Old World Stories

Quintillus

Restoring Civ3 Content
Supporter
I love the stories that emerge from this game. Thanks to the characters and events, so many more stories emerge than from predecessors such as Soren's also-excellent Civ4.

This thread is for sharing those stories. Spoiler tags encouraged.

Spoiler The 10-Year-Old Queen :

It may not have been the King's best decision to tell his 10-year-old daughter that she would rule Carthage when he died, but the King was not known for making the most sane choices. So that is what he did. With no mention of a regent, just, when this illness claims me, you, as my only child and heir, will rule Carthage. Beware of the Romans across the sea.

He needn't have mentioned the Romans; the true game of thrones would be played at home.

At the King's funeral, the child queen's uncle approached her, and said that Carthage was in a perilous time after her father's early death, and he should rule in her place as a regent. Zanbak the New, ever self-confident, told him that no, her father had told her she would rule Carthage, she didn't need a regent.

And so the uneasy peace between the King and his brother passed away with the King. It had always been tenuous, perhaps only held together out of necessity for the good of the whole, certainly not due to cheery relations, but with the King out of the way, his brother expected to exercise rule, and was not about to let a 10-year-old run things.

So it was that a few months later there, while Queen Zanbak was holding court, there was an unmistakable clamor of muffled screams and clashing steel echoes in the hall. Prince Armilik, Zanbak's uncle, swept through the doors abreast a veritable tide of troops, swords drawn. "Your time is up, Zanbak! My army stands poised to take by force the throne which you so little deserve!"

Driven by her father's last words to her and perhaps some naivety about the threat, Zanbak ordered her guards to arrest Armilik, and a great chaos erupted in the throne room. But in the end, Armilik was arrested and imprisoned.

Many others questioned the wisdom of her father's young daughter being on the throne, with many believing that if she were like him, Carthage would be worse for the wear. But try telling a 10-year-old that her father is a crazy man for building lighthouses taller than the tallest tree in the city. She's more likely to tell you, "well, he did build it, didn't he?" than to be aware of the astronomical cost to the treasury.

So it was that the first threat to Zanbak's rule ended. It was not likely to be the last.

I'm currently playing a game as Babylon. I was off to a roaring start; Nebuchadnezzar was very gifted intellectually and his daughter, Kassaia, even more so (a whopping 10 science points!). The laws of Babylon dictated that her brother (the relatively lame Marduk-nahin-ahhe) should reach the throne before her but, of course, I decided that the young genious should be the heir. Marduk didn't like this. Not one bit.

I press end turn and when the next turn rolls around I find that Marduk hasn't just done some pruning of the family tree, he's taken an axe to it. He was so angry he killed his still-reigning father, his genius sister AND her husband. He left his niece and nephew alive so I still have some heirs, but this act of sabotage has seriously derailed my game. Not only have I lost three family members, I also lost 6 legitimacy because of his rampage and he gained the crazy trait. I was looking forward to zooming through the tech-tree as Kassaia but now I'll have to stumble through it with this lunatic.

At first I was so shocked I wanted to quit the game but now I think I'll continue. The Butcher of Babylon needs to redeem himself. :D

Spoiler :
lon.jpg

I'd like to make a note of appreciation for the World Wide Web links for stories and characters based on historical events. My knowledge of the time period is incomplete, and it's really cool learning more history via the events. The Judgement of Solomon and the offer of a persecutor of Christians named Saul of Tarsus to join my court are two recent examples of events that occurred in my Old World game. I wouldn't have guessed that Old World would be the way I started to catch up on all the biblical stories I missed while growing up, but that's a niche it is starting to fill.

I'm currently playing a game as Babylon. I was off to a roaring start; Nebuchadnezzar was very gifted intellectually and his daughter, Kassaia, even more so (a whopping 10 science points!). The laws of Babylon dictated that her brother (the relatively lame Marduk-nahin-ahhe) should reach the throne before her but, of course, I decided that the young genious should be the heir. Marduk didn't like this. Not one bit.

I press end turn and when the next turn rolls around I find that Marduk hasn't just done some pruning of the family tree, he's taken an axe to it. He was so angry he killed his still-reigning father, his genius sister AND her husband. He left his niece and nephew alive so I still have some heirs, but this act of sabotage has seriously derailed my game. Not only have I lost three family members, I also lost 6 legitimacy because of his rampage and he gained the crazy trait. I was looking forward to zooming through the tech-tree as Kassaia but now I'll have to stumble through it with this lunatic.

