[BTS] News: BOTM 254 Zara Yacoub, Noble, Starts July 15, 2023

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff

BOTM 254: Zara Yacoub of Ethiopia.

A nice easy game for your summer holidays. I did give a couple of your AI opponents some extra help, but really that shouldn't matter.

Game settings:
Playing as: Zara Yacoub of Ethiopia
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Noble
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: Aggressive AI, unrestricted leaders, no tech brokering, permanent alliances, no goody huts, no random events, rising seas
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Donut! Who doesn't like donuts!!!
World Wrap: None
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: Medium
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Zara Yacoub is Creative and Organized, and you start with Hunting and Mining.

The Creative trait gives +2 culture/city each turn and double production speed of Colosseum, Library and Theatre

The Organized trait gives -50% civic upkeep and double production speed of Courthouse, Factory and Lighthouse

Unique unit: Oromo Warrior (replaces Musketman)
The oromo warrior's strength lies mainly in first strikes: Where the musketman has none, the oromo warrior is not only immune to them, but has one of its own. And it starts with the drill I and II promotions, which between them give 1-2 additional first strikes and 20% less collateral damage.

Unique Building: Stele (replaces Monument)
The stele gives extra culture: +25%/turn as well as the fixed +1/turn of the monument.

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Adventurer Class bonuses:
not applicable

Challenger Class Equalizers:
Oh yeah... you'll do this on Deity level if you want a challenge. Barb tech and AI units are (mostly) the same as on Noble level, so you experts will probably find this challenging enough to be fun but nothing you can't handle.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 15 Jul 2023, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15 Aug 2023.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Hotsy totsy!

I like the traits.

1W looks like a good place to settle: missing out in the forest deer 2E and settling on horses or copper. 🙄

Looks fun. I might give the challenger save a go. Unrestricted leaders is: can mix and match leader and civilization (Byzantine Ghandi, Carthaginian Caesar, etc.)
I think I would SIP for this start. More forest and not using up a river grassland tile.

What is unrestricted leaders again?
Unrestricted leaders means you can get any leader for any civilization, such as Ghandi as leader of the Aztec empire. I am sure it will be confusing as all heck. :devil:

1689190528313.png

Hotsy totsy!

I like the traits.

1W looks like a good place to settle: missing out in the forest deer 2E and settling on horses or copper. 🙄
Take a think about it, roll some random donuts. You will get a feel for the mapscript. You'll be OK.

Well, I actually prefer donut holes. The question is, will this be a real doughnut? Or will the donut hole be removed?

True story: I dictated the above text. I do not believe I pronounced donut differently on any occasion.

What are rising seas again?
I'm guessing our rivals have at least one ally each. Probably Toku is close by to keep his borders closed and keep us contained. All our base are belong to him?
And maybe Humbaba is on a treasure island in the middle of the donut hole.
I'm thinking of settling 1W by the river, unless the scout sees something that will attract me elsewhere.
Is that a coffee jar on Zara's head?

Rising seas are something that happens post-industrial, and randomly removes land tiles on the coast if the global greenhouse gas emissions exceed some value. Win fast, and you will never see it. Go for a Time victory if you want to live a (very understated) global warming.

No coffee on the map, I don't know what people put on their heads. :lol:

What a shame that rising seas doesn't (as far as I know) convert mountains to hills (which would've kinda been realistic) ;)

What a shame that rising seas doesn't (as far as I know) convert mountains to hills (which would've kinda been realistic) ;)
When mountains crumble to the sea
There will still be you and me
-Led Zeppelin

No coffee on the map, I don't know what people put on their heads. :lol:
Maybe it's a cookie jar? Or a helmet ordered as a child. :king:
No, it's a donut jar obviously. Mmmm, donuts :drool:

Top Bottom