Old West Mod CivFan Thread

Balthasar

Wise Man

A place for conversation about the Old West Mod.

Let's first review what we have to work with. There is my own Old West Map.

Units This is an incomplete list of Old West units that are available:
Aaglo's 6-pound smoothbore field gun, 3-inch Ordnance rifled field gun, Clipper

Civ Army's
Horse Commando, Taino Piroga

Dark Sheer's
Canoe, Horse, Bandit

Dom Pedro's
Modern Pioneer,

Doragon's
Canadian Mountie

Hikaro Takayama's Gatling Gun, Late 19th/Early 20th century US Infantry

Imperator1961's
Wild Wild West Units Packs,

Kinboat's Industrial Swordsman (Matador)

NavyDawg's Sheriff

Nemesis Rex's Civil War Cavalry, Civil War Rifleman

Plotinus's Scoundrel, Victorians, American Worker, Prospector, Cherokee Settler , Cherokee Worker, Iroquois Worker,

Ruby Sauce's Cowboy

Sandris' Coureur des Bois, 10 Native American Riflemen, Native American and Mesoamerican Units, pack II,

Tom2050's Stagecoaches: 2 Horse, 4 horse; and Early Balloon and Aasimar (Saloon Girl); Animals: American Bison, White Bison, Black Bear, Deer (Buck) Brown and other deer, Moose, Eagle, Scorpions , Snake, Grazing Cow; Rattlesnake, Seal

Top Gun's US Cavalry 1863

Utahjazz7's American Indian Rifleman (Old Version), Villista, Native American Rifleman, Western Native American Rifleman,

Vuldacon's Farmer and Farmer Champion, Delivery wagon, Marshal, Cowboy, Coyote, Bull(s), Steers, Calves, Pack Mule, Gunpoweder Barrel, Flatboat, Androctonus.

Wotan49's
Multi Cavalryman with Flag, Multi Apache Flintlock, Multi American Bison

Wyrmshadow's USS Carondelet, Mississippi Queen,

Animated Terrain/Cities/Interface

Terrain Graphics

Leaderheads
Haida Civilization by Civ Army

Shawnee Civilization by Civ Army

Mexican Civilization by Civ Army

Last edited:
A place for conversation about an Old West Mod, both mine and others. No time to construct a good post just now. Watch this space.

For some good images, go to the following site, or search for Frederic Remington paintings online.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...r=yfp-t-701-s&va=frederic+remington+paintings

For a feel of what things were like, check out the following site, which is an account by Remington of a scout with the Buffalo soldiers.

http://www.pchswi.org/outside/remington/buffalosoldiers.html

His sketch of a "mountain man" is absolutely magnificent. Use this as a basis for a scout unit. Just give him a ton of hit points and make him as hard to kill as you can.

Attachments

• Wood_Remiton-MtnMan.jpg
    Wood_Remiton-MtnMan.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 188
To discuss my own Old West Mod-in-progress, which will be called Goldrush! go to my SOS Thread >here<

Uh oh! SOS! :mischief: Is it Storm over Steampunk? :lol: Did it hit the backburner!? At least multi-tasking is something to be expected nowadays! Nothing like an old western!

This means you need a Clint Eastwood unit! (Not enough FLC's to fit all the famous one-liners in!)

Ah, Cut 'n Paste. These units are sorta poo-pooed now, but they are our heritage.

Before there was Kinboat, there was Dark Sheer.

Well I did do Eastwood as a Trade Advisor. I have the Duke as my military advisor.

View attachment 282176

View attachment 282177

Hmm, if the Duke is your military advisor, should not he be wearing a uniform? There should be a ton of pictures with him in WW2 uniforms, along with the US Cavalry uniform from the cavalry trilogy of Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, and Rio Grande, and the US Civil War from the movie The Horse Soldiers. He even played Genghis Khan once. That was one of his more forgettable roles.

Hmm, if the Duke is your military advisor, should not he be wearing a uniform?. . . He even played Genghis Khan once. That was one of his more forgettable roles.

And that awful movie probably killed him. To this day, people will try to tell you it was cigarettes. I've always had the suspicion that at least part of the anti-smoking campaigns that have swept the world in the last few decades are the result of industrialists trying to blame dramatic increases in cancer deaths worldwide in the latter part of the 20th century on that unpopular habit rather than on their own saturation of the environment with carcinogens, including radioactive isotopes. Studies have actually found that smoking can reduce the risk of Alzheimer's Disease . Given the trajectory of the cost of care for Alzheimer's patients, one would think that, on that basis, anti-smoking campaigns would ease up, but even in New York, where the incidence of Alzheimer's has risen a whopping 25% since 2000, (i.e., since about the time that tobacco was banned indoors in NYC), anti-smoking activists have managed to actually extended the ban to include, no kidding, smoking outdoors. Madness. But I digress...

Truth is, I was unable to find any series of images of either Wayne or Eastwood in which either was 1) showing all of the emotions required of an advisor, and 2) dressed exactly the same for each. If someone else can do better, more power to them, and I promise to be impressed.

Hmmm, have to get my list of US nuclear tests conducted prior to and including 1955. Based on the long term effects of radioactive contamination of the islanders on Rongelap Atoll in the Pacific, about the only cancer that consistently shows up in them is leukemia, from the effects of having strontium-90 being deposited in bone tissue in place of calcium. Now those islanders were exposed to extremely high levels of radioactivity after the serious underestimate of the yield of the Bravo shot, expected yield was 6 megatons, actual yield was 15 megatons. Against that, you can believe anything that you wish to believe.

As for your comments with respect to getting having the same uniform in all of the necessary shots, I guess the only way to do that would be go through some of the movies a frame at a time and look for the needed poses.

I know this thread's been mostly about units so far but Goldfool's Frontier towns should fit right in here. :cowboy:

Those are very good (if only I could have more cultures!), and don't forget Goldfool's North American Native Desert Cities which I use for my Mexican and Pueblo/Navaho Civs.
and his Sun Dried Resource which I like, but haven't been able to use yet.

And appropriate mention must be made also of Pounder's Western Frontier Towns, which look very good in my mod.

Because the files apparently have idiosyncratic names, I haven't yet located the makers of my Plains indians (teepees) and Northwest Tribes (totems) cities right at this moment.

RedAlert did a set of single-era Native American cities, which you can find here.

That's them! Thank you Rob. No wonder I couldn't find them, I was only looking in the Database.

Speaking of Units/graphics, I've been looking over Tom's 201 Prop Units Pack, and found a few that I think might fit an Old West Mod:

Unit Props Sampler.jpg

Until recently, I was convinced that animated "eye candy" just ate up game resources and bloated the files, but a lot of folks have come forward lately to disagree, pointing out that these sorts of short, simple animations don't use a bunch of file space. These files really aren't that big; proven, I guess, when Tom fit 201 of them into two zips small enough for the Database. My standard will be: does it do anything?

My wish list in this regard, which I've probably posted elsewhere is:

Water Shimmer
Old Faithful
a few smoky things: city smoke, campfire smoke, oven, chimney..some benign version of the disorder animation might be a start...

Regarding units, the HistoriCanada mod has a bunch of Native American units I don't see above including an Indian paddling a canoe.

I think the link in the OP to Plotinus' Prospector unit goes to one of his worker units instead.

Top Bottom