News: BOTM 92 --Starts July 15--

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff

BOTM 92: Wang Kon of Korea - Outsourced

You play as Wang Kon of Korea at Emperor level (Contender save). All of the mine-able resources on the single main landmass have been outsourced to the islands. Against 6AI leading 6 civilizations - none of which they would normally lead - it should be a lot of fun learning the best ways to deal with the world.

Good luck, and have fun!

Game settings:
Playing as: Wang Kon
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Emperor

Starting Era: Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No goody huts, no events, no barbarians, and unrestricted leaders
Victory Conditions: All enabled

Map settings:
Map: Big and Small (one continent)
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Temperate
Sea level: High

Wang Kon is FIN and PRO, and you start with mysticism and mining.

The traits give the usual,
Financial +1 commerce on plots with at least 2 commerce.
Protective Free Drill I and City Garrison I promotions for archery and gunpowder units. Double production speed of Walls and Castle.

Unique unit: Hwacha (replaces catapult)
Unique unit for Korea; Replaces Catapult
+50% vs. Melee Units
Doesn't receive defensive bonuses
Maximum of 75% damage to enemy
Causes collateral damage
Immune to collateral damage from other Siege Units
Can bombard city defenses (-8%/turn)
Cannot attack amphibiously

Unique Building: Seowon(replaces University)
Unique building for the Koreans; Replaces University
+3 culture
+35% science
Required to build Oxford University

Starting screenshot

This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Adventurer Class bonuses:
You play on Monarch level, but starting units will be Emperor level and your score will be discounted by 15%, and you will not be eligible for fastest finish awards or high score medals.

Challenger Class Equalizers:
There is no challenger game this month.

To Enter the Competition:

This competition will open at 00:01 am on 15 July 2015, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.

Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 15 Aug 2015.

Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions

Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.

Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...

Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.

We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.[/QUOTE]

I love my catapults. And Hwanchas are even better; but AIs won't have any melee units.
I was thinking Feudalism for Longbow/Hwancha "rush".
There may well be horse resources. So, chariots and horse archers would be even better - no spearmen.

There is a settling choice. SIP or Give up grass hill to move SE (to gain oasis and probably a floodplain) or 2S (oasis and beaver).

I love my catapults. And Hwanchas are even better; but AIs won't have any melee units. ...

...unless an evil mapmaker chose opponents with melee unique units that do not require resources.;)

Oh, and in case you misunderstood... minable resources on the continent were not deleted, just outsourced to the islands.

Oh, and in case you misunderstood... minable resources on the continent were not deleted, just outsourced to the islands.
That was clear enough.
What isn't clear is whether galleys will suffice to get to those mineral rich islands.
And whether said islands are occupied by evil AIs or just awaiting our colonists.

...unless an evil mapmaker chose opponents with melee unique units that do not require resources.;)

Great! So our opponents consist of 3 Montezumas and 3 Sitting Bulls, right? And seeing as it's the evil kcd_swede as the mapmaker, the only route to the islands with the resources will be via their capitals?

On the upside, settling looks easy. Offhand I see no reason not to settle in-place.

Great! So our opponents consist of 3 Montezumas and 3 Sitting Bulls, right? And seeing as it's the evil kcd_swede as the mapmaker, the only route to the islands with the resources will be via their capitals?

On the upside, settling looks easy. Offhand I see no reason not to settle in-place.

Stop trying to mislead the newcomers, as you know full well, it is not the leader but the Civilization that determines the unique units/unique buildings. So more like 3 Ntive Ams and 3 Aztecs,:p just kidding... you get what you get.:devil:

That Fur Resources looks pretty Mineable to me. ;)

Warrior moves 1NE and then the Settler decides between in place, 1NE (no Stone but possibly other stuff), or 1SE.

I prefer Warlords' Hwachas, as you can literally spam nothing but Hwachas there. In BtS, with siege units that cannot kill, their value is reduced, although their survivability is at least increased.

Of course, if there actually are 6 AIs with Melee-based Unique Units, then Hwachas become incredibly important to spam.

Actually that's a good point, Minou. Perhaps that gives a reason for settling 1SE (as well as the possibility that there may be more floodplains to the East. In-place will get short of food later in the game).

Question is: Do those reasons outweigh the loss of a turn moving, and not being able to build a levee later on?

man, super fun BOTM themes this cycle around

great job staff

True about the levee, though wether you ever build one depends on if you want to go to space.

Hmm...metals outsourced to the islands. I wonder if naval blockade missions might have their day in the sun.

Back playing BTS after years away. :)

Had to buy another copy (Steam version) as my old disk is AWOL. But it was worth it. Played a few warm-ups on Monarch over the last month, now time to step it up, like the good-old-days.

(It took me about 4 hours to get the Steam version to work with Buffy. But we got there in the end!)

(It took me about 4 hours to get the Steam version to work with Buffy. But we got there in the end!)

We all make mistakes; yours was buying the steam version. Good thing you got it working in the end. Good luck with the games :)

Top Bottom