Nobles' Club CXXXIV: Pacal of the Mayans

@pigswill

Spoiler :

This map doesn't favor early rush as you can only rush one AI instead of 5-6. Also, it doesn't provide enough oversea trade route as you'd only have one AI to trade. So it will be a late date anyway. Maybe an river-centered inland city chain plus GLH based shoreline chain combo with a couple of offshore cities would be the solution? Not sure, just some random thoughts.:crazyeye:

1200 AD

Spoiler :
Continued filling out our mainland and traded Nat to Rammy for Theo, Constr & Machinery once he got to friendly. Finished Edu in 860 AD and Sistine turn later, when someone (I think Ramy) finished Angkor Wat - got 1000 fail-gold from that. In 920 AD researched Guilds and settled 17th city.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Met Washington in 1010 AD, when I finished Econ and switched to FreeMarket. Got GMerchant and sent him on TMission. Put 1T into Engineering and traded with Wash. In 1030 AD finally finished NE, got ~550 fail-gold from it and turn later got another GEngineer (40%), when I got 1300 gold from TMission.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 1050 AD finished GPowder and turn later traded for Optics. In 1090 AD finished Chemistry and HE. Got ~15% GSpy. 2T later settled 18th city and in 1120 AD libb'd Steel. On last turn of 25T GAge got GScientist and finally got 3 different GPeople. After some thoughts decided not to prolong GAge now, it's too early for another one - will do it after Democracy or when I see what next GPerson will be. Switched to Free Religion.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 1140 AD settled 2 more cities while researching MT. 2T later met Asoka and another turn later Freddy & Sally. In 1190 researched PPress, put 1T into Astro and now traded for it with Sally. Traded for Drama with Asoka as well. Next GP is 3T away when I'll most likely start another GAge. Preparing to hit Rammy soon.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :

Attachments

• NC 134 Pacal AD-1200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    300.9 KB · Views: 63
Cultural victory, 1884AD (Emperor):

Spoiler :

Those three gold mines were just unbeatable. I ran them the entire game. I made some unnecessary research decisions in late game (Constitution for no reason, basically) which cost me about 8-10 turns on the victory. If I had been more proactive about spreading Judaism to Mehmed, and he had never warred on me, I would have won about 60 turns earlier.

Nicely done. I certainly do not have diplo down well enough for these type of cultural victories and I think I get too hung up on the score board.

1565 AD

Spoiler :
Finally settled 2 SW islands, while Mehmed beat me to 3rd. In 1250 AD DoW'd Rammy. Researching Constitution binary for few turns to accumulate some gold and started 4th GAge in 1260 AD, when I already captured 2 Rammy's cities. Got GMerchant in 1230 AD (Magellan) and appropriately sent him around the globe, so I used one of GEngineers for GAge.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 1290 traded for SciMethod when lots of wars started everywhere. In 1300 AD finished Democracy, captured Confu Shrine and started on So'Liberty and hurried it with remaining GEngineer (half of it).
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 1310 AD Magellan arrived to ToA city (Mecca), but since SciMethod is in, income wasn't that good (1700 gold) so I sent him few turns further to Berlin where he got 2300 gold. Traded for RParts with Asoka in 1320 AD and settled crappy city (Cival) simply cause I had an extra settler. In 1350 AD finished Physics (got GSci) - next research: Communism.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 1360 AD captured last 3 Rammy's cities on mainland and with capitulation took one between us and Mehmed. 2T later got GSpy from Comm and traded DRight around for total of 800 gold - Mehmed got Philo, but got DRight in 1400 AD when he had 320 gold to trade.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 1410 finished Biology while sending my units toward 1 island city next to Mehmed, and turn later got GMerchant - great, I need 1 more GP that's not Sci, Spy or Merchant for 5th GAge. Researched Corp and traded for SPower with Washington. In 1450 finally finished So'Liberty and in 1490 DoW'd Mehmed with 1st round of units ready to deploy (too few galleons). But he didn't stand a chance against cannons anyways. In 1500 AD researched Assembly Line and captured his southernmost city on my islands with single Cuir amphibious style.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 1505 captured one on his mainland, 1510 got GGeneral from Fascism, 1515 Kremlin, 1520 captured 2nd city on his mainland and he capped. In 1530 researched Railroad, 1550 Combustion and 1560 traded for MScience. Gifted Mehmed 2 of his mainland cities back and send my stack on my east border. Got distracted with all those shiny buildings I kept producing to be able to grow my cities after Biology (happy, health), Levees & Factories adn what not, even 2 Military Academies while awaiting eagerly for next GPerson.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
*out of screenshots*

Still 1565 AD

Spoiler :
And yes, I got Mr. Luis Armstrong! Started 5th GAge!! Traded for Rifling with Rammy, whipped what I could and switched to Theo & Emancipation.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Created 2nd GMedic and spent all my gold to upgrade 24 units to Cavs. That'll be good enough for 1st round. Will deploy soon and go for....haven't decided yet. Freddy is strongest, his vassal Washington not that bad either. Sally and his vassal Asoka will be easier to deal with and Asoka have 2 cites with ~10k culture.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Tech situation is interesting, no one has MT yet but they're going for Combustion. :lol:
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :

Attachments

• NC 134 Pacal AD-1565.CivBeyondSwordSave
    405.4 KB · Views: 73
Monarch normal nohuts 1000ad.

