Newbie Questions - ask here and get answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is straigtfromthebox civ, right? then, the city gives 2 food (default) + cattle bonus. -1 for despo - that's it. cities are neither irrigated nor mined!!!!!

Was that changed in a patch? I have only played w/ 1.21 and 1.29 patches so I don't know about a non-patched game.

Originally posted by Lt. 'Killer' M.
I think is was in 1.21 wheere they set the city square to always give 2 food 1 prod + taxes.....
Actually, the city square produces how ever much food one citizen eats, not neccesarily 2 food. But in an unmodified game a city square will always produce 2 food, no more, no less. Doesn't matter if the square is irrigated, if there is wheat on it, whatever, it will produce the amount of food that one citizen eats.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
This is my guess/theory on that, kinda hard to explain, but hopefully you'll understand what I mean......

It's because there is only one slot to put for each unit to upgrade to. The computer reads that unit is upgrading to a Rider. If the civ can't build Rider it goes to the next upgrade which would be Samarai. If the civ can't build samarai, it goes to war Elephant. If the civ can't build war elephant it defaults to knight. Sort of like a process of elimination. Because for horseman they don't have 4 slots to put in there that horseman upgrades to samarai, war elephant, rider, and knight depending on the civ that is playing. Without this, I don't think you would be able to make custom UU's upgradable (or other units upgrade to this). Just a guess, haven't really tried adding a new UU.
I'm a bit confused by this, for two reasons:
1. We are talking about what UU's upgrade to, not what upgrades to UU's. An unmodified civ won't have 2 UU's, so you would never see UU's upgrading to other UU's. However, like in your horseman example, regular units can upgrade to different UU's and non-UU's, and in those cases it would make sense, but that's not what I'm talking about. And besides, why does it have to say the UU, and not just say the regular unit? At least IMO this would make more sense and not be as confusing.
2. The units that some UU's upgrade to don't make any sense anyway. A rider replaces a knight, so it would not upgrade to a knight, nor anything that replaces a knight. Same with some other UU's. Do these UU's not upgrade at all? I remember that, at least without any patches, the Rider upgrades to calvary. Unless it is different in 1.29f, why doesn't it say cavalry?

Originally posted by willj
I'm a bit confused by this, for two reasons:
1. We are talking about what UU's upgrade to, not what upgrades to UU's. An unmodified civ won't have 2 UU's, so you would never see UU's upgrading to other UU's. However, like in your horseman example, regular units can upgrade to different UU's and non-UU's, and in those cases it would make sense, but that's not what I'm talking about. And besides, why does it have to say the UU, and not just say the regular unit? At least IMO this would make more sense and not be as confusing.
2. The units that some UU's upgrade to don't make any sense anyway. A rider replaces a knight, so it would not upgrade to a knight, nor anything that replaces a knight. Same with some other UU's. Do these UU's not upgrade at all? I remember that, at least without any patches, the Rider upgrades to calvary. Unless it is different in 1.29f, why doesn't it say cavalry?

The logic is a bit convoluted, but this seems to be the idea:
When you select a unit to upgrade, the game offers the most advanced unit you can legally build. If we ignore UUs, then the upgrade path is:

Chariot->Horseman->Knight->Cavalry

So if I have a horseman, and I have the tech for Knight but not for Cavalry, the upgrade will be to Knight, my highest legal option.

But it seems that the upgrade paths are only allowed to be linear, without branches. So while we may think of the path WITh UUs as

Chariot->horseman->Knight (or Samurai if Japanese, or Rider if Chinese, or...)->Cavalry(or cossack if Russian )

[I know, there are some missing]

the way the game implements it is:

Chariot->horseman->Knight->Samurai->Rider->Cavalry

and then if I am Chinese it sees Rider as a legal upgrade from horseman, but if I am Japanese it considers Samurai the highest legal upgrade, and so on.

Then when both those civs get cavalry, both see that as a legal upgrade.

It seems a bit convoluted to present it that way. It would APPEAR to allow for the possibility of a Japanese Knight still having an upgrade path to cavalry. Which might indicate the possibility of buying other civs units??? (Just a random speculation for a future 'feature':))

Did that make sense, or did it just confuse everyone more :crazyeye:

Thanks, MadScot, I now understand. Actually I should have understood from what Bamspeedy said, but I didn't, and you made it clearer for me. So this is how it goes:
Chariot->Horseman->Mounted Warrior->Knight->Rider-> Samurai ->War Elephant->Cavalry->Cossack->None.

