Official System Requirements

That's not "a really good graphics card" ;)
It's essentially the same you already have.

If it HAS to be £40, that one is at least a noticably step above what you already have, but it's still not really cost effective.
The sensible solution would be that one, it will on average be almost twice as fast as the £40 card and supports DX11, which might make a big difference in Civ5.

but is this one u showed me nvidia, cause if i already have nvidia, will i have to install this
one new.

When changing the video card it it highly recommended to reinstall the video driver in any case, even if the new one is from the same chip manufacturer. And yes, I recommended ATI cards. Just uninstall the old driver before inserting the new card, than install the latest driver for the new card :)

That's not "a really good graphics card" ;)
It's essentially the same you already have.

If it HAS to be £40, that one is at least a noticably step above what you already have, but it's still not really cost effective.
The sensible solution would be that one, it will on average be almost twice as fast as the £40 card and supports DX11, which might make a big difference in Civ5.

for the computer i have, acer aspire x3400, as its low profile, and the psu is 220w, will this graphics card ( the second option) take any more power or do i have enough power to power it fully?

Acer has the very same type of card as an option for your system, and it is not even the most powerful option (that would be the 5570 with GDDR5 memory). So it's pretty save to assume it will work ;)

I've just had a play with the demo and I'm having problems getting the game to play full screen on my second monitor.

I have a Radeon HD4890 card using Cat 10.10 drivers.
My Primary monitor is a 1280x1024 and my secondary monitor is 1080p (1920x1080)

The Civ 5 demo is only recognising valid resolutions of my Primary monitor (up to 1280x1024 all in 4:3)

I also can't get the game to default to my 2nd monitor and after dragging the window over to it, I still cannot get the game to recognise any 16:9 resolutions. even expanding the game to full screen results in a 1280x1024 image stretched to 1920x1080.

Are all these problems only apparent in the demo or will I have the same issue with the full game? If so, is there a way around it?

Due to various technical and personal reasons, I am unable/unwilling to swap my primary monitor to the bigger display.

So you can confirm, the full version also has this issue?

Ah well, at least I've saved myself £29.99. :sad:

Can this game run in 16:9 or is this issue irrelevant. According to AMD here there is an explaination for setting up the scaling. If the game is 4:3 and it cannot see the display setting as 4:3 will it refuse to display full screen?

If the game is 4:3 and it cannot see the display setting as 4:3 will it refuse to display full screen?

It should start then in windowed mode, at least one of the patches should have addressed that.

No idea if 16:9 is supported, but i thought i saw already such resolutions in the bug reports section (i mean people playing with that).

16:9 is the standard display format for more than a year, and 16:10 is in use for far longer. There was a case where a 2560x1440 screen had an issue, but in general non-4:3 resolutions will work just fine.

We were waiting about 4 years for the civ5 (from civ4). Throught these years, our systems developed. So, now there are people that have very powerful systems, but the game can't use/see them (example: memory 8 or 12gb or i7 950 intel e.t.c.). It means that even people with powerful systems have also problems (the problems that all of us know) to run the game, or to run it fast. How can it be fixed?? An X64 edition, with a patch, how??

Very few Civ5 buyers people actually have more than 4GB.
Lots of bad things will happen with your Civ5 game way before you even run into the 2/3 GB thresholds.
Therefore a 64bit .exe will have extremely low priority at best.

And it's not like using more memory will somehow magically make things run faster. You could just do more (complex) stuff, like bigger maps with more Civs.

Performance and Bug level is probably so bad because reportedly Civ5 runs on a new build-from-scratch inhouse game engine. Might take years of continuous development to straighten that out. No magic bullets.

Thanks Tokala. Of course u know these things better than me. I say only that if we wait next civ (6) in about 4 years, then most of people 'll have propably up to 8 gm memory e.t.c., and the game'll not "see" this progres. (For example i bought a new system this week with 12 gb ram, X64, e.t.c.)

Does this mean that my Athelon 64 X2 5000+ (2.6 GB duels) with 2GB RAM under a NVIDIA 8500 GT (512mb) won't work properly? With specs like this do you think it would run choppy and laggy?

Anyone else tried to run the game on those kind of specs?

I just fixed the parts of a new p/c, so:
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9 (s1366/DDR3)
CRU Intel Core I7-950 (1366/3,06 GHZ, 8MB) B
VGA PCI-X RADEON (SAPPHIRE) HD 6870, 1G,GDDR5
RAM DDR3 CORSAIR 12 GB DOMINATOR 1600
PSU COOLERMASTER 700W SILENT PRO M700
CASE COOLMASTER HAF X
WIN 7 X64 PRO
Well, will i finish a game huge map at least or i 'll spend 2- 3 days to pass to the late game and after....freeze??

Top Bottom