Next, an Immortal Challenge?

Do you want to see an Immortal Challenge?

• Yes, let's do it!

Votes: 57 91.9%
  • No, there are too many of such threads already.

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure the ones posted here really belong in the stories and tales forum. When I read that forum there's always fairly wacky variants imo and sometimes even an emphasis on narrative > playing :p The threads in this forums generally look at specific strategies, especially the EMC/ALC threads, so I think they fit in nicely here. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a subforum. It would just mean that I spend more of my time there ;)

I'm one of the permanent readers of SGs.
I've read dozens of them.
I also read spoilers for GotMs.
Those threads are somehow nearer to 1 person SGs than to strategy. I like those threads a lot too, when they are well written, like Aelf and Sisiutil do.
Putting them in a sub-forum isn't going to change the fact that they are interesting to read IMHO.

Ok, you guys debate on whether there should be a subforum or not. I'll just work on the thread when it comes up. Good idea? :p

Ok, you guys debate on whether there should be a subforum or not. I'll just work on the thread when it comes up. Good idea? :p

I cast my lot with the Yea's. It may be boring for someone at acidsatyr's level to see a fairly straightforward Immortal-level game at this point, but I'm writing as one of the Joe Sixpacks who doesn't have time to play enough games to actually learn the higher difficulty level strategies (in other words, not just copying "So-and-so's Deity Win Strat"). I still find it very interesting to see how what I've managed to learn at lower levels falls apart because of the different dynamics at higher levels. And this isn't trying to run down acid's opinion, either. Just a different POV from him, that's all.

On a marginally more personal note, you and Sisiutil both do a very good job with these "Challenges" posts. It's not just a series of screen shots and short "I researched this and that to get these" sentences - you both do an excellent job explaining the thinking, both long and short term, behind your actions, and fleshing out the strategic plan and how it changes based on your in-game discoveries. For that reason alone, I think you should do this. Whether it's a straightforward game or a self-imposed variant, at least I know there will be some insight into the game and the strategy involved.

As for the whole forum/subforum issue, well, I'm with futurehermit: It really doesn't matter to me, I'll just spend more time reading where these threads wind up. :)

I think a subforum is a good idea, not because there are too many succession games , i've really enjoyed aelf's and Sisiutil's succession games here and also games by acidsatyr and Snaaty, uberfish and others. It's just easier to track and follow these games when they are ordered in a sub forum.

As for the Immortal challenge, go for it. Just as you I win most of my emperor games nowadays. Time to move on. I've never played immortal 2.08 myself and i think it won't be easy.

There is no "So-and-so's Deity Win Strat". There even no
"So-and-so's Immortal Win Strat". Yeach of higth level games is different and any particular start will not work in every game.

Opposite is true. Every start that work on low level could be used on deity in RIGTH CONDITIONS. Trick is to decide which stat is right and implement it correctly.

Sure, I didn't say no-cottages-at-all variant and certainly heavy oriented FE/SE can still have cottages here and there, i.e. low food city. Whether or not I will build cottages around capital city depends on starting location, i.e. if city has lots of food and has access to some early happiness I would probably not go for cottages at all there (and deff. not if I'm philosophical). I am more impressed with production boosting aspect of buearocracy rather than commence one. Also I've stopped building academies altogether and only build them in rare cases really. But seems lots of high-end players have different strategies which is always good so that’s why it would be more fun to do it, and everyone could learn something. I still firmly believe philosophical trait and the way it’s played is much stronger for research on immortal than financial civ with cottages is and that production is more vital than research, tho obviously one can’t go without other.

HI Acid

I've read a number of your games/SGs and see that do much prefer the SE/FE route. Have you played many games with a financial civ at high levels? How do you play then?

I agree that these threads are not the same as narrative threads. There may be a blurring of the lines at some points in some threads, but lumping everything together under "Stories and Tales" is not quite right.

I agree that these threads are not the same as narrative threads. There may be a blurring of the lines at some points in some threads, but lumping everything together under "Stories and Tales" is not quite right.
I'd agree with that. The purpose of these threads is to discuss strategy. If there's a story in there, it's just gravy; it's not the main point.

HI Acid

I've read a number of your games/SGs and see that do much prefer the SE/FE route. Have you played many games with a financial civ at high levels? How do you play then?

yeah i played financial civs with cottage spamming, rarely does one start with SE and then goes to cottages :lol:
What I do in game would depend on game itself, but I would use some strategies that are almost necessary like lots of drafting and use of slavery, and these are just harder to utilize when you are concentrating on cottages rather than farms. In any case I would rarely build cottages early in game. I don’t know how to answer you question.

Actually, I don't usually build cottages early in the game either. As they say, food and production are more important early in the game, and getting that library up in your capital too ;)

I agree, except I'm of the mindset that if you start with the prereqs for pottery ag/wheel or fish/wheel and you have sufficient floodplains then go and cottage them first off. Floodplains still provide surplus food and the cottages will help your research out.

yeah i played financial civs with cottage spamming, rarely does one start with SE and then goes to cottages :lol:
What I do in game would depend on game itself, but I would use some strategies that are almost necessary like lots of drafting and use of slavery, and these are just harder to utilize when you are concentrating on cottages rather than farms. In any case I would rarely build cottages early in game. I don’t know how to answer you question.

Thanks Acid, that is what I am after, unless you want to start a cottage based game for us all to watch ;)

Top Bottom