On unit upgrades

Commander Bello

Say No 2 Net Validations
In another thread, Raystuttgart said:
1) We are currently discussing to have a rebuild of the Military System where Blades will have a justification / much more purpose.
2) We are currently heavily discussing (internally) to implement a Tech-like system (and most team members approve it) where Blades / Blade Units will also make much sense.

That lets me assume that part of that new military system and tech-tree will be unit upgrades.
There are certain things to be taken in consideration though.

1) The game covers roughly 300 years (1500 - 1800, give or take)
2) Certainly the armies during that timespan did change. The last battle with participation of knight in Germany was fought around 1520 (> around the beginning of the game), but during the 30 Years War none were around anymore. And Napoleon startet his conquest of Europe without any halberdiers, even without the three musketeers.
3) The Aztecs were finally defeated in the early 1520s. The Incas were defeated around the same time and the last Incan sovereign was killed in 1570 or so.
4) The European conquest of North America certainly began at around the same time, but if I am not completely wrong, mostly was done in the 19th century which would be after the game ends (large areas of land may have been claimed by the Europeans before, but the real wars did happen later as I think).

That leaves me wondering if the introduction of new and presumably better combat units in the game (I would expect that to happen two times: with the mass introduction of firearms to the armies and with the replacement of the matchlock by the flintlock) at land really would depict how history went.
it seems to me that the first wave of European conquest was done with (mainly) pre-firearm weapons and the last with weapons and at a time beyound the game's timespan.

However, for the maritime warfare that may be different. A ship of the line certainly is a significant improvement over a caravel or even war galleon. On the other hand, maritime warfare is completely without the participation of the natives.

So, the question would be how to do the balancing so that early units aren't too weak in comparison to the native brave but later units will not be unhistorically strong.

Certainly unit upgrades might add a bit of "flavor" to the game, but that shouldn't be done at the expense of balancing.

Just wanted to point this out to make the team aware of it. As you were! :)

I am working on a tech tree for units on land, and I am trying to take the issue you raised into account.

Top Bottom