Normal Starting Difficulty

mbaker2311

Chieftain
I know that Pilgrim is the easiest, and Revolutionary the equivalent of Diety, but which of the remainder (Explorer, Pioneer, Conquistidor, Governor or Patriot) is "normal" difficulty?

Try Explorer for a Start.
(It is the difficulty AI usually is configured to play on.)

Really? The second lowest? That doesn't fit the usual Civ progression. It's usually the third or fourth difficulty level. I figured for Colonization, it would be Pioneer, Conquistidor or Governor. :confused:

The difference between difficulty levels in Col is very minor, almost unoticeable in fact. This is in complete contrast to Civ when you can comfortably win at one level then get utterly thrashed when you move up a level. They are two very different games.

The difference between difficulty levels in Col is very minor, almost unoticeable in fact. This is in complete contrast to Civ when you can comfortably win at one level then get utterly thrashed when you move up a level. They are two very different games.

Yep, booted it up after the steam sale, played as if it was the original (cannons behind walls) and got thoroughly thrashed... on PILGRIM :(

Working my may up the difficulty levels now.

I find two changes as I walk up the levels...
1) The other nations get better after getting founding fathers you want
2) The REF gets bigger faster.

It is fun. It differs from other strategy games as it is essentially a play your own game for 250 turns and then see if what you built can withstand the challenge as opposed to being in direct competition with production goosed AI's from turn 20 onward.

I play Conquistador now, but to start I would say the one right below it. Newbies will find it hard, but the game is not worth learning on difficulties where you have 10 settlements to the Ai's 3.

... the game is not worth learning on difficulties where you have 10 settlements to the Ai's 3.

Hehehe

I am a Conquistador atm as well. To date, the most difficult level for me to beat was Pilgrim.

Once I figured out how to win the game with 10 cities verses 3 AI cities, It was not hard to figure out how to win the game with 13 cities against 0 AI cities (hehehe) at all the levels after pilgrim.

Not sure whether I agree with Dalgo's statement that the game does not change with difficulty after that... I mean after the first few difficulty levels... it takes more than one of the King's discounted cannons to assimilate the AI's colonial possessions and they really do feel entitled to a couple founding fathers of their own But I do agree, that I can still take all of the AI cities with under 10 grand worth military resources at conquistador and still have to 'Scroll through' my list of founding fathers. :)

The difference between difficulty levels in Col is very minor, almost unoticeable in fact...

Hey.... somebody forgot to tell the natives... pissing off the Sioux on Govenor = bad idea.... SO... MANY... villages.

Steamrolling the dutch was a hassle too... after taking 7 of their towns, i just didn't have the steam for the last two.

I had to declare before acheiving naval parity because.... well, producing just about everything but SOLs becomes pointless after a while. I need to become more comfortable with setting up secondary shipyard economies for the end game. Anyway... I am feeling Patriotic now.

Top Bottom