Newbie needs Sugar

Crotonmark30

Chieftain
I am playing Brave New World
My citizens want sugar to be happy
I just don't know how to get it
I have polled the capital cities that I can see and nada sugar
Do I just need to wait?

Also - sorry for two questions - if my scout is out exploring and sees a resource - Deer or horses for example. Is there anyway I can make that resource mine?

TIA
Mark

There are 3 options to obtain luxury resources:

1. You can find a resource (including sugar) on map, settle a city up to 3 tiles from it and improve it. Note, that the resource must be inside your borders - city borders expand up to 5 tiles, but you only should consider 3 when settling cities. And even 2 in some situations. If you want to speed up the process, you can buy the tiles in city management screen with cash.

2. Trade with AI - you can check whether one of the AI leaders has it through diplomacy screen and trade for it (they need to agree :)).

3. Each City State has at least one luxury. If you ally them, you automatically get the luxury (and strategic resources as well) the moment they imporve it and you have the technology needed for that luxury.

Sometimes you are unlucky and get quests from either your own cities or city states for luxuries that are extremely sparse. It might be just 1 or 2 on the entire map and it's hard to get. Nothing can be done about that.

Also - sorry for two questions - if my scout is out exploring and sees a resource - Deer or horses for example. Is there anyway I can make that resource mine?

TIA
Mark

If you want to be able to work the deer or horses(which I assume is what you mean), you simply have to build a settler and settle whithin 3tiles of the resource. To build a settler, go to your choose production screen, and the very top option will be a settler. Build one of those and follow the instructions above to settle. Keep in mind that your city won't grow while building a settler, which isn't ideal if you're one turn away from growth.

Thanks. Was hoping that there was another way

Horses can be traded or gifted by city states, as explained above, deer can't, but it's not luxury nor strategic resource, so it's only good if you work that tile. If you don't settle nearby, you don't work it and it has no value whatsoever.

There's kind of a fourth option for gaining resources: if you have a Great General (easily obtained through Honour), and the resource is within two tiles of your borders, and you can get the GG to touch the resource and your border, creating a Citadel will give you an instant land-grab and - Workers making a plantation etc notwithstanding - acquire you the resource.

You can even do it in rival territory. Though be prepared for the consequences if you steal land - the previous owner will not be happy.

Not one bit.

Sugar is easy. Wait until your capital demands nutmeg, pepper or cloves (unique luxuries that only Indonesia gets) - that's when it gets interesting... and expensive. :D

And there's a sneaky fifth way of obtaining luxuries if you play as the Portuguese - the Feitoria.

If you don't have a certain luxury and no other civ has it, even though the whole map has already been settled, don't forget to check the city-states. Usually one or more of them will have the missing luxury in that case.

I've have seen it where the luxury exited outside the boarders of another civ, and never get worked.

I just went to war with Sweden to stop them from taking the last Babylonian city.

After their army and navy was wiped out I offered peace but instead of cities I asked for sugar which they gave me.

So if you're at war with someone and it's going badly for them offer terms that include you getting whatever it is you need.

Top Bottom