casting

"When pieces of bronze or gold or iron break, the metalsmith wields them together again on the fire, and the bond is established." - Sri Guru Granth Sahib

Radio

"A world without radio is a deaf world." - Ernest Yeboah

Railroad

"The introduction of so powerful an agent as steam to carriage on wheels will make a great change in the situation of man." - Thomas Jefferson

Superconductors

"What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing, that resistance is overcome." - Friedrich Nietzsche, The Antichrist

Supermaterials

"The matter lies before the eyes of all; everybody sees it, touches it, loves it, but knows it not." - Lucas Jennis, The Hermetic Library

Synthetics

"Nothing on this earth lasts forever. Except maybe plastic." - Patricia Dunn

So that leaves only Charter. I'm currently thinking about renaming it (again) into Commune, though, so no time spent on it yet.

Top Bottom