NewNES - Our Origins

I'll take Záxai! Hopefully I can get a story; in any case, there will be some diplomacy. When is the deadline?

The Parable of the Idiot and the King:
Under a long-set sun, an idiot met a king by the roadside.
The idiot greeted the king with a smile. "Hello! I'm the village's idiot, and I've come here for water."
The king did not believe his ears. "You are the village's idiot? Why do you say that?"
"Everyone told me," said the idiot. "But they let me get the water, as long as I ask for help. I don't know enough about water to not need help." He shook his empty bucket.
"I will help you get water," said the king.
"You know where it is!?"
"I know everything." The king puffed up: "I am the king of these lands!"
"Wow!"
And so the king led the idiot to the water, and let him fill his bucket, and guided him back to the village. He said goodbye, knowing that he had helped a subject and feeling very charitable.
Meanwhile, the idiot set the bucket on a bench, and said, "I've gotten the water!"
"How can that be?" asked the townspeople. "You've only been gone ten minutes."
"A king showed me the way. He knew a special place to find water, that only kings know about."
They tasted the water and spat it out. "Idiot you and idiot king! This is salty seawater!"
For even idiots stop asking for help when you crown them king.

OOC: Just a short little passage, not too important.

No deadline just yet, but I think I'll set one between the 30th and 6th. :)

I wanted to set it this weekend but I feel I am just slightly too late. Monday I had an incident with caustic soda and my kitchen sink, and I got a fever the same day, so it's been awesome to lie around in the smell of death, sweating and with a headache.

Next week I'm too busy to do anything.

I'll update the nation list later today according to player claims.

@ork75 - I don't know enough about shipwright to be wholly sure about this, I'll read up on it, but while you're not explicitly saying it, I'm not going to get Viking level ship design, sorry. xD While the story of Scandinavian technological development doesn't wholly line up with Mesopotamia, we're still a few milennia before that point, and yes, it had to do with a naval base of transportation, it was also part of a specific kind of forestry that isn't really present on your islands. Yes, the first longships are from a few centures BC but they're quite the same as the epitome designs in the Viking age. You will still be great seamen with shipbuilding at a higher level than your neighbours, this and your seafaring culture is reflected in your power.

@p4rk3r - You're in! Your culture will see the rise of a "state" next update.

@Jehoshua, I'll be a real response for you later today. I want to make a true reply in character as appropriate.

Last edited:
@ork75Viking level ship design

The intention wasn't viking ships so much as Polynesian, Indonesian, and/or native Pacific northwest designs.

More quick questions:

1. What's the approximate year length in days?
2. How many planets/moons are visible (and what are their orbital periods)?

The intention wasn't viking ships so much as Polynesian, Indonesian, and/or native Pacific northwest designs.

NP then :D

More quick questions:

1. What's the approximate year length in days?
2. How many planets/moons are visible (and what are their orbital periods)?

The year is about the length of our earth, and the night sky has one pale moon visible - basically those two things are pretty much the Earth default. Lesser night sky features such as strange colored but dim spheres (ie probably planets in the solar system) I want to leave up to the players as not many play with it anyways. However, there's not a lot of these hints of planetoids, similar to their rarity on our own night sky.

All player claims have been formally granted and updated in stats.

Some active NPC engagements may show up tomorrow or Sunday. Until then, here's Jeho's deserved answer (sorry about the wait - also I saw you sent orders very quickly, and if you want to change anything there, you're allowed to).

-

Responding NPCs:

To: The Djaghi of Djaghun (Djaghi)

Long will we remain blessed by the presence of our western brothers, you are a people wise as Djehara preaches. For this we trust that you see the divine matter of things, reflected in heaven and earth. We remain on the river of bounties unseen in the west, but you speak of our Usarath as if he is godly desolate as the Desert. Recognize that our Usarath is as divinely given as yours and you will have our arms laid in line with yours.

OOC: Acceptance of alliance if you recognize the political, and especially religious, legitimacy of the T'aerathi Usarath. This does not necessarily remove the legitimacy of your own, but you understand that it may change a few things.

