NFL Off Season 2017

Still games to be played for some teams, but a fair number got the jump on black Monday and are already shopping for coaches...so we need a place to talk about that.

49ers launched Chip Kelly, Chargers fired Mike McCoy, and Kubiak retired from Denver...and that's just today. Rams, Bills, and Jags were already looking. Any bets on who gets canned tomorrow?

Rumor in LA is that the Rams are making a play for Sean Payton, by the way.

Is the Kelly firing comfirmed? Last I heard Baalke was out and Kelly was going to have a meeting tomorrow with management to discuss his future. I mean he's basically out at this point. But the axe hasn't technically dropped yet, as far as I know.

Yes, Kelly is officially out... http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000767884/article/niners-fire-coach-chip-kelly-after-one-season

Kubiak out of Denver is not so much of a surprise, given his health condition...I thought he was going to be HC for at least another year but with a different OC, given the trainwreck Denver's offense has been over the past 2 seasons...I don't really know who is gonna take charge now...Kyle Shanahan, perhaps? As long as it's not Rex Ryan or Fisher...I think the Broncos are an O-line and perhaps an elite TE and RB from being contenders again...It remains to be seen what Elway will do with the draft and free agency...

Broncos could promote Wade Phillips and hire an OC. If they bring in a new HC they would be wise to make keeping Phillips part of the deal, and giving Phillips some say in who he works for. His contract is up and I think they would be foolish to let him go.

CBS is reporting that Pagano may be fired (although that will likely depend in which side of the bed Jim Irsay wakes up on).
Interestingly, they are reporting that Bill O'Brien may "part ways" with Houston. I could see O'Brien not liking getting a QB sight unseen, but
if there is anything to this, there must be other stuff going on as well.

Kyle Shanahan has reportedly agreed to interview with the Jags. This could actually be a decent situation, given that
the front office has shown it's willing to be patient.

Interviews are fine, but I'd be surprised to see anyone take a job until the Denver job is filled, unless for some reason they know they have no shot there.

Whether launching Chip Kelly is something to go bananas over or not really can't be judged until we see if anyone even remotely qualified to be an NFL coach is willing to take a job under the soup sandwich that is the front office there. I'm expecting another "Tomsula? No, his only real qualification is that he was willing to take the job. Why do you ask?"

Whether launching Chip Kelly is something to go bananas over or not really can't be judged until we see if anyone even remotely qualified to be an NFL coach is willing to take a job under the soup sandwich that is the front office there. I'm expecting another "Tomsula? No, his only real qualification is that he was willing to take the job. Why do you ask?"

Firing Trent "We're raising the chocorat from 30 grams to 25 grams/day" Baalke will help some. Maybe.
Supposedly McDaniels is intrigued by this opening. Of course many people find a train wreck intriguing, so there's that.

:lol:

Yep. If you light a dumpster on fire people come out to watch too. But finding someone too climb in and stomp out the flames is a whole different trick.

McDaniels does fit under the umbrella of my previous comment though, so there's that.

I'd be surprised to see anyone take a job until the Denver job is filled, unless for some reason they know they have no shot there.

He has no shot in Denver and he knows it, so maybe the 'niners job looks good to him.

Jags keeping interim coach Doug Marrone (good choice) and installing Tom Coughlin as a 'vice-president' who will tell their GM what to do. Not sure why they are keeping the GM, though Coughlin is pretty old so he probably needs an assistant/successor. Overall I'd call this a good play on their part.

The Broncos have hired Vance Joseph as their next HC...I don't know about this move...As Miami's DC, he had the 29th ranked defense in the league, so I don't see him as head coach material...Also, Denver's defense was still one of the best in the league and an offensive minded coach was needed, imo...Chances of Wade Phillips staying as DC are not so good, I guess...

The San Diego Chargers are announcing tomorrow that they are moving to Los Angeles.

Stadium issue didn't really leave them any choice, but this will be a train wreck. I can't think of a single team in the NFL that doesn't have more fans in LA than the Chargers. There's even a bar that calls itself Dog Pound West that turns out a bigger pack for televised Cleveland Brown games than the Chargers can claim. With the Rams new stadium design following the current tech trend of reflecting all crowd noise down onto the field the Chargers aren't going to be able to hear themselves think at their "home games." And when they step out to play the Raiders, who local fans will blame them for having kept out, they will probably have to keep their helmets on on the sideline.

EDIT: They do have a cool new logo though.

Last edited:
The Broncos have hired Vance Joseph as their next HC...I don't know about this move...As Miami's DC, he had the 29th ranked defense in the league, so I don't see him as head coach material...Also, Denver's defense was still one of the best in the league and an offensive minded coach was needed, imo...Chances of Wade Phillips staying as DC are not so good, I guess...

Everything you said here is so obvious that I'm actually having a hard time believing this hire is real.

Yeah I have no idea what they're doing hiring Vance Joseph, that Miami defense has so much talent and yet it was so bad. It looked like he didn't even bother prepping for the Steelers game, like he had one foot out the door. Adam Gase really deserves consideration for Coach of the Year for making what he did out of that mess(especially when you lose your starting QB).

On the other hand, there are reports that he may keep Wade Phillips, which is contrary to what was initially thought, so that could salvage things. Still, if he's going to let Wade run the defense(Joseph has said he doesn't want to call plays on D) then why not hire an offensive-oriented coach to try and salvage that instead?

Maybe the Denver job wasn't as attractive as I was thinking it should be. There is that air of "we lack a bunch of players, but this is Denver so you better produce a championship" about the place, and we know there will be no coach's input on personnel...

So maybe the fresh faced young coach looking for his first chance was their only option.

There seems to be some controversy around what the Chargers new location name will be... to LA or not LA...

I like the ring of "Southern California Chargers" or "SoCal Chargers" or "California Chargers" a lot more than "Los Angeles Chargers" tbh.

It also has the benefit of being a (small) olive branch to the fans they are hosing by picking a locale that still ostensibly includes them.

There seems to be some controversy around what the Chargers new location name will be... to LA or not LA...

I like the ring of "Southern California Chargers" or "SoCal Chargers" or "California Chargers" a lot more than "Los Angeles Chargers" tbh.

It also has the benefit of being a (small) olive branch to the fans they are hosing by picking a locale that still ostensibly includes them.

That went really poorly for the California Angels. Placating the few by snubbing the many is not the best business plan ever devised.

Top Bottom