News from the Front Lines

Jezner

Warlord
Things were going great during my first game of civ3. My American empire was pretty well expanded with a large military force composed of warriors and horseman. I was the most technically advanced civilization. I was at peace with my two flanking neighbors - the Romans and the Chinese. My people loved me. I was a hero.

Then it all came to an end. Quite painfully.

One fine day in 1120 AD, the Romans asked me for money for protection so that "my puny civilization would not one day just disappear" Spoken like a true wise guy. I was shocked. I was outraged. But I let it pass, opting instead for a troop buildup along our borders in case things got hairy. Still, all was okay.

The Chinese and I started a right of passage pact. And that was good.

A few years later, some Roman horsemen and warriors crossed my border and started wandering around. I contacted the Caesar demanding he withdraw his troops. Caesar apologized for the tresspass and said he'd pull out immediately. The next turn, he moved even deeper into my territory.

That slimey mofo.

I contacted him again. This time, "We're having trouble getting in touch with our generals. But don't worry, we'll pull out."

Getting in touch with his generals? A blow-off line if there ever was one. I did the only thing a peace loving man would do. I declared war.

Right away I sacked one of his northern border cities, stealing a nice tasty 7 along with wonderful Roman wine. I also staged an assault on a southern city, hoping to have a two pronged incursion into Roman territory. But the Roman's pushed me back to my own city.

Then the Roman horsemen came. An unstoppable force seemed to be pouring out of every city. Ceasar had evidently built up for a awhile. With brute force they easily reclaimed their lost city, then staged an assault on my border city. They took it no problem.

I realized I might have bitten off too much so I asked the Chinese to get involved. Their military wasn't the best, but they still had numbers. They were reluctant to get involved in a prolonged war but a little monetary donation helped them see from my point of view. They agreed the Romans must be stopped. So what did the Romans do? They staged a massive assault on China's flank.

Meanwhile, they were unstoppable just charging down my throat, taking my cities left and right. I ended up holding them back at a city the people lovingly named "Horses" because of all the horses in the area. If the Romans took Horses, I'd lose my strategic resource and be left to fight them with warriors.

My progress during the great iron mining expedition was indefinitely delayed because of all the barbarian activitiy in the area. Iron was the key to this war, so I put all my workers on the task.

Meanwhile, the Romans were beating the snot out the Chinese. It was no surprise that a peace deal was announced. With peace between the two nations, the Romans began to really hammer me in key areas. I lost more cities. Then they did something really arrogant. With the use of settlers and galleys, they started building settlements in my capital area? WTF? In the heart of Wankerland, Roman cities were being constructed.

I started getting nervous. All my cities were now building military units, but I was losing money. The romans were pounding the fair city of Horses, and they sent serious detachment of horsemen through my territory. My workers were getting closer to the iron, but the barbarians were infurious.

At this point, my units started to really pumping out. I wiped out the Roman settlements in my capital area, decding to raze them to send a stern message to the Roman mofos. And then I charged. And got slaughtered.

The Romans kept moving north. In a climatic battle, the Romans sacked the city of Horses. I pulled my forces back.

The Chinese informed me that a right of passage was not in their interest any more.

And my workers finished a road to the iron. Oops. The Chinese built two settlements in that area, effectively claiming the iron as their own. Right under my nose. Those bastards. Iron was key in this war. The Romans didn't have any and neither did I. I did the only thing I could.

I waged war on the Chinese. I sacked the city the Chinese city holding the iron, then tried to declare peace. The Chinese refused to talk to me.

The Romans kept advancing. I had no money in my treasurey. And the Chinese were mobilizing their troops. One thing left to do. Beg and grovel. I contacted the Romans and demanded the war be put to an end. They laughed at me. I tried again. More laughter. So I pleaded. They agreed on the condition I give them my newly aquired chinese city - my only iron resource.

I could see where they were going. In a nutshell, they were asking "Give us the swords to kill you with". If I gave them the city, peace would reign for a few turns, but they'd be back on the warpath. And the Chinese. Well, they were marching through the newly aquired Roman territoy, evidently flaunting a rite of passage pact.

Endgame. Check, and soon mate. I hit retire. I let the computer mock me.

This was all on Chieftan. Talk about needing a new strategy.

Well it looks like when I get my copy (UPS delivering it tommorow) I will have to be careful with my strategy. This will definately be worth the wait.

As an appendment to this tale of woe, I started a new game. This time I chose the Greeks on a chieftan level huge map with 15 other civs. I easily became the best civ. No problems like before. I just kept on builiding and building new cities. There was no let up in the expansion dept.

And colonies are a god-send.

My culture is rapdily expanding and eating into the neighboring egyptians, and the babylonians are starting to sweat because of my increased military units near their bases.

But they aern't my concern. On a far away island, the Roman empire is struggling to leave the ancient times. I'm gong to wait a bit before I start testing my military technology on their population.

One thing is certain, they are going down. And my, my - it is going to feel good.

One thing I'm beginning to notice at least for me in terms of strategy changes is number of units. People are complaining about the governors wanting to build another pikeman in a city that already has three military units in it, but I'm beginning to wonder if the governor isn't on to something....

I used to have only two units in my bases at one time. A good veteran phalanx with city walls could normally hold off any attack. Man - has that changed. Every city I buid, I have been including at least 3 units with city walls being a requirement. When I get into a higher tech, I think I'll want to have each city have at least one cruise missle as well.

Wow. This just goes back to the old adage, whack them before they whack you.

Top Bottom