-

To: The Usarath of Djaghun (Djaghi)

Not long does it last between letters from our traders spit on or given vile looks in your lands. While the Kakut are menacing in the matters of Ma'atot, godless infidels, they treat us as equals, and your priest-warriors laugh at our simple matter of coin. We will accept the proposed engagements, but see to it that your visitors are treated as respectably as they deserve; our matters of trade are our matters of faith. Spit on a trader, and you spit on Ma'atot's divine hand, and you shall see consequences.

OOC: They want to accept the trade pact, including reduction of tariffs and restrictions, but send a fair warning that to them, traders are rulers, and should be treated as such; if not, there may be consequences.

NPC activities in the eastern theater:

Teku and Nara have entered a trade agreement, commonly lowering tariffs.

Kakut has demanded from Nara that it only arranges trade deals with its priest elite as mediators, asking a transfer 1 EP directly to Kakut's government as administration costs. Nara denies, and Kakut is angry, threatening destruction. Nara then gives in, giving Kakut's government power over their mutual trade and 1 EP in support for the policy. Kakut traders are furious, while Teku traders keep their business going as usual, hoping to slip under the hood.

Tjoxai threatens to raid Yakouray unless a tribute of 1 EP is paid. Yakouray remains quiet towards them for now.

-

To: Esheway

Paraxai raiders threaten our coasts. We are peaceful peoples, protectors of the whales. Please send your forces to the beaches of your brothers, safeguard what is good in the world. This madness is only to be stopped by those that are right and good; they burn the lands, desecrating the homes of the Asker. Do what's right - send your troops to us, and stop them if they come.

(OOC: They want you to send soldiers to their lands to protect them against Tjoxai raiders.)

Trade is the boon of the land. Bounties grow from the seas, see the fish jump and they sprout into wealth! We jest, but the good practice of peaceful exchange of wealth is the only good thing to do. Agree with us a lowering of taxes on our traders, and we'll do it for you; it will bring our peoples closer together, and bring both of our merchant classes more wealth.

(OOC: Teku offers a trade agreement to Esheway, lowering tariffs and restrictions between the two.)

To: T'aerathi.

-

Our priesthood has studied the canons of Eren'anten and the ancient tablets of the Law. Professing the wisdom of Ma'atot they conclude that it is inconceivable that our Holy Office is the equal or inferior of any other, for unto our holy predecessor was given from the lips of Djehara made manifest the very Law which we profess, and from his hand was bestowed the very rite which we offer unto heaven and the office to proclaim it to the world. So too in our keeping is the holy sanctuary of Enentashugum, the most exalted of places where the deity set his holy feet upon our world. That our office is of divine institution and bears thereby authority from heaven is certain.

Yet nowhere in the holy law whether conveyed from the gods or established in writ by mortal men is it decreed that authority is conveyed to us alone, or that the dignity of Usarath is to be given to one man alone amongst many. Thy right, so long as ye upholdest the Law, keep the true words and offer up the eternal rite unto heaven, to govern and rule the dominions of T'aerathun is undoubted, so too thereby is the lawfulness of the utterances of thy mouth. Indeed such is the nature of things that the priesthoods of other lands acknowledging the sanctity of our sanctuary and the divine institution and unique dignity of our office maintain their priesthoods apart from ours, be it that many of them in their folly and pride adopt errant doctrines.

Know then that while it is unquestionable that our office is first amongst the servants of Djehara by divine establishment, and that all owe deference to our magisterium and reverence to our authority on matters of the Law, your right is certain and your religious sanction to govern thy vassal priests is unquestionable. Indeed we are brothers in upholding the holy law and governing the holy Aenari, with the Usarath of Djaghun being the elder sibling.

-

ooc I: Referring to the application and subsequent posts, the office of Usarath is clearly simply the head of the state/priestly hierarchy and the administration of priestly vassal networks [hence why it is mentioned in the society section of the app, not the religious one]. IE it would be wrong to equate it to a pope or divine oracle, and it is primarily political inasmuch as the priesthood is the administering authority of the state [the two being pretty much fused together]. Nowhere moreso is a unitary religious head mandated for the religion. Hence from my perspective it is licit for there to be more than one Usarath per the reality of multiple states, albeit per the post regarding divine manifestations [which I fully intend to update] it is clear [to my state] that the Usarath of Djaghun by right of divine institution [whereas T'aerathun is presumably of mortal establishment] should have greater precedence and authority than any other. This authority may in the future lead to such a unitary religious figure manifesting in Aenari religion depending on political developments through the updates, but it is not inherent to the concept I initially proposed. Aenari sovereigns at this stage are akin more to Sumerian ENSI than to anything else if your need a RL reference.

ooc II: Usarath is asserting his own precedence and superior authority and sanctity by virtue of divine establishment, while confirming the religious and political legitimacy of the T'aerathi Usarath.

