• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Nvidia driver causes crashes: Beta drivers fixed it

Adler17

Prussian Feldmarschall
My problems with the crashes are still unsolved. Yesterday I made a thread here already. I started now a new one, as I got important news. The crashes are caused by the NVidia driver (258.96). My PC did not copmletely hang up, but made a blue screen error message. Once I restated the problem solution program of Windows told me, it was the NVidia driver causing this trouble, as I suspected.

Any help?

Adler

Check the Nvidia site for beta drivers because there is a new 260.63 beta that helped my laptop to play much better. There may be an equivalent 260 series driver for desktop PC's. It is not perfect yet but it seems to be much more stable and robust.

I experience CTD repeatedly when clicking on leaders in Diplomacy. In other words, crashes instead of making leaders video appear. Microsoft (Vista SP2 64 bit) says it's display driver error. However this wasn't happening at all prior to yesterday's patch.

Using Nvidia GTX 460, most recent drivers.

I have had the same problem with a GT220, crash to blue screen. Could only boot up in safe mode

Am currently downloading latest beta drivers, will report back once everything is re-installed

Bad news. The crashes became rarer but are still there. It seems, there are still problems with driver and/or game. Although having the beta dirver and the newest patch installed.
However, the game is now "playable".

Adler

I have dual nvidia 9800gt's in sli and have been having crashes the past couple days quite a bit. I am downloading this beta driver and will give it a try! thanks!

Well I did download the driver. When I tried installing it, the installer said I did not have compatible hardware, which is odd because according to the nvidia website the driver covers my hardware.. Oh well, I was hoping for something to at least improve the game, looks like I'll be waiting for the patch :)

After a bit of research and trial and error (it's just a video driver after all and who doesn't love foolin' around with those?) I figured out why this driver did not work for my computer. I have dual 9800M GT's.. for my laptop. Apparently this driver is for 9800GT's (minus the M part - mobility?). :(

I also had game freezes every few turns using an Nvidia 9800GT. Updated to beta 260.63, and that works better. However, now I get CTD instead. I can play many more turns since the update though, so I'm glad I did it.

Instead of a screen freeze every five turns, I can play about 30 turns before crashing.

I have Nvidia GTS 250 and WinXP sp3.
Game sometime caused BSOD (nv4disp.dll). Then I update driver to beta 260.63, game crashed every 5 turns. I must return latest official driver (258.96).

Update:

I use the DX 9 version. The PC crashes still, but I am able to get back to Windows. It does so still especially in the case of an automatical moving on the map as well as diplomatic negotiations. In later games, when the map is discovered and more units to be moved, it crashes more and more.
I eagerly wait for a new patch and a new nvidia driver.

Adler

Also crashes with NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT, got message 'display driver doesn't work anymore and is repaired'.

When mine kept crashing on the same turn, I was able to fix it with a combination of this and going back to a save from 10 turns previous. Not sure which one of those really did the trick.

Top Bottom