Official Poll:Sequential or Simultaneous Turns

Individually I didn't consider this a question. We had basically agreed to use simultaneous <edit: and new random seed on reload> to eliminate any possibility of someone saving and trying combat scenarios.

Last game we decided that the way to stop that was to just turn off "Preserve Random Seed"

I dont think we need simultaneous turns just to stop the kind of combat abuses that were alleged in the last game. (Especially since they were never conclusively proven) Turning off preserve random seed should do fine.

In fact, simultaneous turns raises a huge amount of opportunity for even more allegations, finger pointing, long pauses, hurt feelings etc. Any speed that is gained with simultaneous turns will be completely cancelled out the first time somebody raises a combat related complaint b/c the game will be paused for a week and a half sorting it out... Not to mention all the diplo related pauses... i mean if we were going to have a no pause rule, maybe then simultaneous would make more sense...:rolleyes:

I have many many more arguments against simultaneous turns but Ill stop here since this is probably not the right thread:p

Individually I didn't consider this a question. We had basically agreed to use simultaneous to eliminate any possibility of someone saving and trying combat scenarios.

That is wrong, the first in sequence can save and test. New random seed is the only technical possibility to forfeit this.

We vote simul for quicker game.

That would make 3 team votes (and a sponsoring moderator) in favor of simul.
True indeed but IIRC simultaneous is not a default setting. I just started one of our 2 Team Pitbosses today and I had to click simultaneous turns to activate it. To me, that means simultaneous is NOT a default setting.

I thought the reason we allowed 3 votes to constitute a majority was because the three votes were in favor of the default setting. Look Here:
Right so 3 votes are in for one civ, we stick to the default

I agree. Three votes for 1 civ per team means we stick with the original format.

As with the other thread, is there any need to now consider this? 3 teams have voted restrictive so the fall back is to stick with the default.

I think we can use default settings as the tiebreaker, so yeah, restricted wins with 3 votes.

This stuff about a "sponsoring Moderator" is a little brand new IMO. And a little too convenient for one team IMO... since only one team has moderators on it.:p

A small issue, right now since the votes are not finished yet, but one that could potentially become more contentious down the road.;)

I guess the timer should be set at 24 hours? We need to wrap this up around the time we are playing Civ 5, which is why.

There's no reason why this has to be finished by the time Civ5 comes out; it's not as if all our copies of Civ4 will suddenly self-destruct. ;) Besides, even with a 24 hour timer you'd be struggling to finish this game within 6 months (most 24 hour pitboss timer games I've played in have typically lasted 8-12 months). I think a 48 hour turn timer is perfectly reasonable, perhaps with a longer turn at the start to make sure people can log in successfully (72 or 96 hours). I don't expect the first turn would take this long to complete, but it'd be good to have the spare time just in case.

It will be long enough to allow diplomacy and that no teams will need to ask for a pause. I'm assuming 48 hours, maybe 72 if it's not long enough for the teams to be ready. That would still be 3x-2x faster than sequential turns at 24 hours.

I think 40 hours would be good, as the hours always go higher, so it becomes 48 hours in reality.

A 40 hour pitboss clock / 48 hour real clock is fine with me for the early game. Once we start getting into the nitty-gritty part of the game with many things to do and probably many wars, it might make sense to increase the turn timer to 72 or 96 real hours. But until then, 48 hours on the real clock will do me fine. :)

40 hours is fine, maybe take it down to 24 hours for a dozen turns after turn 3? There is nothing to stop us from increasing or decreasing timer to speed up game.

I think people will play as fast as they can the first 20 turns or so, the slow teams would be laughed at and possibly harmed diplomatically if they persist obstructing the game.

the slow teams would be laughed at and possibly harmed diplomatically if they persist obstructing the game.
That might be viewed as trolling.

That might be viewed as trolling.

Well, that diplomatic damage may take place on google chat, in mails, PMs or over phones or behind the computer screen. If someone feels people are delaying the game unnecessarily, it will certainly not help them diplomatically.

Top Bottom