At first I was so shocked I wanted to quit the game but now I think I'll continue. The Butcher of Babylon needs to redeem himself. :D

Should have killed him. That would have made your daughter heir and you would not have to worry about this problem. I think if you are going to cut someone from being the heir, you should always cull them.

Honestly, stuff like this is why I love this game.

Should have killed him. That would have made your daughter heir and you would not have to worry about this problem. I think if you are going to cut someone from being the heir, you should always cull them.
I think you can only kill him when you have a spymaster available. This was still quite early in the game so that wasn't an option sadly!

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

It finally happened - the First Punic War. Rome declared war on Carthage, roughly a century after first contact and after years of uneasy peace. This was after decades of Rome being at war with Egypt, a war which they pursued halfheartedly due to distance, and in the end left for the Hittites to continue on their own. But Rome was widely considered the foremost military power in the world, and Carthage the wealthiest but along with Egypt likely the weakest.

King Manlius of Rome declared the war, saying that it was no longer possible for Zoroastrians and Jews to coexist peacefully, one faith must be proven triumphant on the field of battle, and Rome would see to it that Judaism proved to be the world's dominant faith.

Geography dictated some of the contours of the battle. Rome had troops in Carthage's hinterlands and began attacks on a provincial city that was sure to fall soon. But the main border was fortified mountain area, and even with Carthage's "we'll hire mercenaries when we need them" attitude, would not be an easy nut to crack. Between Carthage and Rome lay a bay and the sea, and it was on the seas that Rome launched its main attack. A victory there, and Rome could start landing troops across the bay and threaten Carthage's valuable core cities.

But Rome's navy was not as vaunted as its army, and it didn't finish off Carthage's navy in a day. Most of Carthage's navy in the area was by a strait where the bay was almost closed off, a chokepoint where whoever controlled it - and Carthage controlled it currently - could control who entered and exited the bay. One ship was ordered to pillage some Roman fishing boats on the other side of the bay, and this is where things got interesting.

As the fishing boats were being sunk, from the shore, a highly ornamented head priestess of Assyrian Paganism - long since usurped by Rome and tolerated alongside the official faith - shouted out to Carthage's sailors. King Manlius didn't really want thousands of Romans and Carthaginians to die on the battlefield. He wanted God to be able to show who was favored. Thus he challenged Queen Elissar of Carthage to single combat. Whoever God favored, would win.

Queen Elissar of Carthage was known as a judge, not a warrior. But as she heard the story, and was convinced it may in fact be true, she also remembered that King Manlius was no young man anymore. He may have been a strapping soldier in his day, but he was 85 now, to her 49. Either this was a trap, he was in far better shape than most his age, or he had lost his grip on reality.

So she accepted the duel, and the two monarchs met with small groups of guards across a stream in the no-man's land on the north side of the bay.

For a second, Elissar's faith wavered as she nearly lost her balance crossing the stream. But Manlius was no quick draw anymore. His first strike parried, Elissar was easily able to out-maneuver him, and soon the old Roman king was dead.

His adopted daughter and heir, apparently also believing that God would show Rome victory in the single combat, quickly petitioned for mercy and peace, which Elissar readily granted.

And thus the First Punic War ended, mere weeks after it started, rather than the decades some had feared.

------------

In other news, I am curious to hear whether the Butcher of Babylon redeemed himself.

I'll share a story of the virtue of patience, instant karma, and, possibly, how being drunk can make it easier to hold an important position and reach very respectable years of your life :)
Here it goes:

Spoiler :

This kingdom of Babylon has been ruled by a Queen for some time already, at the time of this particular event. Now, being a queen and ruler is usually considered a rather comfy position by many, except sometimes you're abruptly interrupted in the smooth and pleasant ruling by pesky officials who suddenly feel the need to demand your attention because they have some unsatisfied ambition, you see, just like this impertinent governor:

Spoiler :

Now, if you look at the age and state of health of the incumbent Ambassador, this request might seem rather reasonable. But, on the other hand, it also leaves such a bad taste in your mouth. The governor is so impatient that she can't wait another few days, figuratively speaking, until the post becomes vacant in a natural way. Were not in Victoria 3 here, after all, where characters used to routinely live for well over 100 years, have some restraint, Governor! Besides, she is asking the Queen to remove her beloved Granny from the post! If there's a definition for being uncouth, look no further, this is one. The Queen does what every other annoyed ruler would do, she shouts to the governor begone.

Spoiler :

At this point I feel I need to give you some back story, some exposition, as is acceptable in the movie industry.
Babylon has had a few kings and queens at this point, and the King who married Queen Zakiti who was serving now as Ambassador, the post coveted by the impatient governor, had quite a usual rule, until some event popped up, I already forget whether it was a botched assassination attempt or a sports competition gone wrong, anyway, in the course of that event the King got a blade pierce some part of his regal body, and despite the wound looking not serious at first, it finally got him and being 50, he left the world of the living, and the throne was left to his son, a 14-year old boy.

Fortunately, the archives of Babylon preserved a documented evidence of the meeting of the now Queen Dowager Zakiti and her son, the new young King. The meeting unfolded like this:

Spoiler :

I can imagine the teenager King rolling his eyes and muttering under his breath: "Mother, must you really be this formal? I'm still your son and the same sort of person, as I was yesterday, the day before yesterday and all these days since my birth, for godssakes!"

Note that the Queen Dowager Zakiti is 54 here, already serving as Ambassador, and already being drunk. I forget when she was appointed ambassador, and she may have taken to the bottle because of the stress caused by the untimely departure of her husband the late king, but I'd like to think that this came with the job. Oiling diplomatic wheels does require the intake of unholy amounts of the friendship-building liquids. So no wonder she forgets what sort of person her own son is.:) Also diplomatic mission after mission, maybe she's really away all the time and sees her son once every ten years only...

Well, anyway, if it looked like that the young king had a long and happy rule ahead of him, it wasn't so. One day, his scouts, on continuing mission to go where no Babylonian man has gone before, have stumbled upon some ruined temple, and our young king ordered it to be restored. And that was not a very good idea, for some reason, as something older than this old world was disturbed and the young king was hit by a curse point blank, no escape. (As a player, here I made a mental note for myself, next time someone discovers ruins of a temple, I will tear apart what's left brick by brick and use the materials for some roads.)

And from that day bad events started queueing up at the door of the King's bedroom like Englishmen at a bus stop. Some iron for the soldiers' weapons turned into jelly, something crumbled, some this, some that, until all these minor annoyances took the shape of the Grim Reaper who gatecrashed the Kings 30-ieth birthday party and that was it. Very vexing, if you ask me. And the throne was left to an 8 year old daughter to sit upon. Come on!

Spoiler :

Interlude finished, we're back to the current present times :)
The 8 year old girl has grown into a mature woman and efficient and charismatic Queen, however the impatient Governor Melulatum (the Merchant, apparently) did not take kindly to the charismatic refusal and her liking to the Queen took a nosedive. The Queen was of course expecting that and already planned the arrest of the governor as the very next point of her agenda, however, the responsible official was in the middle of some mission, so the matter had to wait a bit. But there was someone who wasn't into waiting much. Next year or so, the Governor organized some building opening ceremony and made a move on the Queen right there, and this time the move involved a dagger. The Queen immediately called for the guards, and surprise surprise, the guards acted flawlessly this time! The impatient governor suddenly had an eternity before her now dead eyes, and the Queen emerged from the event unscathed. The matter was resolved. The only snag was that Queen Dowager Zakiti, Ambassador of Babylon, died the same year at the ripe old age of 94, while on a trade mission to Rome:

Spoiler :

Had Governor Melulatum the Merchant have just a bit of patience, she would have calmly waited out those couple of years, remained alive and possibly became Ambassador. Or at least planned the assassination attempt better. But no, no time for this. Plenty of time to be dead, though, and she could start much earlier.

And as a side note, I don't know if I've seen a character reaching such a respectable age in this game, and being drunk for the best part of their lifetime, on top of that. What a life that must have been! :)

All Hail King Soren!

My current game has been fun, in a chaotic sort of way. Playing as Assyria, and King Ashurbanipal the Great has nerves of steel and built up his legitimacy by his willingness to defend the honor of Assyria against all who would challenge them, and make them quake in the wake of Assyrian might. Rome paid tribute. The Gauls were swept away. Greece was made an enemy. And when a Danish village was discovered and the Danish envoy said, "We are strong. What are you?", Ashurbanipal's reply was, "We are mighty! Prepare for war!"

As was tradition, the Danish village was quickly defeated, made an Assyrian outpost, and art was added to the Assyrian palace depicting all the awful things that the Assyrians had done to the Danes, as a warning to all future comers that maybe they should be more like the Scythians and offer tribute first without being asked.

However, Ashurbanipal did not live forever, and with no male heirs, the succession went to his granddaughter Ataliya, who despite her wisdom did not command the universal respect (or was it fear?) that Ashurbanipal had. The noble houses of Assyria started their own petty rebellions, and the Greeks finally arrived at the border, being rebuffed at first but returning with more troops. Much worse, Egypt, coveting the city site that Assyria had cleared from the Gauls, declared war.

Ataliya secured a costly peace with Greece, and turned the troops towards Egypt, who was approaching the outpost at the former Danish village. But someone else had the same idea. King Soren of the Danes wanted to avenge the losses of his father, and sent troops against that same location, while at war with both Egypt and Assyria.

King Soren would emerge as the one with the city.

1686443669074.png

A tactician indeed to wind up with the upper hand, and immediately upon capturing Nimrud, the Danes sent us a peace offer. And why wouldn't they? Our two options are, "Make peace happen" and "This feels wrong." It both does feel wrong and doesn't... I didn't know Tribes could capture cities, but it's quite appropriate that King Soren would be the one to make it happen.

My first thought was to tell their envoy, "balderdash!" and take back our city, but our ranks are a bit thin right now and Egypt is the greater threat. So maybe Soren will get to rule Nimrud for a while and help us deal with Egypt.

Epilogue (Several Decades Later)

Ataliya decided that peace with Soren was the most desirable outcome, and Assyria concluded peace with Denmark, allowing them to keep Nimrud in perpetuity.

Unfortunately, despite King Soren's cunning, the overwhelming power of the Egyptians would eventually result in them gaining control of Nimrud.

After a brief peace treaty, Assyria and Egypt would remain at war for most of the 50 years following Soren's conquest of Nimrud. Despite Egypt breaking the peace treaty, Assyria would gain the upper hand after it was broken, and with a bit of help from Rome, eventually relegate Egypt to a second-rate power.

All the while, Soren ruled the remaining Danish bastion in the area, some distance to the northeast of Nimrud. As far as we're aware, the Danes never made peace with the Egyptians, sending raiders occasionally but never facing serious reprisals as Egypt was too focused on fighting Assyria (and, for a time, Rome), as well as barbarians to their south.

Soren would live to the ripe old age of 88, being a thorn in Egypt's side the whole time, and even when he was the most elder of statesmen, we witnessed his Danish raiders giving the Egyptians a hard time. In an age when the power of tribal peoples was waning, he ensured that one more tribal legend would emerge.

Attachments

• 1686443590405.png
    1686443590405.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Ok, I'm in the middle of my 4th game, finally knowing what I'm doing, more or less. It is a bloody rollercoaster of emotions! This game is the best thing since... well, if not since sliced bread, then since Civ 4 for sure! :D

Playing as Egypt, it appears for the second time, I have no recollection of the first game as Egypt, it was long ago on an older laptop, but cloud saves tell me I did play as them. This time I've chosen a large desert map for theming purposes, and was given a sea on the West, a large desert on the North, Babylon on the SW, Carthage on the East, and Rome on the NE further away.

For the first time I've tinkered with the game settings and selected Male Primogeniture. What do you think? Up to 5th generation my direct heirs were all daughters! :lol: Four generations of Egyptian female Pharaohs wearing metal golden beards, oh my! (Hatty's daughter never ascended, she was survived by her own daughter to ascend the throne.) All the males were on the stepson's branch who never got to rule. The 5th generation Queen had some problem though. Rather a couple of problems. Three problems, if you will. I'll go back a bit :)

The long standing problem was the international relations. Babylon SW stole one nice tribal spot for a city, and then sent an army through my territory North to steal 2 more spots over a large desert, but I was kinda willing to be friends with them, despite them threatening me constantly with war and Egypt ending up paying three simultaneous tributes to Babylon. I did not mind it though, Egypt was rich. Egypt was so rich that Egyptians seemed to sweat gold. If there was some problem, it surely could be burried under a large enough pile of gold. And it was so always. Just throw money, there was always more where it came from. No matter that Egypt did not know Coinage for a very long time, nobody asked too many questions after being hit by a large lump of gold into their forehead. I hope I got my point through, Egypt paid its way in under the sun. Always. Especially with Babylon.

