On a Third Unique

Would you like to see a set of third uniques?

• Yes plz

Votes: 102 64.2%
  • No, give me leaders or give me death

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • No, I'd rather they spend their resources elsewhere

Votes: 50 31.4%

• Total voters
Perhaps, since thinking of good specific uniques for some civs is so hard, it would be interesting to have "regional uniques"... Like, Mesopotamiam all get one, Middle-East another, etc etc.

I like it the way it is. Part of a UU being fun is that it has an advantage against other units of its base type. Having too many UUs would be like having no UUs at all.

Why didnt all civs get 1 building and 1 each, is something I dont get. However adding yet another Unique for each seems like a bit too much.

I'd rather they fix the bad ones. The only Civ I can imagine getting a mayor fix in this regard would be the English, give them redcoats or a UB, and let anyone build ships of the line.

Following what Leugui proposed, It would be more interesting if certain Social Policies or Ideologies could unlock unique units, buildings or even UI.

For the Huns, perhaps a UU that is variation on the Worker (+% to worker improvements)? Or perhaps a UU that is a variation on the Great General (like the khan) with a replacement for the Citadel. (Someone feel free to fill in with historical names for these possible variations :) )

Edit: I would prefer a UB for the Huns though.

Why didnt all civs get 1 building and 1 each, is something I dont get. However adding yet another Unique for each seems like a bit too much.

I'd rather they fix the bad ones. The only Civ I can imagine getting a mayor fix in this regard would be the English, give them redcoats or a UB, and let anyone build ships of the line.

Following what Leugui proposed, It would be more interesting if certain Social Policies or Ideologies could unlock unique units, buildings or even UI.

I think England needs to be redone completely.
First of all, it should be renamed Great Britain because England did not take on the whole world and create the biggest empire in history single handedly - Welsh, Scottish and partly Irish were also a part of it and it would also represent a lot more and make a large amount of people happy.
The UA is extremely weak, even with the addition of an extra spy compared to say Japan's UA which has all troops fight the same strength as a full health unit when they are heavily damaged.
And I agree that the Ship of the Line should be replaced by Redcoats as the Redcoats were the Spartans of the Imperial/Renaissance era.

Seeing that the majority would like a 3rd UU/UB, I am going to open a new thread full of suggestions.

Movement bonus on naval is huge for how the combat works. Enemy naval can't get away and damaged SOTL will never die, because they can always outrun enemy ships.

I think it is one of those bonuses that don't seem powerful at a glance, but in actual play it is excellent. I'd use Persia's as a comparable example. +1 movement only during a golden age seems weak at a glance, but once you actually use it you realize it is one of the most powerful UA's in the game.

Why do people insist on giving The Huns a third UU instead of a UB :| Me not happy, me want 2 UUs 1 UB!

Someone suggested a UI which I thought sounded pretty cool, if possibly OP.

Huns need a Unique Building.. somehow.. you gave them a third Unique Unit.

Oh, the inconveniance :lol: .

How about a yurt UI that replaces the trading post? +1 food, +1 production and can be moved (presumably to tiles that already produce more gold naturally, to settle around captured cities quick or to run away from enemies.). Just my two cents

Come again?!

I take it you have never played a naval game as England, then...

Being able to move a few extra spaces dosn't exactly change much. And also, you mentioned "Naval Games"? Well alot of games may not involve navys.....

America - B17, Minuteman and Mall
Arabia - Camel Archer, Bazaar and Ikwhan Militia
Austria - Hussar, Coffee House and Grenzers
Aztecs - Jaguar, Floating Gardens and Tlaloc Canoe
Babylon - Bowman, Walls of Babylon and Ziggurat
Byzantium - Cataphract, Dromon and Monastery
Carthage - African Forest Elephant, Quiquereme and Phoenician Dock/Port
Celts - Pictish Warrior, Ceilidh Hall and Iceni Chariots
China - Chu-Ko-Nu, Paper Maker and Fire Lance
Denmark - Berserker, Norwegian Ski Infantry and Stave Church
Egypt - War Chariot, Burial Tomb and Nubian Mercenaries
England - Longbowman, Ship of the Line and Redcoat
Ethiopia - Mehal Sefari, Stele and Desert Nomads
France - Foreign Legion, Musketeer and Chateau
Germany - Landsknecht, Panzer and Volksgrenadier
Greece - Companion Cavalry, Hoplite and Gymnasium
Huns - Horse Archer, Battering Ram and Yurt
Incas - Slinger, Terrace Farm and Huaminca
India - War Elephant, Mughal Fort and Sepoy
Iroquois - Mohawk Warrior, Longhouse and Kanya Horseman
Japan - Samurai, Zero and Dojo
Korea - Turtle Ship, Hwach'a and Hwarang
Mayas - Atlatist, Pyramid and Holcan Spearmen
Mongolia - Keshik, Khan and Ger
Netherlands - Sea Beggar, Polder and Ruyter
Turks/Ottomans - Janissary, Sipahi and Great Bombard
Persia - Immortal, Satrap's Court and Mahout
Polynesia - Maori Warrior, Moai and Double-Hulled Canoe
Rome - Ballista, Legion and Spa/Public Baths
Russia - Cossack, Krepost and Shock Infantry
Siam - Naresuan's Elephant, Wat and Royal Thai Infantry
Songhai - Mandekalu Cavalry, Mud Pyramid Mosque and Malian Militia
Spain - Tercio, Conquistador and Bull Arena
Sweden - Hakkapeliitta, Carolean and Sauna

BNW Speculation:
Poland - Winged Hussar, Ducal Stable and Partisan
Assyria - Siege Tower, Royal Library and Footman
Brazil - Prachinas, Brazilwood Camp and Cangaceiros
?Portugal? - Feitora, Nau and Cassador

I have posted this list on a seperate thread if you want to add on to it.

If they would be bringing in a 3rd unique I would welcome that. But I think there is currently not such an urgent need. And like others have mentioned, it would take a lot of time for rebalancing which could be spend to other more urgent points.
Furthermore if they will introduce it I hope that each civ has: 2UU+1UB/UI or 1UU+1UB+1UI or maybe even 1UU+2UB. But not that certain civs will get 3 of a kind, particularly 3UU, which would make that civ Pure Warmongering.

If they would be bringing in a 3rd unique I would welcome that. But I think there is currently not such an urgent need. And like others have mentioned, it would take a lot of time for rebalancing which could be spend to other more urgent points.
Furthermore if they will introduce it I hope that each civ has: 2UU+1UB/UI or 1UU+1UB+1UI or maybe even 1UU+2UB. But not that certain civs will get 3 of a kind, particularly 3UU, which would make that civ Pure Warmongering.

Well some civs fit the whole expansive and warmongering behaviour e.g. Germany and Great Britain and it also comes down to what the UU is, not all UUs are for warfare.

Being able to move a few extra spaces dosn't exactly change much. And also, you mentioned "Naval Games"? Well alot of games may not involve navys.....

No, but you might as well criticise Siam's UA because it's not much good in a game with City-States turned off. Most of the maps in the game involve large bodies of water, and if you find yourself as England on one such map, refusing to build a navy is failing to make use of a pretty obvious edge you have in one area of the game.

'A few extra spaces' is a huge advantage, not just for combat, but for early exploration, for sending Settlers and Missionaries out faster, for just about anything that involves water. Build the Great Lighthouse and you can literally sail rings around everyone else.

Well some civs fit the whole expansive and warmongering behaviour e.g. Germany and Great Britain and it also comes down to what the UU is, not all UUs are for warfare.
I don't mind some (4-6civs) with 3UU's, but if you look at the list now 16 of 34 civs have 2UU's already. That would mean many of them probably will end up with 3UU's. And imagine some of them would get 3UU's at the same era, that would be at least a bit overpowered imho. For example think of the huns which would get another UU in the early game...

I don't mind some (4-6civs) with 3UU's, but if you look at the list now 16 of 34 civs have 2UU's already. That would mean many of them probably will end up with 3UU's. And imagine some of them would get 3UU's at the same era, that would be at least a bit overpowered imho. For example think of the huns which would get another UU in the early game...

On the seperate thread called "3rd UUs/UBs Suggestions" the list is greatly improved and you are free to suggest better ones. Only a few have 3 UUs.

Top Bottom