[BTS] News: BOTM120 Starts December 07, 2016

Where does the 3 :health: come from? We get 1 :health: from crabs after we have a fishing boat on one. No additional benefits before additional structures are built.
We start with 2:health: and crabs add the third. So we start losing food at pop4 already. Normally there is fresh water, giving an additional 2:health:.

Might be worth moving the settler 1N to see what's up there and a little to the west. If SIP looks best it would delay that by a turn but wouldn't add extra delay to settling somewhere on the 2E line.

Where did you hid the archers in the screenshot?

Deciding where to settle is tough. I really have no idea.

You start with only a Scout and a Settler. No archer for you until you learn archery!
When in doubt where to settle, plains hill is never a bad idea. The raging barbs might be something to consider as well.

When in doubt where to settle, plains hill is never a bad idea. The raging barbs might be something to consider as well.

If you can guarantee us there's another hill if we settle on the ph ;)
No production if not, and tbh that's even worse for getting some barb defense and workboat.

It's also killing the only forest in sight lol, sure ph helps but if you are left with nothing but flat land afterwards..

PH to the east might work.

I hope there are some more resources then crabs on this island. Also hope it is not only ice outside of vision. If I remember correctly ring has a lot of ice in the middle.

Also hope it is not only ice outside of vision. If I remember correctly ring has a lot of ice in the middle.
I remind you of the words "and the turning of your ice into green" by the mapmaker.

If you can guarantee us there's another hill if we settle on the ph ;)
No production if not, and tbh that's even worse for getting some barb defense and workboat.

It's also killing the only forest in sight lol, sure ph helps but if you are left with nothing but flat land afterwards..

Completely agree with that. In this case settling on the plains-hill looks like it won't even speed up production, because unless there's a land-resource or another forested tile just the other side of the PH, the extra hammer from settling on a PH will be cancelled out by one food+hammer less than normal from whichever non-city tile you work.

Besides, I think I've come to the conclusion that the best start (or least-bad start? :) ) would be to grow to size 4 while building workboats and researching BW, then whipping a worker if we feel at that point that one is required. That strategy kinda depends on having that 3H PH tile to build the workboats with!

Seems we need a test out a few ideas. Settling on the plains hill might be worth the risk. Even without another hill, working the unimproved crabs while you build a work boat isn't that bad since the commerce is important too. The workboat gets built 8 turns slower (original numbers were wrong, 2H vs. 4H by settling in place) but your city is growing at the same time and you are getting research towards mining and bronze working. Bronze working gets you that much closer to slavery so you can start whipping out a 2nd workboat perhaps and then growing to whip out a settler or worker.

So settling in place and building the workboat in 8 turns means by turn 16 you have 32 food (need to work out when you get 2nd pop), at least +24 commerce beyond the capital's commerce with the financial trait I believe working the improved crabs for 8 turns, 8 hammers to the 2nd workboat.

settling on the plains hill without any other production means by turn 16 you have 30 food (pop growth must have happened) and at least 45 extra commerce and your first workboat but no hammers towards 2nd workboat. Not that bad and exploiting whips and overflow might be able to compensate for lack of hammers plus leaves more room for 2nd city...

It is not a clear cut decision which is better.

Last edited:
Uggg.. I did it again. My memory is not what my memory is not what... what was I going to say? I'll fix, and thank you for the notice, and help to fellow players.

Top Bottom