No Country for Old Dudes

Left

Real Game Out Here
Get hyped because the Coen brothers have a new western coming out starring Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon and Josh Brolin.

True Grit was made into a movie before, winning John Wayne his only oscar, in 1969. This is not a remake of that movie, it is re-adaptation of the book. Unsurprisingly this looks way, way, grittier. Compare Bridges and the Duke, Cogburn from hammy bumbling alcoholic with a heart of gold to remorseless badass alcoholic.

Also this is shot by Roger Deakins, so its going to visually stunning. He also did No Country for Old Men with the Coens, and Brolin. Same setting, samish plot (antihero, bad guy, and lawman chase each other across Texas).

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GkAH7IUWOE

John Wayne version trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tN-j4GDqjv4

I want the Coen Bros to make a movie version of Blood Meridian!

Looks very cool. I've never seen the original, although I did see the prequel, Rooster Cogburn (My girlfriend likes old Westerns, or "Coosers", as she insist on calling them. She's cool like that. ;)), and it certainly seems like a departure in tone. Definitely something I'll see if I can.

I want the Coen Bros to make a movie version of Blood Meridian!

Dude did you see the Road? I read the book and enjoyed it but didn't see the movie. Also I saw No Country and liked that but didn't read the book.

I feel like Blood Meridian is an unmakeable movie with the current rating system cause it would have to be like a three hour long bloodbath, and probably a huge budget, and even then it wouldn't be as unsettling as McCarthy's writing. anyway. after Gangs of New York and There Will Be Blood I, I think Daniel Day Lewis could kill as the judge. He just looks nothing like the character unfortunatly. But if it were going to be made a movie, yeah, Coens.

I loved Fargo but really disliked No Country for Old Men. Fargo was hilarious but NCFOM was just bleak, soulless & depressing.

I didn't think anything was funny in Fargo, only their crazy accents.

I didn't think anything was funny in Fargo, only their crazy accents.
I don't remember if anything was lol type funny but the whole movie I found amusing nonetheless whereas NCFOM was just bleak & the pretty much invincible villain was utterly unlikeable.

I don't remember if anything was lol type funny but the whole movie I found amusing nonetheless whereas NCFOM was just bleak & the pretty much invincible villain was utterly unlikeable.

I think thats what no country was about, the inevitability of failure and death in life despite the efforts or convictions of good men. It was supposed to be dark.

Fargo on the other hand, youre right, is amusingly absurd. The spiraling out of control that the characters experience is, i think supposed to be darkly humorous.

Top Bottom