One mans experience

cduston

Chieftain
I've been playing Civ since version 2 but only registered today. I read the Civ 5 criticism and a thread on this forum where members recommended other games.

On the strength of that I bought Europa Universalis III Complete through Steam and thought I would provide a summary of the experience by way of a reality check.

Mooted as a possible alternative to Civ5 this game has no manual to speak of. The tutorials on how to play they game are both incomplete and, more surprisingly, incompatible with the version they are shipped with. As a result the game starts without a clue to do even the most basic things like embark a unit for transport across water.

Off to the forum for help and we discover you must enter your CD key to register for help or to comment at all. But I bought through Steam. The firm includes some incomplete and mistaken instructions on how to get a CD key out of your Steam install. Once you work out their mistaken instructions you find a key that the forum registration process claims in invalid. I'd post a complaint about that but of course can't.

There is no vendor support and no community for this game in this method. You may have better luck but bear this in mind if you can only buy through an on-line partner like Steam.

As for the game that is better than Civ. This game is in real time, but you can pause and slow it down a lot.

The first big problem here is the computer player cheats in a truly massive way. In the most simple setting it will out play you even if you don't make structural mistakes like starting wars you could never win or triggering inflation to bankrupt yourself. Even if you play an easy nation (England), spend very little on wasteful military and successfully master their income system your rival France will invade three nations with impunity, field a military five times your size and be ahead in every technologies area between 20 and 40% in every field. All within fifty years.

The second big problem with this mooted replacement is a disconnection in the sense of control of your own destiny. The game is hugely scripted. After about ten gaming attempts I learned how not to implode within twenty years of game start and that was about it. Nothing you do has much positive impact on your future but you can crash and burn very fast with poor choices. In the end this sense of non involvement in the game did me in. The clock keeps ticking along, you do this and that, but most of the game seems to run without your input. What few decisions you make don't keep you from falling behind. Much of the time I was little more than a spectator.

You can't register for help. There are no functional instructions to explain your mistakes.

You may have much more success with other games; this is but one person with one game. It's possible aspects of Civ annoy you - but no version of Civ has frustrated me more than this EUIII that was mooted as an alternative. Not even close.

After this Civ5 will be a joy.

Played the EUIII demo. Not my sort of game, deleted it.

Always respected the Paradox games highly, and admired those who can play them; but I myself am a bear of small brain with limited patience.

Got Civ V on release. Tech problems at that time made me quickly give it up. Worst was blast of air coming out back of 2 year old medium decent computer like unto hair dryer. Hope it has got better. Drop in here to read mostly, going to stay with original plan to give Civ V a year to mature before I try to play it again.

Suggest get the Civ V Demo and see how that goes. Watching bits of Civ V play through on youtube is informative.

Civ V appears to be a fun game if you can run it. Meanwhile for me is Civ 3 when I am in the mood, my MMO maybe an hour a day, keep up Guild Wars 2 development.

Sorry you had so much trouble. I was able to conquer almost all of France as Burgundy, nevermind England. The key in that case was maintaining strategic alliances with Castille during the early parts when France had me heavily outnumbered. I would alternate between warring with France (always with Castille as an ally invading from the south), annexing the odd German province, and a few years of peace to let my reputation recover.

I never played England, but I suffered at their hands in several games. I think the key to England is to use the mobility granted by the navy to your advantage. Instead of landing a big army, land many small groups in as many provinces as you can. Make the French play whack-a-mole while you sacrifice small groups to buy time to relocate elsewhere with your fast navy. Get an ally to help (Burgundy is the obvious, historical choice). Capture a few provinces while they chase you around and then quickly sue for peace before they can reclaim.

Back on topic (this is CfC not Eu3fC after all), if you had that much trouble with EUIII, sounds like civ V is just the game for you, enjoy! :D

People have been conquering the whole world with Iroquois in Eu3 :p Eu3 is not that difficult to master.

Though Eu3 does have periods of waiting, watching the years pass by 'till your stability recovers/infamy goes down etc. etc. During that time, you may browse the Web on your notebook, read an actual book, or something like that :D

I remember buying the game Victoria by Paradox. My brain started to go into meltdown the moment that I launched the game. If there is a learning curve then it is simply beyond me to grasp it.

Over a period of time the pain of trying to play that game subdued enough for me to try out Hearts of Iron III. That one lasted a little longer on my hard drive only because I had forgotten to remove it.

I seem to like reading the blurb about any of the Paradox games but I do not find them intuitive enough for a newbie like me to understand. I do not have the patience or inclination to discover if there is a real gem underneath the rather formidable interface and often lacklustre manual and or tutorials.

I thoroughly enjoyed all the previous Civ games (played from the original on my Amiga) and I equally like the latest Civ V. I can only image that Civ V will greatly improve with further patches, expansions and the release for full modding support, even though there are some superb mods already.

I've been playing Civ since version 2 but only registered today. I read the Civ 5 criticism and a thread on this forum where members recommended other games.

On the strength of that I bought Europa Universalis III Complete through Steam and thought I would provide a summary of the experience by way of a reality check.

Mooted as a possible alternative to Civ5 this game has no manual to speak of. The tutorials on how to play they game are both incomplete and, more surprisingly, incompatible with the version they are shipped with. As a result the game starts without a clue to do even the most basic things like embark a unit for transport across water.

Off to the forum for help and we discover you must enter your CD key to register for help or to comment at all. But I bought through Steam. The firm includes some incomplete and mistaken instructions on how to get a CD key out of your Steam install. Once you work out their mistaken instructions you find a key that the forum registration process claims in invalid. I'd post a complaint about that but of course can't.

There is no vendor support and no community for this game in this method. You may have better luck but bear this in mind if you can only buy through an on-line partner like Steam.

As for the game that is better than Civ. This game is in real time, but you can pause and slow it down a lot.

The first big problem here is the computer player cheats in a truly massive way. In the most simple setting it will out play you even if you don't make structural mistakes like starting wars you could never win or triggering inflation to bankrupt yourself. Even if you play an easy nation (England), spend very little on wasteful military and successfully master their income system your rival France will invade three nations with impunity, field a military five times your size and be ahead in every technologies area between 20 and 40% in every field. All within fifty years.

The second big problem with this mooted replacement is a disconnection in the sense of control of your own destiny. The game is hugely scripted. After about ten gaming attempts I learned how not to implode within twenty years of game start and that was about it. Nothing you do has much positive impact on your future but you can crash and burn very fast with poor choices. In the end this sense of non involvement in the game did me in. The clock keeps ticking along, you do this and that, but most of the game seems to run without your input. What few decisions you make don't keep you from falling behind. Much of the time I was little more than a spectator.

You can't register for help. There are no functional instructions to explain your mistakes.

You may have much more success with other games; this is but one person with one game. It's possible aspects of Civ annoy you - but no version of Civ has frustrated me more than this EUIII that was mooted as an alternative. Not even close.

After this Civ5 will be a joy.

Have you given galactic civilzations 2 a go by any chance? its very similar to the civ series in that it is turn based, and is also a very polished game, you do unfortunately need to sign up to an impulse account (similar to steam) to get your game patched, but i was really impressed by the game itself.

I remember buying the game Victoria by Paradox. My brain started to go into meltdown the moment that I launched the game. If there is a learning curve then it is simply beyond me to grasp it.
I actually had the same experience with Victoria, and I didn't have much problems with EUIII.

I actually had the same experience with Victoria, and I didn't have much problems with EUIII.

Yeah, Hearts of Iron and Victoria were unfortunate first-choices for Paradox games. EUx is a better (though still formidable) startup. If you like (and master) it, you're more likely to put up with the interface for those other two.

Still not for the faint of heart, and to be clear, I never did warm up to Victoria or HoI. But EUIII is fun for me. So's Civ V, though. Different experience.

EU2 is only slightly more nice-looking then EU3 from my point of view. And yeah, EU3 has occasional performance problems, but then, my computer is 7 years old. Overall, I find the new content in EU3 worth it.

EU3 takes quite a bit of practice. Two weeks ago I bought it and found myself annexed in 10 years. Now I take a nation like the byzantines or an india minor and dominate my area. With the byzantines I've already reclaimed the eastern empire and well on my way to restoring the former roman empires boundaries at their height.

Civ 5 on the other hand is an easy game that I have no will to get better at.

I played all the Paradox games since start and I have enjoyed them immensly. I also enjoyed alot of other Strategy games including ofcourse the Civilization series. Paradox games aren't really that hard when you get into them it's just the Civilization games that have been streamlined really succesful even from the first game that make you think it's easier.

Also the CD key the OP was talking about isn't really a CD key. Paradox games have from EU 2 patch 1.09 (i think) been completely copy protection free. Yeah that's right Paradox trust their customers enough to have NO copy protection at all. The key you got with the game is just a proof on their forum that you really have bought the game. Anyone buying their game and visiting their forum really should register the game just to show Paradox have thankful they are that Paradox are not using intrusive copy protction methods. DRM is a big deal to me and that is one of the most important details when I buy a game. If the DRM is going to give me a hard time I rather not buy the game.

To the OP, there is an very detailed, very lengthly strategy guide (100+ pages) available on the forums once you figure out how to get your game registered.

FYI, in the future if you're going to buy any Paradox games, I would recommend GamersGate site over Steam. Not sure if Paradox owns this site, but I think they are affiliated. Not to mention there is no "Steam crap" required with GamersGate.

To OP : Switch off Lucky Nations when setting up a new game. This would mean that civs like France & Spain won't get massive bonuses.
Playing England is quite easy. I even have played as Irish Minor, united Ireland, defeated much larger England in several wars, colonized America & snatched colonies from Portugal on normal difficulty.

The AI does not get any hard bonuses like +1 morale when you're playing on normal difficulty. It does on Hard and Very Hard, just like Civ. Look in the files if you don't believe me. The AI doesn't take naval attrition, and that's the only cheat that I remember and certainly the most impactful.

The game is completely unscripted, you can conquer the world with any nation if you're good/lucky enough. People have even conquered the entire world with Native Americans! You can also collapse and get annexed by a 50 province france. All this depends on how good you are and what nation you play, and yes, you need to be lucky if you want to conquer the whole world. With most nations, after you get the hang of the game you can survive and even thrive.

Read the EUIII forums for advice on how to play.

To the OP, there is an very detailed, very lengthly strategy guide (100+ pages) available on the forums once you figure out how to get your game registered.

FYI, in the future if you're going to buy any Paradox games, I would recommend GamersGate site over Steam. Not sure if Paradox owns this site, but I think they are affiliated. Not to mention there is no "Steam crap" required with GamersGate.

Paradox used to own it but not any more I've heard.

I highly recommend Gamer's Gate as well. I've never had a problem with them and they've always provided quality service.

I may have to pick up the Elven Legacy collection when it goes on sale. It looks pretty cool.

That and Magicka. If you want a humorous hack and slash role playing game, this is supposed to be very good. :)

Top Bottom