-

To: The Council of Nara

It is the edict of the gods that hospitality be given to guests, yet that guests also have obligations to their hosts of courtesy and gratitude for the graces bestowed to them. So it is that on the part of our state hospitality is given to visitors from afar be they merchants or otherwise to the full measure of what we are capable. Yet should such guests betray the obligations imposed on them by heavenly decree and human custom then in due measure the displeasure of our people becomes manifest. So it is that the Kakuti merchants are scorned amongst our people for their impiety, with the greedy merchants thereof who falling to depravity forget that they earn their wealth from the hard labour of the craftsman and the peasant and turn their backs on the decrees of the gods receiving the ire of our servants who in holy zeal cannot conceal their discontent. By reference to Kakuts bad example we beseech your council to remember that while the practice of commerce is nowhere forbidden by the Law, it offers many occasions for sin and relies on the works of others producing nothing of its own. Foolish indeed is the man whose soul is squandered for earthly pleasures that he cannot take with him when he passes to the grave.

Noting then what we have written regarding the hospitality of our state and how impiety begets the displeasure of our people, if merchants from Nara remember the heavenly Law, behave courteously in our lands and do not offend our customs, then so it is that they shall find kindness and friendship amongst our people. If they do not do so then while they may enjoy every courtesy from the part of our state and on the part of our servants by our will, then they can expect only the scorn of our people that you would have us avert, for not even our authority can change the hearts of our people when guests betray their obligations and treat with contempt their hosts. Hence while we hope for the good success of relations between our two peoples, it would be well for the merchants of Nara to remember the virtue of humility, for by humility may relations between our kindred nations flourish.

We pray furthermore that your council remember the hubris of Kakut when receiving this letter, for word has come to use of the arrogance they have shown in dealings with your own state in their lust for gold. The deeds of their errant priesthood reveal the origin of the tribulations that afflict their nation and the certainty that heavens chastisement awaits them ere they repent. Remember well also who has behaved as a brother and treated Nara with goodwill in the days to come.

-

OOC I: Usarath notes the state provides every hospitality to visiting merchants, however it cannot control the opinion of the common people. He also explains something of the Aenari view of merchants and behoves respect for Aenari customs and culture upon guests if they desire good success in their endeavours. Finally he notes Naras recent intercourse with Kakut and bids them recall who between Kakut and Djaghi has treated them with brotherly respect and sincerity.

OOC II: I presume Nara has accepted the proposal as they clearly said "We will accept the trade pact" in their response letter.

-

QUERY

What religion does the priestly elite of Kakut adhere to? Its a diverse polity so it would be good to know, would also suggest the ethnic origin of the ruling class of that entity [whether for instance a ruling Aenari priesthood is being opposed by non-aenari rebels and so on]

Last edited:
Kakut have a Djeharist court. :)

-

ork75 asked, so I'd like to clarify that our technology is somewhere around 1250-1000 BC at this point.

-

Overviews I need to do: cultures, religions, trade & main rare resource areas (for example, I'm thinking of having the Volgar be a site of most of the world's cotton production)

-

While we still need NPC interactions (you're going to get some answers for that too Jeho) I should have all active NPC affairs sent out by monday.

Orders deadline midnight between Friday the 4th of October and Saturday the 5th of October, GMT +1.

EDIT: New orders deadline: Midnight between Monday the 7th of October and Tuesday the 8th of October, GMT +1.

Last edited:
Calendar:
Year zero of the Hamahat calendar dates from the emergence of the islands from the seas. Scholar Shopok-Tan spoke to elders across the Hundred Islands to corroborate the date through oral traditions, and calculated it to have taken place 19,210 years before his own life.
The Hamahat calendar thus is typically written with two parts: millennium and year. Shopok-Tan is reckoned to have been born in 19.170 AH. The first update ran up to the year 19.140 AH; the second will cover 19.140-19.240 AH.
Each year has 6 months (61 days in each), and 366 days.
Months:
Sena-ho-Habit (Time for Wind) - The winds shift, and rain comes again. (Sep-Oct)
Sena-ho-Namama (Time for Mothers) - The onset of the heavy rains. (Nov-Dec)
Sena-ho-Kosha (Time for Rain) - The rainiest season. (Jan-Feb)
Sena-ho-Naeleha (Time for Flowers) - The slow lapse of rain. When many crops are harvested. (Mar-Apr)
Sena-ho-Miida (Time for Dreams) - The mild season. Traditionally, a time of rest after harvest. (May-Jun)
Sena-ho-Konga (Time for Festivals) - The driest season. Excessively pleasant for people. (Jul-Aug)

(This and all Hamahat cultural stuff is collated here.)

Priestly Hierarchy of the Aenari

-

Ancient records of the Aenari clearly indicate that the priestly hierarchy that governed this nation was strictly ordered in a semi-feudal and bureaucratic structure, with strict orders of precedence and grades of instruction amongst its members. Below is an attempt to highlight the core grades and levels of the sacerdotal caste.

-
  1. Priest-King [Usarath]
  2. Priest-Prince [Usaphar]
  3. Grand Hierophant
  4. High Priest
  5. Ritemaster
  6. Hierophant
  7. Lector
  8. Cantor
  9. Exorcist/Diviner
  10. Priest
  11. Acolyte
  12. Novice
-

Usarath: The head of a priestly vassal network, acting as a sacred king and supreme religious overseer for the state. Conceived as the representative of the nation to the gods and the deputy of heaven charged with maintaining the Law.

Usaphar: Subordinate priestly hierarch to the Priest-King responsible for overseeing the maintenance of the ritual cycle and general temple affairs in a territorial area. An Usaphar would indubitably possess a seat on the theocratic council that oversees ordinary state and religious affairs and usually possesses feudal lordship over the city or other territorial holdings under his religious jurisdiction, thus being responsible for their mundane temporal governance as well his strictly religious function.

Grand Hierophant: Grand Hierophants are the chief priests of the cultus of an individual deity in any given Aenari state. Responsible for overseeing the priests consecrated to its service and offering up the deities principal rites, the Grand Hierophants of the most important deities usually hold a seat on the council of state. The Usarath almost without exception would himself hold the office of Grand-Hierophant of Djehara.

High Priests: A High Priest is the chief priest of any given temple complex and the overseer of its subordinate shrines and chapels, and was usually the temporal vassal of an Usaphar or the Usarath himself. He oversaw the estates material and spiritual upkeep, the training and maintenance of its priests and vassal warriors and the welfare of the peasants and craftsmen in its jurisdiction.

Ritemaster: A cleric thoroughly familiar with the eternal rite and with the ritual cycle of the Aenari religious year. Rite-masters oversaw the rituals that managed local society such as agricultural rites, trials, and the like as well as acted as the master of ceremonies for the eternal rite and rites of worship to the gods in order to prevent errors in their practice. Within a temple ritemasters acted as the direct subordinates of the High Priest, and one of their number usually succeeded to the post when the high priest died or was no longer capable of fulfilling the role.

Hierophant: A priest dedicated to a specific god and the practice of the rites appropriate to the given deity. Often delegated jurisdiction over subordinate chapels to the temple deity from the high priest in which case they served as pastors to the devotees of these shrines. They likewise serve in the temple or at yearly rites whenever their god is invoked.

Lector: A priest with sufficient training and knowledge of the divine language and memorisation of the rite to be trusted utter the words of the eternal rite in the temple, and to inscribe the holy signs in the temple scriptorium for posterity. Lectors usually also directly serve the local population by inscribing talismans, enacting spells and conducting blessings at the requests of petitioners who came to the temple for these ends. They also acted as scribes for more mundane ends, writing books on diverse subjects and letters, and were the primary record keepers in the temple.

