"Nil" text and crash

sercer88

Emperor
When I began a game as Greece, all descriptive text just read "nil"
For example, the very first pop-up box that you get when you start a game that tells you your civ and which techs they have to begin with... it just said something like:
"You are leader -nil- of the -nil-. Your people have recently learned the secrets of -nil- and -nil-" ... etc.

When I saw this anomaly, I immediately snapped a screenshot and made a save-game... but then attempted to exit the game (instead of trying to play a turn to see if it was play-able or if anything would change with a new turn.)
And the game crashed.
And when I re-started the game and re-loaded the game (even the automatic save-game file name was screwed up!) all the text loaded properly and the game was perfectly normal (as far as I could tell.)

If I didn't explain it well, I have a screenshot if that helps.

Notes:
I got this problem after very many attempts to get a "good" start
(quickly looking at the start location, if it doesn't look satisfactory, just using alt+shift+Q and then the "quick start" function from the main C3C menu.)
I was blowing through quite a few starts before that one yielded the error.
Also - I am playing C3C via the "STEAM" program - completely digital copy of the game as I have no physical CD.
(I have "started" many thousands of games by this method, but this is the only time that's happened.)

It sounds like you have a file corrupted or missing. I think these entries are in Civilopedia.txt, or more specifically [civ3-base-install-folder]\Conquests\Text\Civilopedia.txt . Unless you're using the editor/a scenario then it may be somewhere else.

Or just completely uninstall and reinstall.

Top Bottom