Newbie needs help with fatal error C1067: compiler limit

LoneTraveller

Warlord
Hi.

I'm fairly new at this SDK thingy but I'm having a problem that I don't seem to be able to find the answer on Google. I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 and CodeBlocks.

I'm trying to merge Dale's RTW with Super Spy Mod. I'm having problems compiling a file named "CyGameInterface.cpp" in my project it is the last file listed in the "build log" tab before the process is terminated. The error message I receive is :

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include\memory(498) : fatal error C1067: compiler limit : debug information module size exceeded

I want to know how to define some python classes in C++ so that I can make them inherit one another so that the final class would contain all the .def() in the present CyGameInterface.cpp file (Each class would be in a different file).

Please help.

PS: If someone with experience with Visual Studio 2008 and Windows SDK could tell me how to configure it appropriatly, I would love it since I believe that the C++ toolkit 2003 compiler is the cause of my problems.

Thank you for your time

Well, I'm really not the person who knows this sort of stuff. So someone step in to correct me if I'm wrong. But I know you can't (or rather no one has figured it out yet) build a debug gamecore with Codeblocks. If you need to make a debug dll, you'll need to use Refar's guide and MSV 2005

Edit:
I can't find Refar's Guide anymore. Anyone know where that is? Maybe I should just reupload it to the database and put it under tutorials, where it's not...

Anyway here is glider's 3.19 makefile:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8191788&postcount=323

This may sound stupid but...I have never build a dll before. So tellling me to make a debug.dll is vague. So are the posts I have read around about this creation of M$ thingies.

I used to be a linux kinda guy (the last linux system I made was Sarge with an network, graphic card drivers, Winex and Vice city installed...It ran good...except when it was raining...then it lagged) so DLL making is something I never heard of (even less learn) about.

I think I need something like : "SDK modding for educated programmer who have no idea how a microsoft environment works and all the details that it implies."

Thanks for your time

I thought you were trying to compile a debug dll. Because of this line:
c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003\include\memory(498) : fatal error C1067: compiler limit : debug information module size exceeded
Which you can't do with codeblocks.

Anyway if you're not trying to make a debug gamecore, I suppose just turn that off in codeblocks? I don't know, I've never used codeblocks.

This is the tutorial I followed to compile gamecores, before I started needing debuging ones. You can go ahead and follow this tutorial:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=196283

For the makefile, just use the one in the link in my post above.

Refar's excellent tutorial is here.

LoneTraveller, you won't find this difficult at all; I am certainly not a programmer and have no familiarity with C++ or any of that, and using the above tutorial, it was a snap. Especially once you've done it succesfully once, it's like riding a bike. I have no idea what I'm doing but if I chant (type) the Holy Words and enter them in the appropriate Sacred Boxes, it works.

Allow me to translate some linux knowledge to Microsoftese.

Under linux, I would typically edit my files using emacs (you can do that on Windows too if you like, or use vim). On Windows, you can use a plain editor such as UltraEdit, Notepad++, etc.

Or you can use an IDE such as CodeBlocks or Microsoft Visual Studio (the express editions are free). The nice thing about an IDE is that it will index your code so you can right-click on a function/variable and say "Find All References" to get a list of every place in every file that calls/accesses that object. This is fabulous for navigating a large codebase such as the SDK.

A DLL is a shared library (ELF), but for our purposes you can think of it as a program. The DLL is the final product that you insert into the game for it to use.

You build the DLL using a compiler and linker (the free Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit) exactly as you would use gcc. To make it easier, you use nmake which operates just like gnu make using a makefile.

When building, you typically set up one or more build profiles in the makefile. A build profile has compiler/linker settings so you can have a Debug profile that #defines _DEBUG, links to a debug shared library, and turns on assertions and a Final_Release (a.k.a. Release) profile that #defines NDEBUG, links to a non-debug shared library, and disables assertions. This way you don't have to modify header files to change profiles--you just specify a different target to nmake.

can we compile the DLL with MS Visual Studio 2010 Professional??
i have read the Refar's tutorial but still no luck..

i have install MS Visual C++ toolkit 2003 and add the path in the makefile
but, i can't install the PSDK in my computer.. is that could be the problem?? ( i used the built in MS SDKs instead)

the error usually such as "Unresolved symbol external"...blah..blah...

Top Bottom