Cantor: A priest with sufficient training and knowledge of the divine language and memorisation of the sacred chants to participate in rites of worship to the gods. Particularly responsible for the religious songs and chants in rites of worship to the gods and other particular rites. Similarly to Lectors and other higher ranked priests they were ascribed magical powers by the people and so were called upon to enact spells and blessings.

Exorcist/Diviners: An Exorcist is particularly responsible for uttering deprecatory spells to banish demons and hostile spiritual powers, and for conducting rites maintaining the ritual purity of the temple. Usually given to priests who have recently passed the initiatory stages of their training in order to teach them humility and the importance of correct practice and hard work as the job required scrupulous attention to detail and regular observance. A diviner on the other hand is tasked with observing the heavenly signs as well as keeping record of other omens and prodigies and ensuring that proper rites are observed to propitiate negative portents. People also tend to come to diviners to get advice on various matters of the future.

Priest: One who has passed the requirements for ordination and is ready for higher religious initiation. Within the temple usually responsible for the maintenance of sacred utensils, sanctuary areas and often other more mundane tasks necessary for the works of religion [such as overseeing the upkeep of supplies necessary for temple functioning and liaising with lay vassals]

Acolyte: An older trainee who has passed the initial phase of religious instruction, has some knowledge of the language and signs and is usually charged with temple upkeep [such as cleaning] in the less holy areas of the complex and appointed to supporting roles in religious rites [for example playing musical instruments in rituals, holding religious utensils in rituals etc].

Novice : Children born to priestly service or offered up to the gods by their families, have begun religious instruction and education in other areas key to their future roles [arithmetic, reading, writing etc].

Last edited:
Name: Kathlani (or Kaathilana in the native language)

Society:

As the Kathlani landscape is broken apart by mountains, communication and commerce among the Kathlani is fairly difficult. As a result, there is a division between the northern/eastern Sanites, living in the mountains and the jungles, and the southern Kathuni, living in the great Kathun river. The Sanites continue following the tribal customs their ancestors followed, but the Kathuni have began building city-states.

The Kathlani society, regardless of being Sanite or Kathuni, are divided in three castes. Priests are by far the strongest group in society, and not only do they have to attend to the religious sacrifices, they also make the backbone of the bureaucracy, the law, and they are the only ones allowed to read. Hunters, gatherers and warriors are seen as another virtuous groups among the Kathlani competence, being seen as role fathers and defenders of the tribe/city, and they also serve as judges. In the Kathuni cities, peasants, while still having to deal with their daily woes, are also respected as the true followers of Kathunara, the keeper of the Kathun river (more on her on the Mythos section) for their daily struggles. And finally, while there is plenty of trade going on in the Kathlani cities, merchants themselves are looked down upon as being sloths: neither working, praying or fighting, all they do is peddle the goods of others, and in a sense, their status is not much better than the status of thieves and beggars, the only difference being that the merchants have more money and they aren't immediatily thrown in prison. And finally, slaves do the hardest work considered unworthy of the three classes: Cleaners, miners, architects,

There isn't much social mobility allowed between the three respected classes and intermarriage is frowned upon, but they do have their own councils, and the proper government of a city does rely upon the assumption that the three classes are equals who must respect eachother (warriors and peasants must offer respect to priests, off-duty warriors and clergymen are expected to help in the harvest, peasants are the first to be allowed to eat food in times of famine...). The role of women depends heavily on the caste they are born in: Women are forbidden from bearing arms unless it's to protect their children from immediate danger, peasant women generally stay at home attending to the household, but priest women who work hard(er than most men) can expect to gain a place in the upper echelons of society.

The Kathlani govenments in general are made from warrior-sages, two of the most prestigious positions in Kathlani society, and it is one of the few exceptions where intermarriage is not frowned upon. The kings are elected by the Council of Three (made up of the three classes) and their election is confirmed by the taking of the auspices to see if the local spirits approve of the election. The kings are expected to be formidable warriors, but they are also expected to provide religious services, have a vast formation in religious lore, and in the cities, they are expected to listen to the demands of the Council of Three, but the king can take their council or ignore it at his own discretion.

Regarding natural resources, Kathlani lands have a decent amount of tin deposits, which they export to their neighbours. The Sanite tribes living in the eastern jungles also export valuable produce, like cocoa, bananas and palm oil, which are highly valuable among the upper Kathuni classes.

