New Xbox basically kills off used games

Have you ever read a terms of service by any company? They all reserve the rights to royally screw you if they want to. It is called covering all the bases. Corporations have to do it. The TOS you quote is related to the European Union, and is part of that protection, but in no way means they are withholding authorization. In fact, the executives of the company are specifically saying they ARE NOT withholding, and never will.

Neither the current EU Xbox terms of use nor EU Playstation terms of use from July 2013 expressly prohibit selling games: https://web.archive.org/web/2013082...laystation.net/ps3-eula/psn/e/e_tosua_en.html

Shuhei Yoshida is the farthest thing from a random employee. You labeling him that has proven you know absolutely nothing about the Playstation platform or who runs what. If you go into a restaurant and have a problem with the menu, you talk to the manager. Shuhei Yoshida is the manager, not the fry cook, not the waiter, the manager.

Doesn't seem very effective if he's posting on Twitter that his actual website is wrong.

Are we new to the evil of boilerplating?

Yes, the hypocrisy is more of a problem than the boilerplating.

Haven't game licences theoretically always been "non-transferable"?

No.

Civ4 (Take-Two) License:

You may transfer the entire physical copy of pre-recorded Software and accompanying documentation on a permanent basis to another person as long as you retain no copies (including archival or backup copies) of the Software, accompanying documentation, or any portion or component of the Software or accompanying documentation, and the recipient agrees to the terms of this Agreement.

That says software, which could include things other than what they HAVE EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED publicly, through numerous outlets for two decades. Nowhere in this does it say you cannot resell your games, period. It is a clause in the TOS to defend their rights to software they do not allow redistribution of. Such as demos, promotional stuff, etc. This kind of article defends against piracy, as well, if you want to get technical. You can't make illegal software or physical copies for resale, much like DVDs or CDs.

That says software, which could include things other than what they HAVE EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED publicly.

I'm pretty sure "herp derp feel free to ignore our terms of use" on twitter by a single employee doesn't invalidate them.

Nowhere in this does it say you cannot resell your games, period.

How on earth are you accusing me of needing more reading comprehension skills?

It says it right here, again:

Not to mention you also need express permission from the game publisher.

That says software, which could include things other than what they HAVE EXPRESSLY AUTHORIZED publicly, through numerous outlets for two decades. Nowhere in this does it say you cannot resell your games, period.

Six lines down on the first page:

2.2. "Software" means PlayStation game and application software developed to operate on one or more of the Authorised Systems

If I wanted to post fanboyish stuff about the XB1, I'd post stuff like this.

Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady frame rate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.

While the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts has been confirmed by Activision to run at a lower resolution than its PS4 counterpart (720p upscaled to 1080p native, respectively), that numerical difference is less meaningful than you might imagine.

The two versions look nearly identical. Viewing the Xbox One release next to the PS4 , I had difficulty telling them apart. It's possible that the PS4 version looked somewhat sharper, but that may have just been my imagination after confirming the hard resolution difference. The next-gen releases of Call of Duty: Ghosts are so close together that gun to my head, I'd have no confidence in being able to discern which version was which — at least, while the two are standing still.

The Xbox One release's framerate was far more noticeable. As mentioned in the initial review, Call of Duty: Ghosts suffers from consistent framerate drops on the PS4, especially during multiplayer when action got especially hectic. The Xbox One version suffered no such drops, maintaining a steady 60 frames per second throughout.

For a multiplayer shooter, framerate consistency is paramount. Given its relative visual parity with the PS4 release, Call of Duty: Ghosts is a more playable, slightly superior (albeit disappointing) game on Xbox One.

:mischief:

All the hardware stuff is less important these days. The systems are almost the same, and seems to me it depends more on how well devs take advantage of each system's architectural quirks, as opposed to outright horsepower.

Actually I think it's clear at this stage that the PS4 is going to be faster out of the blocks graphics-wise, and it won't be until (a) developers start using that funky 32MB superfast ultra-high bandwidth RAM chip in the XB1, and (b) MS developers figure out a way of freeing up resources from e.g. the Kinect when it is not being used (~10% of system resources are tied up in the Kinect, which is inaccessible to developers presently), that the XB1 will be able to output the same raw pixels as the PS4.

Re that article, I'm not at all surprised that a game running at 720p has a more consistent framerate than a game running at 1080p. Nor am I surprised that, in reality, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to image quality. But that's hardly the point: the point is that 1080p is better than 720p, and the game devs clearly found in testing that, as droppy and laggy as it might be on the PS4, it's even worse on the XB1.

My initial impression remains the same though: If you're only interested in games then get the PS4, but if you're interested in the other "lifestyle" stuff like the Kinect, videos, internet explorer, bing, and all that other junk, buy the XB1 ;) . I'm a huge fan of the Kinect, but right now it isn't worth the premium either in £££ or in system resources.

Yeah, I mean even on average to the end-user experience across all games, including exclusives, over the life of the consoles.

And I still don't agree with your initial impression, you can just ignore features that you're not going to use, having Bing and IE doesn't somehow make Call of Duty worse. Also, I haven't had a chance to try them out, but I'm maintaining that the XB1 is going to have across-the-board better input peripherals. :p

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...-with-the-playstation-4-is-full-of-surprises/

This seems as good a time as any to talk a bit more about the redesigned DualShock 4 controller. I’ve been using a version I bought from Gamestop on PC and Mac games for a week or so now, and overall I’ve found it to be a huge ergonomic improvement over the DualShock 3 (even if game compatibility has been a constant issue). The wider grips feel nicer in the palm, the indentations on the analog sticks make it easier to maintain a thumb grip, and the concave shoulder triggers are significantly better than the slippery convex ones on the DualShock 3. I’m not sure I’d choose it over the classic Xbox 360 pad yet, but it’s a much closer contest than it was before.

I wonder if any Playstation users will finally admit that the DS3 is a pretty sucky controller.

I'd probably give dashboard functionality to Sony though - the PS3 dashboard is pretty awful, but the PS4 looks much better (like the controller), and Jesus Christ MS, let me get rid of ads without needing to block them on my router. :(

You got space feva hobbsy, and the only cure is more space.

Well that and lead solder. Need more solder. :yumyum:

Oh please you probably are wishing for a giant blue Anglerfish looking alien from the Bullet Cluster to come visit you right now :lol:.

I own a PS3 and the DS3 sucks balls. I thought it was universally accepted that the XBox 360 controller was the finest gamepad around?

Top Bottom