[NFP] November Update Video

That didn't prevent them from including Kongo and Mvemba a Nzinga.

I'm less familiar with Kongo but from what I do know they weren't involved in the same capacity at all. Dahomey especially basically became a powerful entity entire based on slave raiding and trading with Europeans. In African History circles they are known as a major slave empire for their extensive involvement though recently some have argued against it.

I'm less familiar with Kongo but from what I do know they weren't involved in the same capacity at all. Dahomey especially basically became a powerful entity entire based on slave raiding and trading with Europeans.
Mvemba a Nzinga's dynasty was propped up by the Portuguese to facilitate the slave trade. He only protested when the Portuguese began taking members of his own household, but he was powerless to prevent it.

Are you opting for a blob Berber civ? or a specific group like Sanhaja?
Numidia would probably be the best option, but I wouldn't be opposed to it being a blob civ if that's the only way it could be implemented.
If the leader was Dihya I think that a single civ called Berbers could work.

Off-topic (your signature) - Do you think they'd include Benin or especially Dahomey given their extensive involvement in slave raiding and the trans-Atlantic slave trade? They have shunned leaders for far less (Muhammad Toure from Civ 5).
I prefer Benin a little more to be honest and I don't picture that would have to go into their design at all. I think it would be nice to have something from coastal West Africa, particularly representing a group of people from modern-day Nigeria.

The only reason I suggested Dahomey would be for their all female UU. :mischief:

Mvemba a Nzinga's dynasty was propped up by the Portuguese to facilitate the slave trade. He only protested when the Portuguese began taking members of his own household, but he was powerless to prevent it.

Good point. Still much less grievous than what Dahomenians have been accused of though. They didn't need to be propped up officially. They were busy perpetuating incessant warfare across the region to obtain more and more slaves to sell. They also signed treaties with European powers to build forts legally and actually enforced those leases - on penalty of death for Europeans who violated.

Numidia would probably be the best option, but I wouldn't be opposed to it being a blob civ if that's the only way it could be implemented.
If the leader was Dihya I think that a single civ called Berbers could work.

I prefer Benin a little more to be honest and I don't picture that would have to go into their design at all. I think it would be nice to have something from coastal West Africa, particularly representing a group of people from modern-day Nigeria.

The only reason I suggested Dahomey would be for their all female UU. :mischief:

Benin could be cool with something around the bronzes or something of that nature. I definitely agree that region needs some representation badly. I wish they'd do Sokoto Caliphate but I know they won't.

Good point. Still much less grievous than what Dahomenians have been accused of though. They didn't need to be propped up officially. They were busy perpetuating incessant warfare across the region to obtain more and more slaves to sell. They also signed treaties with European powers to build forts legally and actually enforced those leases - on penalty of death for Europeans who violated.
TBH there's not a single power in West Africa that wasn't complicit in the slave trade. Powers arose all along the coast based on engaging in the trade with Europeans. It's unavoidably entangled with the region's history. The only way to avoid dealing with it would be to have no West African civs at all.

Benin could be cool with something around the bronzes or something of that nature. I definitely agree that region needs some representation badly. I wish they'd do Sokoto Caliphate but I know they won't.
Yeah to me they would be a cultural powerhouse centered around culture and faith through relics or artifacts. Of course with Kongo and Ethiopia already in the game with some of those characteristics I doubt it will happen anyway.

Though since we're talking about West Africa, and to get back on topic, the region is getting two heroes in game mode: Oya and Anansi.

TBH there's not a single power in West Africa that wasn't complicit in the slave trade. Powers arose all along the coast based on engaging in the trade with Europeans. It's unavoidably entangled with the region's history. The only way to avoid dealing with it would be to have no West African civs at all.
I wouldn't go that far. There were interior powers that did not involve themselves anywhere near that closely with the trade and were victims of powers such as Dahomey. There were others such as the Sokoto Caliphate that sought to cease trade of slaves to Europeans along the coast and tried their best to stop it with domestic as well as international trade means (though at that time Britain was also working against Portuguese traders).

interested in more great people ,if they have been retimed . Good to have babylon back ,new city states
hero's ,don't know most of the new shiny thing for NFP have been overpowered and gimmicky ,but probably will try
the only thing that matters however ,has the spy bug been fixed !?

Not sure how you guys feel, but reading the description of the H&L game mode, one hero can only stick with one civilization a game. If the unit expires, it can only be recalled by the home civilization. I'd prefer that if the unit expires, it should be fair game for anyone to claim the hero, and maybe we should limit one hero per civilization instead of multiple. I feel the game would be more dynamic this way.

Not sure how you guys feel, but reading the description of the H&L game mode, one hero can only stick with one civilization a game. If the unit expires, it can only be recalled by the home civilization. I'd prefer that if the unit expires, it should be fair game for anyone to claim the hero, and maybe we should limit one hero per civilization instead of multiple. I feel the game would be more dynamic this way.
I might agree with maybe limiting one hero per civilization.
But I don't think another civ should recruit the hero if they expire considering you would be the only one housing their relic and epic they left behind. In that instance, to me that would be kind of weird.

This actually looks like a lot of fun. I notice they didn't let the leader of Babylon's name slip though. I wonder if it's Hammurabi, Sargon or Nebuchadnezzar II.