Spoiler :
Third try. Expanded up to 17 cities, 18th next turn. Picked up lib> miltrad, built MoM, building Taj. Plan is to cap Ramses with cuirs and use him to research cheaper techs.

Attachments

• NC 134 Pacal AD-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    208.4 KB · Views: 63
Dubioza you look in an excellent shape! Can you perform a quick UN win? :)

@soundjata
Spoiler :
Thanks! I'm always going for Conquest/Domination, but Freddy is quite advanced here and will be hard to conquer, especially with his vassal Washington who is also good (and big).

That being said, I'll keep Diplo option open. I will attack Sally & his vassal Asoka though, they're both here tech-wise - but small, so those fights seem winnable.

Now I think I built too many mounted units, should've get more maces instead to upgrade them to Infantry - cause Cavs upgrade to Gunships is all the way after Advanced Flight and what not. I'll tech Industrialism next and few fast Tanks should help if I'll start loosing too much.

If Freddy will be too good to conquer him, with Sally & Asoka as vassals I should have enough for Diplo win.

1700 AD

Spoiler :
In 1570 got Electricity and went for Industrialism while first transport was ready to disembark next to Sally's city - I liked and chose this move cause it's the only coastal Sally's city on this side of their landmass. So I DoW'd him in 1580 AD and captured Kufah 1T later. After he tried to recapture it I decided to wait for next shipment to advance, cause my airships revealed decent stack nearby. Got GArtist who bulbed 2k into Radio.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Good thing I decided to wait, he didn't attack me, but I totally crippled his SoD in 1595, when Industrialism was done. Time for some tanks! 2nd shipment disembarked in 1605 when Washington broke free from Freddy. In 1610 got Broadway and turn later captured Basra killing his SoD. In 1620 got useless GProphet and settled him in capitol while researching Plastics. That was on last turn of GAge when I decided to adopt USuffrage - still have few buildings to build and want to speed up unit production.

With switching out of Rep I'm loosing ~350 research/T, but I still have over 1300/T on 60% slider and getting +300 gold with that setup even outside of GAge. That's good enough for what's left to research, while I need gold for USuffrage (it didn't stay 60% all the time, but just for info).
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
In 1625 finished Plastics and traded for Medicine with Mehmed. Turn later captured Baghdad and in 1645 Medina, while researching Radio. Finished it in 1650 when I captured Najran with first tanks that arrived on their landmass. Here he had enough and capitulated.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Asoka OTOH gave up immediately. I didn't even kill 1 of his units, except some navy down south - so I capped him to on the same turn. I was doing binary on Mass Media while spending accumulated gold instantly on units (and some buildings) production. Until I got GMerchant in NE and bulbed 2300 research into it in 1670 - here I upped the slider to finish it in 2T. Traded for Flight with Sally.

And since my units are on this landmass, when they healed I've divided them into 2 stacks near Freddy - now when he's without vassal and ~4T away from tanks while I have 10 of them ready to attack and 10 on transport ready to disembark, I DoW'd him and on that same turn captured Cologne with 2-movers.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Turn later captured Frankfurt and he capitulated. Finished Mass Media. West Point & Ironworks combo in Thebes was best choice to start UN, since few other cities that could build it just as good were busy getting 3 Gorges Dam, Eiffel Tower & Christo R. All the other cities are building last building & last unit, after that wealth or research. Most of the cities are at their max sizes as well.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
So which one will be faster, to move units toward Washington or to wait for UN? I can't just hit enter till the end to find out, so I started moving my units again. In the mean time, my vassals researched me Refrigeration & Artillery. In 1700 AD I hurried all 4 WW's:
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler WW1 :
Spoiler WW2 :
Spoiler WW3 :
Spoiler WW4 :

1720 AD Domination Victory!

Spoiler :
So UN finished in 1705, when I traded for Rocketry and switched to FReligion & Rep to finish Computers before the end. Plus, there's nothing else left to build. Won secretary vote with absolute majority, but 1st round of units arrived to Washington's borders at the same time.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
So I DoW'd him in 1710, finished Computers in 1715 when I captured Chicago and capitulated him.
Spoiler Images :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Some cities:
Spoiler Cities :
Spoiler Capitol 760 beakers :
Spoiler Satellite1 units & WW's :
Spoiler Satellite2 units :
Spoiler Satellite4 HE :
Spoiler NE even without 1 fish :
Spoiler Military Academy1 units :
Spoiler Military Academy2 naval units :
Spoiler National Park :
And Info screens:
Spoiler Info Screens :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
Spoiler Image :
I thought I'll get Conquest, but I'll settle for Domination. :lol:

Thanks for the map, I had a blast!