Mythos:

Each of the towns has its own patron spirit, represented by a vast stele located in the center of each town, although the larger cities may have more than one spirit with each having different functions, depending on the needs of the city. The local shamans are the ones to intercede with the spirits, asking them to bless the tribe with plentiful harvests or victory in war, or to curse their enemies.

The Kathalani don't have an unified pantheon, and the only deity that is followed by most Kathalani is Kathunara, the keeper of the Kathun river. She is represented as a woman with ox horns holding a basket, and most farmers will have a small shrine to both their local spirit and to Kathunara, and many cities expect foreigners wanting to live in them to make a sacrifice to her. There is a large temple devoted to her, Kathunasti, next to the spring from which the Kathun river originates in, and most farmers, priests and nobles will do a pilgrimage at least once a year, where they will make sacrifices (generally wheat from their home towns) to the godess in hopes that she will continue gracing her followers with plentiful harvests.

Phenotype: They're dark brown in appearance, with short, wavy black hairs.

Sample sentences:

English: Praise Khathunara for this bontiful harvest!
Sabite: Awaa ta useKatunaara naate takaasaan (lit. Praise the she-Khathunara this bontiful farm-harvest)
Khatun: Awaaa ta usKhatuunara waate kaasaan (lit. Praise the she-Khathunara this bontiful harvest)

English: He who truly hunts for his goal will find satisfaction in life.
Sabite: Unee te naia chaawa we lanaa setni hona rawa (lit. He who hunts his goal finds-will life satisfaction)
Khatun: Unee te naia chaawa we lanaa ni hona rawa (lit. He who hunts his goal finds-will life satisfaction)

English: The mountains are harsh but the spirits will accompany me.
Sabite: Matara sanaa kinada ne upalaana culani upa (Mountains are harsh but my-spirit-guide accompany-will me)
Khatun: Matira sanaa kinada ne upala culani upa (Mountains are harsh but my-spirits accompany-will me)

Claims:

kathalanes.png

@TheGryphonPrince - your culture is approved! Which of the rivers are you calling the Kathun river?

-

Damn we have a lot of theocracies. It's so weird. I'm really excited about it.

-

I had no time whatsoever this weekend to get into the NPC stuff (but at least I recorded the material for my album! It's really good stuff and I'm very excited about it). And I have work until 9 PM, so I don't have time for the NPCs today. Due to this and due to the fact that I want the players to have time between NPC interactions and the orders deadline, I'm postponing the deadline a little bit.

Also yes I accidentally originally wrote 4th of November instead of 4th of October. Regardless, the new deadline is below.

Orders deadline midnight between Monday the 7th of October and Tuesday the 8th of October, GMT +1.

TO: The Leaders of Jen, Ther, and Tusendaxu.
FROM: The Venerable King of Maladoro, His Majesty King Talodefa

Though we may share different beliefs and blood, I believe we all share a desire to make our people's futures bright and prosperous. As to that end, my kingdom wishes to enter into a promise of friendly trade between our peoples. We propose to have our ports be open to each others merchant vessels. We also propose cooperation in keeping the waves free of the vile filth who try and prey upon defenseless merchants and steal their lives and livelihoods. May the light of the Moon guide you to good fortunes.

If you are ignorant of the night sky,
You follow your mother’s transgression.

Our solemn sisters whisper,
But you lack the dignity to consider them.

Every movement is a circle,
But a circle is beyond your reach.

And you weep, asking for mercy,
As your mother’s star tumbles.

But no respite comes to you,
For the omens have appointed you thus.

If you are ignorant of the night sky,
You follow your mother’s transgression.

I'm thinking the Volgar word for Kathun could be Volgadun in semblance of that name. :)

Paraxai raiders threaten our coasts. We are peaceful peoples, protectors of the whales. Please send your forces to the beaches of your brothers, safeguard what is good in the world. This madness is only to be stopped by those that are right and good; they burn the lands, desecrating the homes of the Asker. Do what's right - send your troops to us, and stop them if they come.

(OOC: They want you to send soldiers to their lands to protect them against Tjoxai raiders.)