This actually looks like a lot of fun. I notice they didn't let the leader of Babylon's name slip though. I wonder if it's Hammurabi, Sargon or Nebuchadnezzar II.

It's Hammurabi. Leaked on the Eshop, and we've seen it in the video, when they show Hercule's relic.

Which is a solid point in Sinbad's favor - given the above, you just know that if there's an Arabian hero in the game, it's going to be one of the figures associated with the 1001 Nights (and not actually part of it: all the figures most famously associated with the 1001 nights are not actually part of the early versions of the text) - probably one of Ali Baba, Aladdin and Sinbad. Aladdin is way better known, but Aladdin at this point is...well, let's be honest, at this point, Aladdin's origin, tales and evolutiosn are so muddled that it's probably fair to describe it today as mostly western folklore about a character living somewhere in the Exotic Orient, not a hero of Arabian folklore. Sinbad, in comparison, is much more closer to his roots as a hero of Arabian stories about a character living in Arabia. Ali Baba is a distant third to those two.

OK, I was ready to accept Sinbad or Aladdin, and I completely forgot that my favourite '1001 nights' (between quotes because as you said none of them are from the 1001 nights) hero is Ali Baba. Sinbad and Aladdin are true heroes, but Ali Baba always stroke as more a anti-hero. He's not particularly brave, nor smart, but he has a good heart. He's truly lovable, and you can't say anything against him.

But I feel that having a anti-hero in a Heroes & Legends DLC would be kind of antithetic. But I want my anti-hero Ali Baba ! Give me it !

The Babylonian leader is
Soooo did we just get a leader leaked twice? I feel bad for the devs, the amount of misfortune they face with their secrets is just incredible.
The Campus has been MIA in most screenshots. The only one i saw was when they showcased the new tile improvements (which looked very much like a generic campus to me). If that city belonged to Babylon, they won't have a unique Campus nor a unique Library.

Basically we can rule out
> Unique Theatre Square, Amphitheatre or Museum
> Unique Campus, Library, University or Research Lab
> Unique Holy Site or Shrine
> Unique Monument
> Unique Industrial Zone

Possibilities:
UB: Granary, Temple, Workshop, (ancient walls?)
UD: Encampment, Gov Plaza, Diplomatic Square
UI: ?
We have a screenshot of a (confirmed) Babylonian city with a Campus, a Library and a University in progress (in the top right corner):
Spoiler :
upload_2020-11-10_12-15-18.png

Seems like they are researching Refining and I don't know about you, but 70 Science doesn't seem like a lot for 10 cities. And it still kind of looks like they are bullying Gran Colombia on their continent:
Spoiler :
upload_2020-11-10_12-25-50.png

All the game footage seems to come from one playthrough, as indicated by (among others) the position of Anshan on the minimap. The first screenshot shows that Caracas has been conquered somewhere in the 20 turns between the two screenshots. Note that Babylon has AT Crew, which requires Chemistry. This shouldn't be possible (unless the game was running the Tech and Civic Shuffle mode) without researching Sanitation, which we can see Babylon is currently in the process of discovering. They seem to have been, however, perfectly capable of acquiring the Eureka for Chemistry, as they have two alliances, so it would appear that getting that Eureka gave them 100% of the tech progress (and gave them the tech without researching the prerequisite techs!). The same possibly happened earlier with the slinger kill - it was the 3rd Barbarian unit slain by Babylon, so Archery and Bronze Working were immediately unlocked. The raw tech yield seems very low though, so, I consider the UA that you've speculated as more or less confirmed?
Can't wait to rush 3 Archers in the first 20 turns of the game and then sell my house and car so I can afford upgrading them to Crossbowmen (and then also spend 100 turns producing an early Pike&Shot).

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-10_12-21-59.png
    upload_2020-11-10_12-21-59.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 80
  • upload_2020-11-10_12-22-19.png
    upload_2020-11-10_12-22-19.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 44
  • upload_2020-11-10_12-22-33.png
    upload_2020-11-10_12-22-33.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I wonder if we will get any more info on the City-States before release

All the game footage seems to come from one playthrough, as indicated by (among others) the position of Anshan on the minimap. The first screenshot shows that Caracas has been conquered somewhere in the 20 turns between the two screenshots. Note that Babylon has AT Crew, which requires Chemistry. This shouldn't be possible (unless the game was running the Tech and Civic Shuffle mode) without researching Sanitation, which we can see Babylon is currently in the process of discovering. They seem to have been, however, perfectly capable of acquiring the Eureka for Chemistry, as they have two alliances, so it would appear that getting that Eureka gave them 100% of the tech progress (and gave them the tech without researching the prerequisite techs!). The same possibly happened earlier with the slinger kill - it was the 3rd Barbarian unit slain by Babylon, so Archery and Bronze Working were immediately unlocked. The raw tech yield seems very low though, so, I consider the UA that you've speculated as more or less confirmed?
Can't wait to rush 3 Archers in the first 20 turns of the game and then sell my house and car so I can afford upgrading them to Crossbowmen (and then also spend 100 turns producing an early Pike&Shot).
Another confirmation of my theory!
And yet I think there must be some other limitation on powerful Civics other than a 50% penalty to science mining. Maybe the player is obliged to keep a high enough level of faith while doing this? In the video I see a lot of faith per turn

Going by the past updates, when should we expect the first look?

Top Bottom