Official System Requirements

The Radeon 6000 series is shaping up to be awesome, the 6780 will beat all of the Radeon 5000 family yes even the 5970 and also better than the GTX 480 when the drivers are finished (as is it loses only to the 5970 by a hair)

I hate to be a cynic here, but being burned from Civ IV. I say the recomended specs are the minimum specs and just totally ignore the minimum specs. They will absolutley not work.

Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me. I am waiting for the demo to see if I can actually run the game. So anyone who thinks there system might not run Civ V download and play the demo.

I had the same problem. With Civ IV my pc was a little better than recommended specs and still the game was unplayable. Had to leave it on my shelf over a year before i could afford to build a new system.

i do not plan to buy Civ V until i am sure they have shaken most of the bugs out of it and i know my system will run it.

I play CIV 4 fine now. Hoping this homemade box can make it.

Intel Dual Core E2160 @1.8, 7300GT 256DDR2, 2GB Ram.

I look at myself as the poster child for minimum but I think I can make it.

Is that right, I can play right away but it might not be the greatest?

Would it be more cost effective to a) get new vid card or b) start over, new box. (money a bit tight but I love Civ)

Thanks for any input.

I play CIV 4 fine now. Hoping this homemade box can make it.

Intel Dual Core E2160 @1.8, 7300GT 256DDR2, 2GB Ram.

I look at myself as the poster child for minimum but I think I can make it.

Is that right, I can play right away but it might not be the greatest?

Would it be more cost effective to a) get new vid card or b) start over, new box. (money a bit tight but I love Civ)

Thanks for any input.

The 7300GT is probably to weak for CiV 5, way below minimum. Rest should at least be working for not to big maps. If you have a PCIe slot, you may first buy a new card. if it turns of that the CPU is to weak, you could either replace that, too, or use the new video cards in a new box. But I suggest trying the demo first.

Anyone knows if this computer meets the requirements:

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ38M - Core 2 Duo T8100 / 4GB / 200GB / 15.4" TFT / GeForce 8400M GT

If not, what should I do to make it handle CIV 5?

Thanks

Anyone knows if this computer meets the requirements:

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ38M - Core 2 Duo T8100 / 4GB / 200GB / 15.4" TFT / GeForce 8400M GT

Should work, but on minimal settings.

Thank you. What is most urgent to update to make it work smoother? Graphics card?

Wait, how you're going to upgrade notebook graphic card? :crazyeye:
And yes, it's the weakest part, processor second.

Would this run Civ 5

Will be using bootcamp if the specs will run the game

Macbook pro 17"
2.16ghz intel core duo
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon X1600

Would this run Civ 5

Will be using bootcamp if the specs will run the game

Macbook pro 17"
2.16ghz intel core duo
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon X1600
sell it for ~$900 and get a new MacBook Pro

So do you guys think something like an AMD Phenom X3 8250e Triple Core Processor is good, or would the AMD Phenom X4 9600 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU be better? I realize the quad is better in general, but would the the triple be good enough for Civ5. I have a dual core now, and it runs real slow when I play huge maps with a lot of civs.

So do you guys think something like an AMD Phenom X3 8250e Triple Core Processor is good, or would the AMD Phenom X4 9600 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU be better? I realize the quad is better in general, but would the the triple be good enough for Civ5. I have a dual core now, and it runs real slow when I play huge maps with a lot of civs.
If you are talking about Civ4: it uses only one core, so X2,X3,X4 or x6 won't change a thing ;)
For Civ5: we don't know yet.
Regarding the first generation Phenoms X3/X4s: I would discourage you from buying those, depending an your previous CPU it might not be much of an improvement and/or bad value for money. If you can get your hands on a AM2+ Phenom II for a reasonable price, it might be worth it, though.

If you are talking about Civ4: it uses only one core, so X2,X3,X4 or x6 won't change a thing ;)
Regarding the first generation Phenoms X3/X4s: I would discourage you from buying those, depending an your previous CPU it might not be much of an improvement and/or bad value for money. If you can get your hands on a AM2+ Phenom II for a reasonable price, it might be worth it, though.

I'll still be using my old comp when Civ 5 comes out, so I guess I'll see how good/bad it runs on my dual core AMD and then go from there.

They all are, it aint Intel

I got my new computer in June in anticipation of CIV V, only reason I got it. If this doesnt skip a beat then I give up.

HP ENVY 17 customizable Notebook PC
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Quad Core Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to3.06GHz
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5850 Graphics w/GDDR5 memory, Direct X11 supported!!
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory
• 160GB Intel Solid State Primary Drive & 500GB 7200RPM SATA Storage Hard Drive
• 17.3" diagonal Full HD HP Ultra BrightView Infinity LED Display (1920x1080)
• Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

By the way, I am palying CIV IV BTS on HUGE worlds in the highest settings for the first time, smooth as glass, like playing with a kitten. Thank you HP for finally building a laptop around a first-rate graphics card.

I got my new computer in June in anticipation of CIV V, only reason I got it. If this doesnt skip a beat then I give up.

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Quad Core Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to3.06GHz
• 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5850 Graphics w/GDDR5 memory, Direct X11 supported!!
• 8GB DDR3 System Memory

By the way, I am palying CIV IV BTS on HUGE worlds in the highest settings for the first time, smooth as glass, like playing with a kitten. Thank you HP for finally building a laptop around a first-rate graphics card.
how much was that?

• 8GB DDR3 System Memory

Welcome to the forums! :goodjob:

Wow, that's pretty nice for a laptop. You'll be playing Civ5 on a higher quality than many people with couple-year old desktops - so long as you can keep it cool. Don't know what kind of cooling your laptop has, but it'll have to be pretty slick to keep those components cool in a game of Civ5, which unlike many other games out there, will be keeping all the logical cores of your CPU pretty busy.

Impressive, your graphics is only a notch under my desktop card, the HD 5770 according to this hierarchy.

EDIT:
Do you feel that a cooling pad would help offset the potential heat build up?

It might, I've never tried them, so can't say from experience, but the concept sounds good to me. It's pretty much what I do when I stand my laptop on something and point a fan underneath it, but in a more portable package :lol:

Top Bottom