*Forgot to save, here's 1710 AD autosave.

EDIT: Cr@p, deleted my screens before I re-checked the post. Imageshack not only that occasionally fails in resizing images, but it also forgets some of them. Score:
Spoiler 272879 :

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1710.CivBeyondSwordSave
    453.7 KB · Views: 41
Monarch 1500ad.
Spoiler :

Failed again, not yet but I'm going to. 2000bpt with little scope for increase, another 19th century spaceship :sad:. Looks like I'm going to need a much bigger empire to crank out the beakers coz AIs just ain't fast enough at this level.
Do I want to play this a fourth time? Not sure. I'm sure its possible to get 18th century space victory on monarch.

Monarch 1 AD

Spoiler :

Too few cities, tried Wonderspamming... So far so good

I think the biggest opponent is Egypt but oops... he got "Holkaned" :lol:

I managed to limit his cities into two :satan:

I am going for culture this time

Monarch 1300AD

Spoiler :

First in liberalism...
I let Ramesses built another city... My bad!

I have build the necessary wonders early and they are now doubling in culture. I should start building the cathedrals and army to protect on later assult.

Don't plan on researching Astro btw.

Monarch, Cultural Victory at 1760 AD

Spoiler :

• The game will be easier if you choked Ramesses (only have 4 cities in the end)
  • Earned a great general just from choking Ramesses
  • Did not research Astro
  • Did not meet Frederick
  • Missed Notre Dame

Attachments

• cultural victory.jpg
    cultural victory.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 63
hmm disappointing 1834 Monarch Space Ship finish

I guess not every map is suitable for under 1800 space ship :).

I tried to go with Oracle ->CS slingshot which I managed to get at around 1320 BC.
i didn't wonderwhore much actually.

Went with state property route, i still wonder if going corps wasnt better.

I made there pretty big blunder though, since I got unlucky Great Prophet, but didn't store him and since I got holy city without shrine I didn't have shrine city which could multiply corps (that's actually why I didn't went with corps)

GM I had, GE could get for sid+mining combo. Having around 30 cities... something to think about I guess.

I think what kills the space ship here is
Spoiler :
no strong city 2 spot :)

another consideration regarding corps

Spoiler :
would be actually better to run CM or Sid? there is not that many islands...

Finally got round to finishing this with a 1645AD domination win and over 200,000 points. It's my second-highest score (only behind a 1345AD no-islands epic speed BOTM) which tells you something about how easy it was.

Spoiler :
I carried on as planned, invaded the backwards Ottomans though I think I did that a bit slowly, mostly with Cuirs but they got upgraded to Cavs at the end of the war. Then I invaded America - started with their capital and all their land was mine before any city came out of revolt, then I I invaded the northern part of the other main continent. There were German and Arabian cities here so I declared on both of them. Took peace with Arabia once I captured their 2 northern cities (silly Saladin, he'd just landed a 16 unit stack on my poorly-defended American continent!), and I took 6 German ones before they capitulated. A few turns with the culture slider up and I was over the line.

The most killed units were Longbowmen (76) and Catapults (24) which tells you where the others got to relatively speaking. Arabia just got rifling as the game ended.

Well mine wasn't as easy as everyone else's... Immortal, Normal

Spoiler :
Obv the start is a cakewalk; BC CS, Libbing Steel ~1000AD, but once I clear Ramy with Cav/Canon, Mehmed has vassaled Asoka, and Sally has peace-vassaled to Freddy, and if anyone has a tech lead it's Washington.

It's still an easy enough win, but nothing like the dates others were reporting. Mehmed stole 3 cities on the northern bit of the continent ridiculously early, so maybe that's where I lost some ground.

Emperor/Normal 1922 AD space victory

Spoiler :
Killed Ramses with cuirassiers, then teched to space on 20 cities.

Took a long time but I finally got there:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Early rex, cuir rushed and annexed Egpt and Ottomans.

Emperor normal NHNE
Only second emperor game for me but it seems to be going well so far.

Have played to 1000BC
Spoiler :
Teching Agri>BW>Hunt>TW>Pott>Writ>Math>Poly>Prist>Mas>AH>Col>CS (from Oracle) Now teching towards Aest>Litt
Can't belive that I managed to get Oracle this late AND to Oracle CS on emperor.
Maybe you guys do this all the time.
I did the double switch (Bureau/Slavery) but has not made a single whip yet.

Playwise cottages seems like the way to go and with few trading partners (so far) there will probably be a lot of selfteching. Cap and first city will work cottages and the third city cowx2/goldx2. Planned fourth city will be on the North copper to grab Corn/Fish/Clam, this will obviously be my GP farm. Also need to build exploring WBs to find more AIs.

Map
Spoiler :

Attachments

• NC134 Pac Aje BC-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    106.9 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom