No Load Game option while playing

tempbsmsms

Chieftain
First off -- glad I found this unofficial patch. I do like it.

While playing, there is no "Load Game" option within the menu, and CTRL-L doesn't work. To load a game I have to exist to Main Menu first.

Am I missing something?

Thank you.

The in-play load game function apparently doesn't play nicely with most mods, this one included, so Thal removed it from the menu to keep it from breaking the game. The in-play load button, so you know, doesn't change/load the global variables altered by the mod, so any game loaded with a mod using the in-game load button didn't run correctly, as best I know.

Welcome to CivFanatics tempbsmsms! :goodjob:

Jorlem is right. There's a bug in Firaxis' cache code that breaks mods if we load from within an active game. When this bug is fixed by Firaxis we can use it again.

Damn, this is really annoying. :crazyeye:
Let's hope it'll be fixed soon!

(Does this apply to this mod only? I haven't had this issue with the NIGHTS-mod and the load-button always worked there... )

Hi Mutant
It's not compulsory for a mod to disable load, it's just that if it doesn't it can produce bugs and side effects. Better to do what Thal has done. It's optional but sensible.
Cheers

It's a problem with the game cache. It doesn't properly re-initialize mods if we load from within an active game, which messes up global variables in lua. This includes Nights and other mods with lua code. The workaround is to exit to the main menu and use the load button there, which doesn't take much extra time.

Alright, thanks for the explanation! I just wondered since I've never stumbled upon it yet.

(I know it doesn't take much longer. I'm just lazy - no offense! :) )

You probably dont want to reloud a lot of times.

If you save the game and exist civ 5 and then restart civ 5 the mod and loud the game it wouldn't be a problem

if reloud while playing a few times it could crash

still not fixed by Firaxis? :(

another question: can u load from the main menu or you always have to go through the mods section?

The in-play load button, so you know, doesn't change/load the global variables altered by the mod, so any game loaded with a mod using the in-game load button didn't run correctly, as best I know.
Some mods are fine with that, IGE for example. From what I understood about this bug (I just became aware of it), it is a matter of whether you need your global variables to be persisted across reload, or whether they can be reset. Global variables persistence is typically something that mods like CivUp or Nights rely on. But not all mods need that.

Don't you think this is something you should mention in the mod's documentation? I mean, knowing that a mod is going to remove a basic user interface button that everyone expects to be there is kind of important...

I wondered about this also. Good to know the explanation, can someone tell me the nature of the issues one will experience if subject to this bug - is this why sometimes people experience massive negative happiness when loading a saved game?

Heh, and all this time I thought it was a feature designed to prevent accidentally clicking on "load" instead of "save" and losing your progress! :)

I tried the mod pack and see that there was no in-game Load Game option, also, the autosave feature doesn't work? Is it a bug? :(

Top Bottom