obscure question...

GarcianIII

Chieftain
Could someone please explain something to me... The other day as the Aztecs I researched Alphabet and then pottery (aiming for irrigation) but instead of having to research masonry; before going on to irrigation, I was actually allowed to go straight for irrigation and I have no idea why or how!!!??? Was/is this a bug or is there an explanation for this. It just doesn't make sense.

Thank you.

Also, on a different sphere of thought, could someone explain to me the significance of the Egyptians gaining the knowledge of irrigation at the medieval stage? Because surely, other civilizations would already have it by then (pottery--- masonry--- irrigation) and have gained the growth bonus before the medieval stage of the Egyptians (In which occurs after 6 technologies have been researched (I think)).

again, thanks.

Hi GarcianIII. The answer to your first question is that you can research a Tech when you have researched All minus 1 tech prerequisites for a new tech. Sounds complex but it is not. You will find a good and deeper explanation in this thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=282947&highlight=tech+tree

Regarding your second question... The Egyptians get this for free and can research other things and still getting the irrigation growth bonus. However, not likely that they will get the "first-to-research" bonus though, which is unfortunate. This means of course that you can focus on e.g., horseback riding and bronze working to get defensive and offensive units early on and still get the growth from grassland for free after 6 techs. Since the Egyptians often get the Colossus wonder from start you can focus on science techs early on, e.g., alphabet, writing, ... to get a great lead on your opponents on tech and then grow as well after the first 6 techs. Up to you to decide if you think this is worthwhile or not, and definetly something that works better in SP than in many MP games where military might is important early on.

Top Bottom