To: Yakouray

We have consulted the Asker and the signs are clear. We will send some of our best warriors and boat-men to protect your shores. We only ask you to welcome those who would settle amongst you, and allow them to return to us if they wish.

Trade is the boon of the land. Bounties grow from the seas, see the fish jump and they sprout into wealth! We jest, but the good practice of peaceful exchange of wealth is the only good thing to do. Agree with us a lowering of taxes on our traders, and we'll do it for you; it will bring our peoples closer together, and bring both of our merchant classes more wealth.

(OOC: Teku offers a trade agreement to Esheway, lowering tariffs and restrictions between the two.)

To: Teku

To your question we reply: all who pass through our island, or come here to make a trade, must give a token offering to the Asker, or else to cause offence to us all. However, the offering need not be extravagant. It is the giver who shall decide the depth of favour he or she wishes to gain from the Asker. So shall it remain, so long as those of our kind who come to trade with you are likewise not made to give extortionate gifts.

NPC interactions

Between NPCs

Senadii expresses interest in the 'decorative' dog breeds of Ther, wanting to purchase a few. Ther finds this strange, as the breeds are really a thing for elites internally, but eventually this evolves into an interest in a large feast of exchange in Senadii, where they want to ask their neighbours to attend.
Yakouray refuses tribute to Tjoxai, Tjoxai's king is resentful of the situation and sends more threats.

Between NPCs and players

To: Rebellious priests of Jen
Sent in secrecy

Blessed be our neighbours to the west. We have noticed anger amongst you not unlike that within Ther. Our Sekem are as held back as yours by earthly binds, and it is not good justice or good practice of life. We will send you warriors to overthrow the false kings - in return, you would send warriors to return the favor.
(OOC: Ther religious rebels want to incite and win a civil war for the clergy of Jen to remove the monarchy aspect of government. In return Jen will support Ther's priests when they choose to rise, which will probably be soon. Note that Ther is currently Stable, the clergical rebellion may not be powerful in Ther, at least initially.)

To: Huuma, Jen, Traders of the East

We are holding a grand feast soon, and we want our neighbours to join in peace. Ther will send us the strange dogs of their lands, in return we shall introduce them to our own food and spices. Bring your goods to us and let us have a taste - we will ensure the music.
(OOC: Invitation to great feast for Huuma, Jen and any merchants of the eastern lands that would be visiting.)

To: Maladoro

Sometimes visitors are benefitial, we are not Quxexat, as such we understand the boon of free flow of certain items. To let warriors freely into our lands, however? There lies madness! We will trust the strange when it has revealed it is bloodless. However, send your traders here; let us exchange wealth, in the open, and in peace.
(OOC: While me the mod likes the idea of a commonly banded army against pirates, the Tusendaxu don't. They are however amiable towards making certain agreements on trade laws.)

-

We thank the Asker that you would help us against the southerners. Your people are welcome here.

To: Djaghi

It is truly earthly and mockery of the faith to dismiss the spiritual authority of our Holy Usarath. You live in our common holy city and on that you build your crown. We are devastated to inform you that as long as you lack the will to recognize the religious right of our Usarath, we cannot grant you a promise of alliance.
(OOC: This is why it took some time to properly respond to this, it just pained me to answer this to your diplomacy, it was a great attempt. But I simply don't think T'aerathi would accept your presentation. It's true that you assert both are legitimate in earthly matters while the Aenari Usarath is higher in some semblance still. It's a good text but it still definitely makes them angry; it is possible to have religious matters both ways as they're usually complicated (example from the top of my head, the RL Trinity being both three and one entity). But the T'aerathi explicitly asked you to recognize their head of state as equally divine, and you didn't do that. The alliance has failed.)

To: Djaghi

We are graced to hear that our merchants remain safe under the wing of the divine. It is troubling that someone as connected to its traders as the Kakut see no wisdom in free winds, while our southern brethren who thinks it dangerous to hold too much virtue in money provide us safe passage and legal rights. These are strange days, under the Kakut.
(OOC: They accept your proposal.)

-

@Daftpanzer: Haven't replied to this yet, I want to be sure I'm clear; you're stating that there's no direct tariff or tax, but some kind of gift at the discretion the visitor is necessary?

Last edited:
Top Bottom