No Internet option in Multiplayer

ScullyTheWise

Chieftain
So my friend and I were trying to start a Civ4 multiplayer game but ranin to a few snags

1: Neither of us could connect using direct IP, I tried hosting, then he tried hosting

2: we tried to move over to Internet game play but my multiplayer options didn't have it. I only have LAN, IP Connect, Hotset, and PBEM...

can anyone tell me whats going on?

1. Check your firewall settings. Try turning it off.
2. Civ IV doesn't have the Gamespy browser because the cost to license it is outrageous. If your friend has the mac version you can use GameRanger; otherwise, your only option is direct IP.

You may have to go to your router by accessing it through an address like 192.168.0.1. Through my ActionTec router there was an option to disable the firewall and enable all traffic through and it said specifically works with gaming. Then to get my IP I go to the same page and access "status".

I believe there is a thread in the forums just for dealing with routers. You may also try googling about this.

If you look up your IP number in the Network section of System Preferences that will show you your IP number on your LAN (local area network). That number probably starts with 192.168 and is just the IP number for your LAN traffic. To find the IP number that your router presents to the outside world you either have to log on to it as suggested above, or use a web utility that can tell you what your public IP address is. Try this link:

http://www.dslreports.com/whois

If you are on cable then I think that number rarely changes. If you have DSL that number will change whenever something restarts the connection. If that doesn't work then you might have to configure your router to direct the port that Civ4 uses to your specific machine. But I think that it should just work if you use the correct IP number.

Top Bottom