Once you get to Future Tech everybody catches up...:

In Civ IV, each Future Tech granted you someone think like extra happiness or health points or whatever. That way, they didn't have to invent an infinite number of technologies, it was just assumed that whatever you could discover would make people happier and healthier and they could use that model to get to Future Tech 1,000,000 or whatever with no extra game design time needed.

Having Future Tech literally do nothing is a game flaw.

Keep in mind that Civ is a fairly open ended game. You do play to achieve set victory conditions with a "year" limit in place, but you can just click to continue past your own victory or your opponent's victory or the year limit and continue indefinitely. Someone brought up the guy's 10 year game of Civ 2 where he fought a war to a standstill for a decade of real time. Sometimes I'll hit continue in a game I've won or lost just because I want to beat a rival in an on-going war. Other times people have an awesome Civ they just want to keep managing.

I don't think it'd take a whole lot of work to just make some basic features to take things forward. It doesn't have to be a radical thing where they get developers together and come up with thousands of years of new technologies and buildings and units and whatever (Though I agree that having the option that you can select to enable before the game starts of an expanded "Call to Power" type year 3000 tech tree with units and buildings and stuff would be nice). We all recognize at some point, no matter what they do, you pass the limits of what they design. However, just adding some stuff like health and happiness for Future Tech would help people just playing "One more turn".

Heck, maybe even an option to convert all science to gold, happiness, culture, or even split after Future Tech one would help.

Some of these things used to be possible in the civilization in snes and in civilization 4 bts where one could have a slider to reduce research that is no longer needed. Now once one gets to the one more turn in the post information era, one doesn't need to research future technology anymore since score is already determined when someone gets the victory during the information era. Commerce becomes more important and so does military.
Social policies can be useful, citizenship can help clean nuclear fallout a lot faster.

Frankly, If you have not finished the game by the time "Future tech" comes around your doing something wrong with your gameplay, and you need to tighten your style down so you finish much, much earlier. Even the Space Race victory finishes before the end of the tech tree and thats several tech before FT.;)

Perhaps he's playing 'One More Turn'? One of my few disappointments with Civ V is that it really doesn't have much post-victory playability; you can't even complete the spaceship since the parts become inactive. A Future Tech that doesn't do anything is another symptom of the same.

Expanded Science victory. Settle Alpha Centari or other planet. I can dream can't I?

In past Civ games I mainly played one more turn if I'd achieved a non-science victory, and wanted to build/customise my spaceship and wait for it to reach its destination. I do miss that part of the game.

Simplest system I would say is that each future tech, you get:
+5% combat boost
+1 happiness (or maybe +5% to do it the same as everything else)
+5% culture
+5% gold
+5% tourism
+5% food

Then the further ahead in tech you are, the larger advantage you have, but the game doesn't have to code in all the new techs. Basically each future tech would give your empire a mini-golden age permanently for the rest of the game. If the costs go up exponentially, then you can't stay too far ahead of anyone else, but it should at least give you a basic advantage at that stage of the game.

Some of these things used to be possible in the civilization in snes and in civilization 4 bts where one could have a slider to reduce research that is no longer needed. Now once one gets to the one more turn in the post information era, one doesn't need to research future technology anymore since score is already determined when someone gets the victory during the information era. Commerce becomes more important and so does military.
Social policies can be useful, citizenship can help clean nuclear fallout a lot faster.

Please don't get me started on the failure that is the slider system...

Please don't get me started on the failure that is the slider system...

The slider system doesn't seem that failure now since all the future techs do now is increase your score when the score was already recorded during the earlier victory. Unless someone manages to reach future technology way before victory and take the additional score that future tech gives.

why not split up Future Tech to diffrent categorys, you would get say weapons, health & welfare and such (Science seems a bit point less at this stadge then), all of them would be repeating and they could possibly increase in cost.

Maybe you could split them up even more, into tiers mayhaps?, so instead of just researching "advanched weapons" you would have to pick between techs that improve ranged combat strength, ranged units ranged possibly, melee combat strength, units movment and so on and so forth
What i had i mind by that is that this would simulate advanchments without creating buildings, without creating new unit models and such. so they would be pure empire wide bonuses.

the kind of repeating tech i (so far) have though of are the following:

Weaponry - increases combat strenght
-this is a subsection, e.g would be if above was split into more techs
-Ranged CombatSrength
-Melee CS
-Range
-Moves

Health and welfare - Wanna go tall? food bonuses around the house!
-increased Food
-increased food carry over
-decreased unhappines

Comerce % Cash - for those fat coffens of gold!
-increase in gold with trade routs (if that's even possible to get a % increase on)
-More traderoutes overall?
-increased happines

NUMBERS!
Spoiler :

Most of these I personly think should be increases in %, where it applicable ofc. but dont ask me if the increase should be constant in the increase
unit = 100 CS -> tech researched -> 100*(1.05)=105 -> tech researched -> 100*(1.05+0.05)=110 -> tech researched -> 100*(1.05+0.05+0.05) = 115 (increase = 5 all the time)

or varing in the increase
unit = 100 CS -> tech researched -> 100*1.05=105 -> tech researched -> 105*1.05=110.25 -> tech researched -> 110.25*1.05=115,7625 (so far increas has been X*1.05-X.... 5, 5.25, 5.5125)

maybe irrational? (Not the matimatical irrational)
unit = 100 CS -> tech researched -> 100*1.05=105 -> tech researched -> 105*(1.05*0.05)+105=110,5 -> tech researched -> 110,5*(1.05*0.05*0.05)+110,5=110.780063 !? (Welp this one was bad!)

1.05 & 0.05 is the % change, don't ask why i wrote it that way.
100 was the 'base' unit's strength.
And if you read to this point: Thanks for enduring my somewhat lacking grammar, my liberal use of . and , and my mediocare math skills. there got to be some way to make all this into a mod or something!

You should land on a planet in the Alpha Centauri system. The terrain should be in flourescent blues and greens and purples. Your landing module should found a city, and you should start all over again with Alpha Centauri Animal Husbandry, AC Pottery, AC Archery, etc.

Top Bottom