Next War Appeal

Feitoria

Chieftain
Hi All,

I've been enjoying my first game of Next War, but at the same time reading about all the problems with it on this forum!

I know about the file correction (numnukes =... etc.) trick to (hopefully) prevent the "Cracked Egg" event, but is there still any way to get Resource Depletion to work?

I've got the patches for vers. 3.13, 3.17 and 3.19, but all links (that I've found) for a resource depletion patch seem to have gone dead...

Hope this isn't now "off the radar". Any help appreciated!

btw, I downloaded and installed "JKP1187's Events 3-17", but there doesn't seem to be any way to actually start (or continue) a NW game once the program is up and running! (Not sure if this deals with resource depletion anyway? :( )

Aw c'mon, guys. Surely someone must have Next War up and running properly (i.e. with resource depletion)?

Although I cannot help you with Next War (sorry!! I just haven't played it for several years!), I can tell you that Rise of Mankind has a Mod-mod called A New Dawn. That has an optional component called 'Resource Depletion', which does exactly what it says on the tin, and is functionally identical to resource depletion (or at least, the description of resource depletion) in 'Next War'.

It also comes bundled with alot of other stuff, however, and you are likely to get in over your head. It also doesn't help that the mod creator prefers Realism over Balance (or rather... more so than I do ;) I am a real balance-freak :p), so some of the mod components are... less than balanced. The AI is skilled and nasty, however.

Anyway, for starters, I would suggest that you download Rise of Mankind version 2.9, download the patch to 2.91, download A New Dawn version 1.73 BETA (1.72 is unstable and unsupported, and resource depletion is bugged in 1.71 and 1.72), and then install the following mod components (These are the most balanced of the lot)

{Ice Breaker} Meteorology {Realistic Diplomacy} {Seafaring } {War Prizes} Arctic {Espionage Process} Forestation {Sea Tunnels} Terraforming {Lead From Behind} {Event Images} {No Storms} ANM {Historical Wonders} Formations {Mega Civ Patch} {Better RoM} Withdraw Depletion Guilds {Modern Corporations} {Coal UI} {Improved Artwork} {Airbase Range} {Civic Diplomacy} {Better Air Interception} Research Wilderness {Trading Posts} {Spy Satellites}

However, EVERYTHING except Depletion and Better RoM can be ignored if you want a bare-bones Rise of Mankind with Resource Depletion.

Now... unfortunatly, there are more settings to do. Start a custom game with the mod loaded. You probably want Revolutions on (Your people rise up against you if you mistreat them... it is a little overwhelming, but many things are balanced against it, it sort of assumes you are playing with it on. You can play without it, but that is like playing with 'No Espionage' on... not quite balanced), so the default settings of everything else should be fine.

Now start a game (don't bother with any other settings). Push CTRL-ALT-O. Now you have MORE options!! Fun!! (Seriously, it is!!). You need to go into DCM settings, and disable EVERYTHING except Super-spies (Of those selections, only Fighter Engagement (NOT Fighter active defence), Advanced Bombing missions, Super Spies, Assassination and Bribe options are balanced. Again, feel free to experiment if you like one of them...)

Save your game anywhere, and quit. Reload again using custom game, and you are ready to go.

Note: This is all 'installation / setup'. If you want to play a second game, simply start up another custom game. Everything (except game settings, unfortunatly) is saved automatically :D

It is alot of effort, but well worth it. And before you ask, Rise of Mankind DOES include future units. But it has far more than puny Next War... sure it has Titans (equivalent to Dreadnoughts in Next War, except Dreadnoughts are now an early-industrial ship ;) Thus the name change), but you also get orbital bombers and fighters, Tesla Infantry, and if you instal ANM (Advanced Nukes Mod) you can even build the 'PlanetBuster', a nuclear weapon that has an effecitive nuking radius of AN ENTIRE FREAKING CONTINENT (As well as a mind control nuke that insta-converts a city to you, and a biological weapon of mass destruction that pollutes the land, making it completely useless, and poisons cities ... far better than the 'Biological Missile' of Next War!).

You will probably have to wait a while if you want a fix to "Next War", however. Not many people frequent this side of the forums. Sorry if this is not what you want!

Thanks for your reply, digitCruncher. RoM certainly looks interesting, though I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to such a major mod at the moment:crazyeye: (looking forward to another vanilla BtS to be honest!). Thanks for all the info, though -- much appreciated. I've managed to download a .rar of v.2.91 from FileFront (quite a feat, if others' comments are anything to go by! :D), and will refer to your instructions when I take the plunge! (Can you recommend a good torrent program btw? Thanks! :))

Agree with you on the importance of balance, btw; my impression is that it's an under-appreciated concept, and one reason why I think resource depletion is fairly important for Next War! :D

Top Bottom