Newbie Questions - Ask here and get Answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy. First time I've posted, though I've been playing Civ for years and CivIII for a week now (I finally caved in). Searched through the various forums/fora but can't find an answer to these questions:

1) Why can't Settlers be airlifted? I'm guessing that it's because the Settler represents ~10,000 people, but I doubt it'd be tougher than a division of Modern Armor . . . (I could just edit the properties, but that seems cheaty.)

2) Is it just me, or are the "Huge" maps not all that huge? In the initial Earth_Huge .bic, the UK is large enough for *maybe* two cities.

I'm playing CivIII vanilla, 1.29f. Does PTW allow for larger maps? I saw one PTW scenario that looked ~4x larger than the ones I use.

If these are repeat questions, I'm sorry. Thanks.

2. With the latest patches, huge maps are 160X160. They used to be 180X180, but they got reduced in size, I'm guessing because many people were complaining on how slow the game is later on.
Marla's world map is something like 255X215 (I'm just guessing, I can't remember the exact numbers), and with PTW, you could make a map as big as 362X362, but I don't advise it, because of time lag and you easily run into the max # of cities while there is still plenty of land left to claim. There are some world maps in the custom & creation-custom maps forum.
You can go in the editor and under 'world sizes' make the huge map larger for whenever you want to play a random huge map. Just save it as a scenario, so you don't mess up the default game rules.

Originally posted by WildFire
Me again ;)

If you bombarb a civ's city that has the Art of War on the same land mass, and it says the barracks is destroyed, is it really destroyed?

Still would like to know ;)

Originally posted by anarres
Yes WF, it is destryed.

However, this does not mean what you think. Only the 'surplus' barracks has been destryed, and as a result they can't disband it for the cash. The free barracks are still there and can not be destryed.

Exactly who are you bombarding anyway? ;)

Edit: Damn server "upgrade" :mad: :rolleyes:

Isn't that it?:crazyeye:

The last part is right.:lol:

Did Sid have a big part in the making of civ3? I know it says Sid Meier's Civ3, but I was wondering if they just bought the name off of him and made the game or what.

Originally posted by WildFire

Still would like to know ;)

Well, at least 3 people answered your question, but because of the server upgrade they all came before your question. :lol:

OCC means One City Challenge. Check the FAQ, stickied just under this thread. There will be a section there for Acronyms.

OCC= One City Challenge;
that means, you restrict yourself to have one city only for the entire game (5CC is another common special variant)

:wallbash:
Beaten. Twice. And the *time machine* wasn't the reason. :(
:lol:

Originally posted by blahz
Did Sid have a big part in the making of civ3? I know it says Sid Meier's Civ3, but I was wondering if they just bought the name off of him and made the game or what.

No. He was more of a idea-maker and gave feedback, but did not activelt participate in the programming or final decision.

heh, thanks. that was my first post and i got 3 answers within 5 minutes. this seems like a pretty great forum.

Originally posted by Peebo
heh, thanks. that was my first post and i got 3 answers within 5 minutes. this seems like a pretty great forum.

depends on when you post. US early morning is rather dead.

aside from that: you usually get help here in minutes.

Question:

If you have a very high tech cost does the AI carry on plugging in 30 or 40% (or even more) in to science, even though it is doing the minimum 40-turn research?

I have an intuitive answer, was wondering if anyone had anything more concrete.

Question: Does an AI civ's attitude toward you worsen if you contact them, but then end up not making any kind of deal? (You know like when you contact them, but then see they dont have anything to trade, so you just hit "Nevermind")

Also: What are some other ways to strengthen the AI's opinion of you? (Besides the obvious ones like trading, not breaking agreements, giving into demands, etc.)

Thank you for your time! :goodjob:

I have noticed that the AI is more agressive after I downloaded the 1.29 patch.

a Have I imagined this?
b) Is it a consequence of my agressivness?
c) Some other reason?

I have noticed that the AI is more agressive after I downloaded the 1.29 patch.

a Have I imagined this?
b) Is it a consequence of my agressivness?
c) Some other reason?

Im not sure if this was introduced with 1.29f, or the PTW expansion, but the AI has gotten more aggressive. It likes to sneak attack alot more now, ie, if you have a poorly defended city, then it will attack it regardless of how strong the rest of your empire is.

Hope that answers your question :)

Originally posted by Gainy bo

Hope that answers your question :)

Yup, thanks. I thought that my civ. wasn't tough enough and went on a "mad" units building spree which allieviated the problem somewhat but not entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom