oddness: Haise Salassie gifts me a city

BrokTheFanatic

Warlord
So, Dido has amassed a big army and is nearby, meanwhile I am fending off Attilah (2nd attack wave, he's close and that is just what he does).

Suprisingly Dido offers to 'goto war with me deal' versus Haise Salassie. I am trying not to start any wars but decide I'll have to bend the rule and accept.

I don't send any units, I just kinda watch the action with a scout. Sometime later while I have almost forgotten I am at war, Haise Salassie pops up and offers me a pop 9 city for peace. :crazyeye:

Heh, what to do. This should be considered a bug though I know the AI basis such stuff based on a comparison of his army size to yours. Still, can't they add a distance modifier to it?

I had a save a few turns back so I played it out both ways (taking the city+peace and removing it from the peace agreement). Not suprisingly, it made a massive difference.

I guess by a "massive difference" you mean it worked out for you well? If you have low happiness, gaining a city that way can really cause more problems than benefits after all.

It happened to me yesterday. I had a defensive pact with Assyria on archpilagos. Sweden declare war on assyria. I sent 2 submarine to Stockholm, I had no army because aiming at Cultural Victory. Tried peace he didnt want. I bribed his closest neighbor Brazil to go to war.When my subs arrived he sued for peace by giving me Sigtuna, 14 pop, 2×7 Oil field...

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I guess by a "massive difference" you mean it worked out for you well? If you have low happiness, gaining a city that way can really cause more problems than benefits after all.

In this case, you can always give it back the next turn. Selassie will love you. And it'll make him stronger. You don't want Dido to feast on Selassie's dead body and start blobbing, do you ?

In this case, you can always give it back the next turn. Selassie will love you. And it'll make him stronger. You don't want Dido to feast on Selassie's dead body and start blobbing, do you ?

That is a good idea (I had decent happiness, so taking it on was ok). So I think that is what I'll do next time, take the offer but then just give it back to him (maybe after he and dido make peace). See how that plays out. I just felt kinda dirty when I took it but it is hard to resist in a tough match.

Same here. Since I was going for Cultural Victory I didnt want any new city (we're circa 1970).
I wanted to give back the city to Sweden but they got wiped out of the game by Portugal. I was stuck with it so I decided to keep it since the penalty was not so bad and I also had to settle a new city to secure Uranium which I didnt have on my Island.

I got a similar one from Morocco. After many eras of warring with a forward settling Rome I'm hated by Morroco and Rome. Every now and then Morroco and Rome would DOW me out the blue, the last time being when I had researched Radar. I then built/ rush-bought Autocracy enhanced bombers and blew Morroco's units to kingdom come. He gave me Rabat which was in the middle of his empire so I re-based my bombers there and bulbed my 8 great scientists......

I think easy cities in peace deals is due to the fact the AI seems to be programmed to survive and 10 turns of peace from 1 aggressor may be the window it needs to send out a settler somewhere, anywhere.......

That is a good idea (I had decent happiness, so taking it on was ok). So I think that is what I'll do next time, take the offer but then just give it back to him (maybe after he and dido make peace). See how that plays out. I just felt kinda dirty when I took it but it is hard to resist in a tough match.
Or if you want to see the world burn, you can also gift the city to an aggressive Civ whose native lands are further away - the shared borders will often draw them into the conflict. If everything works out the way it's supposed to, all the strong Civs will be in conflict and meanwhile you should be able to focus on winning the game.

The odd thing is that I can get cities from phony wars, where I've never done anything, but if I've actually launched an invasion and taken some cities myself, the AI doesn't want to offer anything for peace. I've had troops surrounding a beleaguered Civ's last city and been told 'This is not the time for peace!'

The odd thing is that I can get cities from phony wars, where I've never done anything, but if I've actually launched an invasion and taken some cities myself, the AI doesn't want to offer anything for peace. I've had troops surrounding a beleaguered Civ's last city and been told 'This is not the time for peace!'
Maybe they've lost hope and just want you to put them out of their misery? They're supposed to imitate human behaviour after all.

Top Bottom