And this is why, for example, it says that Rider upgrades to Samurai when it really upgrades to Cavalry.

However, my question still stands as to why it's like this. Why doesn't it say Rider upgrades to Cavalry? Or Horseman to Knight? More than one unit can be listed as upgrading to the same thing (I was able to do that in the editor), so why don't they do that? Maybe I'm just being picky but it would make more sense like that, and plus this question and confusion would never have been brought up. ;)

Yes, more than 1 unit can upgrade to the same thing, but how would you make it so horseman upgrades to all those different things? The horseman itself only has 1 slot to upgrade to. That is why they have it like that.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
Yes, more than 1 unit can upgrade to the same thing, but how would you make it so horseman upgrades to all those different things? The horseman itself only has 1 slot to upgrade to. That is why they have it like that.
Oh yeah, I forgot about units upgrading to UU's (I was only thinking of UU's upgrading to units). Never mind then, I guess it's okay... :)

I think that it's something that will eventually occur (upgrading to the highest with no middleman). Like a Rider to Calvary with no Knight in between. That's what I think.

But I don't have that problem b/c I don't build units very often. Dangerous? Oh yes. In a modded game where I was Egypt I was discovering Wonder advances so quickly that even three cities couldn't balance it all out. Thebes had just one Spearmen, and Memphis is just beginning to build Infantry. I have 80+ limit on troops, but only have 44 units.

So by the time I get to upgrading them there's no weird thing going on.

Seems crazy how much of this thread is concerned with how to deal with mods. Maybe time to fray into two threads. There are certainly enough purists and enough modders to keep two sets answered.

Originally posted by philippe
Yes aggie
Go look at preferences

well...I went to the preferences and choose 'pop-up after building unit'. I couldn't find any other preference that would do the trick, at least that is what I think......

It didn't work, I still have to go to all my cities to be sure that they build what I want....

Come to think of it...has this something to do with the fact that I choose to let the gorvernor decide what to build???

I've got patch 1.29

This is the best thread ever! :cool:

I have a question about the United Nations in the game.

Is it possible that other civs will vote for me (im the most powerfull nation by far) even if i fought a lot with them during all the game?

I built UN exactly because I want to AVOID the votation, fearing that I can lose the game if another civ built it, because I suppose that the only who can start the votation is the UN owner, right or not?

Thanks in advance.

This has probably been asked before but theres like 19 pages in this thread and im far too lazy to read through them all so here it is:
Do resources which only appear in certain terrain types (e.g jungle) still appear in that position if the terrain is cleared?

I didnt phrase that too well so heres an example:

I have a city surrounded by jungle. I havent yet discovered replacable parts so rubber has not yet appeared. If I clear the jungle will it still appear when i discover replacable parts?

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by Wardog
Is it possible that other civs will vote for me (im the most powerfull nation by far) even if i fought a lot with them during all the game?

I built UN exactly because I want to AVOID the votation, fearing that I can lose the game if another civ built it, because I suppose that the only who can start the votation is the UN owner, right or not?

Thanks in advance.
That's right; the only one who decides when to have the vote is the UN owner. If you build it, the turn it is built the game will ask you whether or not you want to call a vote. If you select yes, a vote is called for, and if you select no the game will ask you again every 20 turns. If you don't want a vote, then just keep selecting "No."
And once being, or still being, at war with civs can make them less eager to vote for you, but it is still possible, especially if you bribe them with money and techs right before the vote. The best evidence of whether they'll vote for you or not is probably their attitude (furious, polite, gracious, etc.). If you think you might lose the vote, then it's probably just best to not call for one, since if you lose, the game's over (and you lost).
Does this answer your question?
Originally posted by Mr Happy
Do resources which only appear in certain terrain types (e.g jungle) still appear in that position if the terrain is cleared?

I didnt phrase that too well so heres an example:

I have a city surrounded by jungle. I havent yet discovered replacable parts so rubber has not yet appeared. If I clear the jungle will it still appear when i discover replacable parts?

Thanks for your help.
I am not 100% sure, but I think it will still appear. I do know that it will stay if you clear the terrain after it appears.

Mr. Happy:

I always cut down any jungle in my territory and I always have a source of rubber when I get the tech for it so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Rubber seems to be one of the more plentiful Strategic resources. Just make sure you have a decent sized empire & you should have at least one source when you discover the appropriate tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom