Once you get to Future Tech everybody catches up...:

mexgamer

Chieftain
First of all, hi everybody! I'm new to this forum (but not new to Civilization) and well, I hope I can contribute to this community as much as possible.

I just want to share something that has always bothered me: I hate it that once you get to Future Tech all the other Civilizations will eventually catch up; it bothers me because I manage to get a huge technological lead over all the other civilizations but at the end it doesn't matter as they will eventually catch up once I get to Future Tech. As you know, technological advances win wars, and being the most technological advanced civilization certainly gives you the edge over everybody else; BUT, once you get to Future Tech that advantage will disappear sooner or later.

For example, I'm playing with the German Empire: when I had Tanks (Panzer) my opponents had Cavalry, when I got my first Giant Death Robot my opponents had just got Tanks and so if I was at war it was all pretty easy. I won the game and as always I chose to keep on playing because I like to wipe out all the other civilizations after finishing a game. But I don't like loosing my technological advantage over the other civilizations, like I said, they eventually catch up.
I think this may be the only aspect of Civilization that I don't like, in a real life scenario research would never stop and chances are I would never lose that advantage. I know research cannot go forever in a game but I think it would be nice if they added one more era with futuristic units and at the end award a special unit to the most advanced civilization; a unit with more strength than any other, awarded to the first civilization to research all there is to research! Now, that would be AWESOME!
So for example, let's say the Germans are the first ones to research everything, then they would be awarded a special unit with a strength of 250.

For this reason I have a question for you: how can I modify the strength of my units? Can I make the Giant Death Robot only available for my Civilization in an already started game? I tried the game editor mod but I think there's no option for that.

I completely agree. Instead of "Future Tech" there should just be another section of the tech tree.

or bring back the extra bonuses you get everytime you go through a Future Tech like in Civ4.

I don't remember how it worked in CIV, but maybe every time you research Future Tech all your units get a promotion that increase strength by 5%?

Frankly, If you have not finished the game by the time "Future tech" comes around your doing something wrong with your gameplay, and you need to tighten your style down so you finish much, much earlier. Even the Space Race victory finishes before the end of the tech tree and thats several tech before FT.;)

Frankly, If you have not finished the game by the time "Future tech" comes around your doing something wrong with your gameplay, and you need to tighten your style down so you finish much, much earlier. Even the Space Race victory finishes before the end of the tech tree and thats several tech before FT.;)

I agree , Sounds like with the information given you were not going for domination victory . Sometimes I play with my food before I eat it out of boredom and delay winning the game until after future tech or so . Otherwise I never have this issue. I just want to win and get to the next game .
We can 't ask for everything out of one game for many reason . Cost being one . Although I am not fond of the fixes listed here maybe a small tweak could solve even this issue . I cannot think of anything right now but sure someone will on this thread . But how about this thread starter . Win you have the tech lead if your thought is to elimate the rest of the field just do it lol . Start nuking or whatever you want to blast the other players of the face of your war torn planet you tyrant :mad:

I agree , Sounds like with the information given you were not going for domination victory . Sometimes I play with my food before I eat it out of boredom and delay winning the game until after future tech or so . Otherwise I never have this issue. I just want to win and get to the next game .
We can 't ask for everything out of one game for many reason . Cost being one . Although I am not fond of the fixes listed here maybe a small tweak could solve even this issue . I cannot think of anything right now but sure someone will on this thread . But how about this thread starter . Win you have the tech lead if your thought is to elimate the rest of the field just do it lol . Start nuking or whatever you want to blast the other players of the face of your war torn planet you tyrant :mad:

......huh?

First of all, hi everybody! I'm new to this forum (but not new to Civilization) and well, I hope I can contribute to this community as much as possible.

I just want to share something that has always bothered me: I hate it that once you get to Future Tech all the other Civilizations will eventually catch up; it bothers me because I manage to get a huge technological lead over all the other civilizations but at the end it doesn't matter as they will eventually catch up once I get to Future Tech. As you know, technological advances win wars, and being the most technological advanced civilization certainly gives you the edge over everybody else; BUT, once you get to Future Tech that advantage will disappear sooner or later.

For example, I'm playing with the German Empire: when I had Tanks (Panzer) my opponents had Cavalry, when I got my first Giant Death Robot my opponents had just got Tanks and so if I was at war it was all pretty easy. I won the game and as always I chose to keep on playing because I like to wipe out all the other civilizations after finishing a game. But I don't like loosing my technological advantage over the other civilizations, like I said, they eventually catch up.
I think this may be the only aspect of Civilization that I don't like, in a real life scenario research would never stop and chances are I would never lose that advantage. I know research cannot go forever in a game but I think it would be nice if they added one more era with futuristic units and at the end award a special unit to the most advanced civilization; a unit with more strength than any other, awarded to the first civilization to research all there is to research! Now, that would be AWESOME!
So for example, let's say the Germans are the first ones to research everything, then they would be awarded a special unit with a strength of 250.

For this reason I have a question for you: how can I modify the strength of my units? Can I make the Giant Death Robot only available for my Civilization in an already started game? I tried the game editor mod but I think there's no option for that.

Look for the "Future Tech" or "Call to Power" mods. They increase the techs a ton. This is also something that bothers me about Civ, especially because the GDR is obviously fictional, they could easily include all the future techs from Call To Power 2, the game with the all-time best combat and tech model in Civ history.

The tech plateau exists to give you a reason to finish off the competition before they are at an equal tech level to you.

\

For example, I'm playing with the German Empire: when I had Tanks (Panzer) my opponents had Cavalry, when I got my first Giant Death Robot my opponents had just got Tanks and so if I was at war it was all pretty easy. I won the game and as always I chose to keep on playing because I like to wipe out all the other civilizations after finishing a game.

Uh...if I had to guess, the biggest problem is probably that you delay going to war until the post Renaissance era.

I've never had an issue finishing everyone off before the Modern era, especially if I'm technologically superior to everyone else.

Not everyone wants to kill everyone off just because they have reached the highest tech.

I completely agree. Instead of "Future Tech" there should just be another section of the tech tree.

I think yer both kinda weird- start a new game already! :lol:

Seriously (actually, I was being serious, but I won't tell if you won't), you can hardly expect the devs to be able to make the game go on forever after victory is achieved. I think they did perfectly fine by stopping making new tech trees at the point they did, for the game. By the time I get to future tech, I'm completely burned out on that particular game and ready to start a new one anyway. The early part of a game is the best part for me. The thought of playing on after a very late-game victory is finally acheived, brings me to tears. Come to think of it, I don't think I've failed to win a game before even getting to future tech, in the past 1.5 years.

My best suggestion for dealing with this problem (assuming you don't want to just try to end the game sooner) is to use your tech lead while you have it. Build all the most advanced units you can, and go crush your enemies.

Build all the espionage-prevention buildings in your cities, and build the Great Firewall (GFW) in your best science city if possible. Keep enough spies at home to protect any city with high potential not protected by GFW. Focus on your most advanced opponents first. You don't necessarily want to use nukes against technologically inferior opponents; Giant Death Robots can be a more efficient use of uranium in such cases.

The best way to be certain who your most advanced opponents are is to use the InfoAddict mod to see how many techs each civilization has. If you don't like to use InfoAddict, you'll have to rely on the (rather spotty) demographic screen and on looking at what kind of units your opponent is fielding.

I think yer both kinda weird- start a new game already! :lol:

Seriously (actually, I was being serious, but I won't tell if you won't), you can hardly expect the devs to be able to make the game go on forever after victory is achieved. I think they did perfectly fine by stopping making new tech trees at the point they did, for the game. By the time I get to future tech, I'm completely burned out on that particular game and ready to start a new one anyway. The early part of a game is the best part for me. The thought of playing on after a very late-game victory is finally acheived, brings me to tears. Come to think of it, I don't think I've failed to win a game before even getting to future tech, in the past 1.5 years.

You must`ve heard about the guy who played the same Civ 2 Campaign for 10 years. It was even in the news. We have all types of gamers.

That said, I agree the Devs can`t be expected to make future stuff going on indefintely.

"I won the game and as always I chose to keep on playing because I like to wipe out all the other civilizations after finishing a game."

Why?

I never do that but i think that's for fun

Might be true, that sounds like great fun for a turn or two.

Perhaps just to retaliate at the old foes, but really in the long run, it's not "fun".

Better starting up a new game.

I agree that future tech is useless, but I also agree that if you haven't begun to win before then, something is wrong.

Victory conditions aside, lets consider the following ideas...

Expanded tech tree after nanotechnology. i.e. Diamond Era and/or beyond.
Expanded Science victory. Settle Alpha Centari or other planet. I can dream can't I? :D
Bonus for each Future Tech researched.

Realistically though, the game has no choice but to catch up after future tech.

Top Bottom