NHL playoffs 2017

Whelp. Guess that's it for the Habs (okay, there's 9 minutes to go, but the way the last three games have gone...). Deserve it, too : they played good hockey the first three game then apparently decided they were tired and wanted to play golf or something (New York played good, too)

The Habs lacked what they've been lacking for the past two years : the ability to not fold like a house of card at the first strong headwind.

This team...is a good team. Lots of good players, many of whom wouldn't be out of place on a Stanley Cup team. But adversity is their kryptonite, and you can,t avoid that kind of kryptonite in the playoffs. Many of our current players may go on to win the Cup. They won't do it with their current teammates, though.

I would not be opposed to a rebuild at this point.

I still believe that the moment trading Subban came up as a serious point in a staff meeting that Bergevin and Therrien should have been immediately canned. Even with Weber being one of the best Habs on the ice this series, that trade is going to be a stain on their internal team for years to come.

It's good that Therrien is gone now, but it came woefully late.

I don't know. I'm not convinced this team does better with Subban than with Webber - not in the roles either of them would have to fill.

Still, the problem remains that you traded away a fan favorite for no discernible team improvement.

If Bergevin had any sort of decency, he'd resign. Unfortunately, decency is in short supply in business.

It's good news for the Sens, mind you (well, at least, better news). I don't think they would have matched well against the Canadiens, whereas the odds against New York are more favourable.

It's a moot point however: even with a 2nd round win, Washington or Pittsburgh are waiting in the 3rd round, and there the odds are quite frankly ugly. Perhaps the winner of that series would look past the Sens to the Finals, and they can be caught with their pants down? Assuming a series win against NYR, my preference would be to face the Capitals in the 3rd, but really, that's not a great match-up either.

Indeed, either of these teams are scary.

Though if Toronto could drag Washington to overtime five games out of six in the playoffs (and very nearly manage to come back from a 4-0 deficit in the sixth game)...well, Washington may not be as ironclad as they seem.

Though if Toronto could drag Washington to overtime five games out of six in the playoffs (and very nearly manage to come back from a 4-0 deficit in the sixth game)...well, Washington may not be as ironclad as they seem.

I'm definitely content with the Leafs season. They exceeded expectations in almost every aspect. Barring an Avs collapse, next year should be a treat. :D

The series made me think less of the Caps franchise, though. I always considered them classy/stoic but the rhetoric during the series was... not great. Not as bad as Boston throwing garbage on the ice though, so that's good!

Washington in the third round isn't scary, because by then the Foldohs are two rounds overdue for a complete collapse.

Okay. I did NOT see Ottawa taking a two-nothing lead on New York.

But I'm all for that. Go Sens Go! Destroy the blue rags!

Last edited:
Hah, Matthews probably scored more goals this season than Pageau has in his entire career, playoffs included...

I stopped at a little pub in the village to watch the overtime periods on the way back from the library, and it was glorious. Even after 10 viewings, that Turis block on Nash in the crease after Anderson's coughed up the puck behind the net still seems like it couldn't possibly have happened the way it did.

The truth is that I need this to end, sooner rather than later. I'm being held hostage by this playoff run -- I need my regular life back! That kind of crazy spring hockey was okay when I was a student without a care in the world, but as an adult with responsibility, it's exhausting...

Does Melnyk have any plans to move the Ottawa arena, by the way? It is nigh-criminal that the Sens can't sell out a crowd in the second round but it makes sense when you consider that the arena is on the very fringe of the city.

I ask because my knowledge of the Sens is restricted to the "talking points", i.e. Melnyk is a penny pincher and talks too much. If there's a plan in place to change the situation, I haven't heard it. :(

So, Ducks lose two at home, but stage a gritty game three win in Edmonton. No one is surprised, really.

Tomorrow, Washington FoldOhs take their down 2-0 show on the road to Pittsburgh. Does anyone expect a gritty performance from them? Or are they on their way to yet another "best team blown out again" story?

So, Ducks lose two at home, but stage a gritty game three win in Edmonton. No one is surprised, really.

Tomorrow, Washington FoldOhs take their down 2-0 show on the road to Pittsburgh. Does anyone expect a gritty performance from them? Or are they on their way to yet another "best team blown out again" story?

It's the Pens. I fully expect Washington to lose.

It's the Caps. I would expect them to lose if they were playing the Bad News Bears. The Pens are just the beneficiaries.

Does Melnyk have any plans to move the Ottawa arena, by the way? It is nigh-criminal that the Sens can't sell out a crowd in the second round but it makes sense when you consider that the arena is on the very fringe of the city.

I ask because my knowledge of the Sens is restricted to the "talking points", i.e. Melnyk is a penny pincher and talks too much. If there's a plan in place to change the situation, I haven't heard it. :(
Melnyk IS a penny pincher who talks too much. But the plan is to build a new arena closer to the downtown core. The National Capital Commission has a huge tract of land it wants developed at LeBreton Flats. Two groups were bidding on ... well, on the right to negotiate with the city to see if anything could be done with it, I guess.

The Sens-backed group won (with some grumbling from the Montreal-based group that was shut out), and now they've started to talk about thinking about deciding what to do with this project. The city will be embarking on phase II of the new commuter train network in 2018 (or thereabouts), so there's already a lot of construction planned for the next 5 years or so.

There are a lot of reasons why the Sens haven't been selling out (Ian Mendes wrote a good article on the topic here http://www.tsn.ca/there-s-no-playoff-fever-in-ottawa-only-sens-malaise-1.737420), but one reason that is not discussed as much (because of our inherent sense of inferiority, I suppose) is that there are a lot of Leafs and Habs fans here. In spite of there being a basin of roughly 1.3 million inhabitants in Eastern Ontario/Western Québec, at most 60% of these would be potential Sens fans (that's my personal estimate: about 20% for each for the Leafs and the Habs, the odd Penguins, Caps, Oilers, or Bruins fan here and there). So Ottawa is not just a small NHL market, it's even smaller as a Sens market if that makes any sense. Places like Edmonton and Calgary must have similar problems, but there are Cups in their past and I would think that must make a difference. If the Sens had won in 2003 or 2007, perhaps it would be different?

Don't get me wrong, planting an arena halfway to Peterborough was a spectacularly idiotic idea: I used to go to 1 or 2 regular season games a year, plus 1 or 2 in the playoffs when they made it, but I got sick of spending 3 or 4 hours in the car whenever I would attend. So a downtown arena would be great. Would it be enough to transform this city into the kind of market that can support an NHL team year-in, year-out? I imagine that it could, but I think we would be back to square one after 10 more years.

I guess we'll see soon enough.

Last edited:
Yeah, Outer Kanata for the arena is colossal stupidity.

In other news, the Fold-oh have resorted to "If you can't win, injure the other team's best player" as a strategy. Sadly, it seems to have worked for them. I sincerely hope they burn spectacularly in the next two games, because they deserve to at this point.

Top Bottom