Carthage to the East was less known to Egypt and stole two much more relevant city spots, so I was kinda leaning into not paying them, not with gold at least, more like with iron, despite them being much stronger and all. I was making slow but assured preparations. Pre-sculpting some anti-Carthaginian slogans and pictures in strategically located stone slabs. But then an event fires up, where I'm given a choice to make a National Alliance wih them outright, just like that, probably for some gold. Egypt has never ever refused to pay some gold, and not on this occasion either. Especially, when Carthage acted like a shield from all of the Eastern side of the map. What's that, what slogan slabs? You must be mistaken, I have never mentioned any slabs.

So the solution of this first problem proved to be quite nice. Some Hatusimanistania from outside of the map on the distant East behind the event horizon declared war on Egypt, and Carthage did hold our back. Not that over a couple of decades or so of the war there were any hostilities between the H-land and Carthage, leave alone Egypt already. It is not easy to traverse a few million lightyears on foot through an immense desert of time and space in the Early Eras, after all, not when you still haven't learned the wormhole travel technology. Then, after a while, Egypt threw some tribute in the general direction of the East, and in due course received a 100th generation of a carrier pigeon bringing the message from Hatumistan that they were good. None of this was strictly necessary of course, but Egypt came up with some scribes-holding institutions by the time, and the scribes insisted on keeping records in good order and all businesses to be finished, preferrably, if the Queen would be so kind, thank you Your Majesty, just sign here and here and here, thank you so much again, Ma'am.

Second problem was war. Another war, that came from much closer than from beyond the map boundaries. On the year of the crowning of the 5th generation of Egyptian female Pharaoh, Babylon finaly got so used to being knocked out by Egyptian lumps of gold to the head that they apparently developped some sort of immunity to the very useful phenomenon and demonstrated it by declaring war on Egypt just like that, with no associated event. I call that blatant cheating and an obvious bug on the part of AI :lol:

The new Queen Pharaoh celebrated the start of war by a marriage to a handsome man and watching in delight how our Carthaginian allies moved in to hold not our back but our forefront this time. Seriously, I was quite pleased how ally AI helped me in the war, it really really went and did save my front a** in the very spots where it was most needed, well done!

So Babylon attacked from the Southern and Northern holdings, luckily, Egypt had very successfuly split its armies just enough to defend in every direction, and Carthaginians plugged all the holes and provided all the necessary distractions. Amazing work from their King Hanniblum or what was his name?

So the second problem, although terrifying at first, turned out to be quite an opportunity, with Babylonian two northern and one SE posessions eventually falling to Egypt, and the rest of their heartlands ripening to follow the suit with every passing turn, I mean year.

The third problem, however, was the most serious, and now I have deep compassion with every royal family alive out there IRL, and in a similar situation. It was, of course, the problem of successsion. However handsome the Pharaoh consort was, married at the earliest opportunity, note it, nothing came out of the union. Then there was some attempt to influence some courtier by the Queen but Officialy the King Pharaoh, the event involved some clothes and not asking permission of the Consort who get mightily pissed to the point of becoming Vengeful, yes, capital V, it took a great deal of time and effort to get even with him, still nothing, he turned Chaste after making up, can you believe it, until in despair, he was appointed General of some unit in the midst of action, and at least here he did not dissapoint and died in a battlefield fairly quickly. Phew, although more than 10 years wasted. Succession lay in the stepson's branch from back 5 generations. Second marriage. Some worse looking sly individual, but whatever. Just do right what is needed. And bloody hell, some sheninagans again, some crazy events, where husband sort of can become terrified, but then situation saved just in the nick of time, and then the royal couple approaching their thirty-somethings and supernatural player starting to lose all hope and resigning to an alternate line already, but then they finally produce an heir, a daughter! 6th generation female heir in a male primogeniture, one hundred years in! I genuinely laughed out loud at this point :lol:
But then, a couple of years later, there was another royal birth. A son, a male heir, not a firstborn, but the first male born in the direct line, in a hundred years or so. By law, now this baby is the direct heir. I had to save the game and make a break to cope with the event. :rotfl:
What lies ahead of Egypt, what will the second century of the known history be? Will it be all about cold sandwitches for breakfast and unwashed socks giving +6 culture per city? It remains to be seen.

No pictures this time, sorry. I only intended to write like four lines, but the page never ended, so I just kept writing :blush:

Reactions: uhu
Top Bottom