One thing feature you would love to see implemented...

Phoenix_56721 said:
Whats that :eek: ? I never played GC1 so I'm alittle clueless.

It's an artificial moon equiped with a powerful weapon that can destroy stars. In GalCiv1 planets and stars were stuck together so a terror star could wipe a whole solar system out. In GalCiv2 the planets are seperate from the stars and therefore it's more likely that in the expansion, it will be able to destroy only planets. Just like the Death Star from Star Wars.

From the GalcivII United Planets Issues list (Points 31 & 32):

"# As technology reaches levels never before dreamed possible, the cruel races of the universe will find ways to use this power in destructive ways. The Terror Star is one such example of this. A weapon powerful enough to implode a planet, it is a symbol of all that is wrong in the universe. We vote now on a 5 year restriction on Terror Stars, where no new production will be tolerated. How do you vote - should Terror Stars be banned in our galaxy?
# Terror Stars promote mass murder on an intergalactic scale. As long as these destructive machines are present in the galaxy, universal peace will never be realized. For this reason, we'll be voting on a permanent ban on these vessels. Should the Terror Star be forever restricted under the laws of the United Planets Council?"

Home Solar System Editor

I find it weird that one is able to chose the name of one's home planet (i.e. custom race) but is placed on a random-named solar system. I think one should rather be given the choice to name one's solar system at start-up, since, after all you can always rename planet (but not the systems).

Why not include a little solar system builder when you start your new game and chose your race, abilities, etc- and the looks of your home solar system- with a certain number of points to allocate... (I have found a way around it by editing the xmls but still it seems odd that it isn't working per default in the core game)

* To be partialy implemented in Dark Avatar - Thank you :goodjob:

MOO2-style orbital terraforming

1. Having seen calls for the terror star it would be adecuate to allow constructors to be able to "glue" together solar system asteroid rings back together to form a new planet out of debris.

2. Also constructors should be given the possibility to terraform (level up) planets like in BotF. (another idea mentioned elsewhere in this thread took up constructors establishing outposts on moons)

*No.# 2 To be implemented in Dark Avatar - Thank you :goodjob:

(Some) Micromanagement please:

It feels strange to conquer planets, I say... Why is that, you ask me... well, the Alien worlds don't feel alien at all. Planets just like my own- same climate, same people, same buildings... resistance is futile... apparently the GalcivII player is some sort of Borg entity ;) and assimilates everything he/she touches (hey- that gives me a great idea for a trade freighter class name: Midas Class :D)

Seriously- BotF had different environments (aquatic, methane worlds, etc) buildings and (at least on paper) different races living on different types of planets, which would again have different needs as to how many resources they'd consume/produce. MOO2 went one step further: here you were actualy able to see your citizens on a micromanagement screen and were able to shuffle them around between planets. These also had different living needs: Humans would slowly die away on planets unfit for their needs, while other races would just love the weather and get a population bonus and all- some races would eat rocks, some nothing at all (like why would the Yor build farms?).

All these issues mentioned it would be nice to have some sort of micromanagement as to who lives where. Mind you, those people who didnt want to get too deep into this issue should not have to do so- but by having such traits and peculiarities introduced into the game it will be a GREAT improvement to better identifying with particular Races...

* To be implemented in Dark Avatar - Thank you :goodjob:

On looks on the battlefield (cosmetic):

Attacking a planet with my glorious Imperial Naval Infantry is always fun to do- after all there is usualy the will-I-make-it-or-will-it-take-another-attack? feeling to it. However, and that's a bit sad, the animations (apart from being simplistic, which is ok) show bipedal soldiers- and only such. Why aren't there any Alien looking Aliens? After all Arceans are supposed to be some sort of giant folk, Talans insectoids, and so on.

We have these great looking ships that make identifying with a particular race cozy- please add a little bit to the battlefield as well- doesnt have to be much...

Final idea for today (I think)... Some people -actualy a growing lot by now- have asked for some sort of hangar module to build carriers. I won't go into detail here since I don't really know how (or if) something like that is comming our way. If possible I'd second it. My idea now is somewhat related:

A command module

to be placed on large enough ships. Basicaly what this should do is to act as a moveble star base with limited range. Starbases increase one's ship's range. Now a ship equipped with this module would allow smaller craft to operate within the module's radius.

I.e. Most of your fleet cannot reach a far away enemy. So you send out a flotilla attatched to a command ship (with the mentioned command module). The command ship has a sufficient number of support modules on board. The module will make your other ships

a) be able to use the support modules on the command ship
b) even if not in the same fleet but only in the range of the module (like that blue circle effect radius of a starbase, perhaps with several upgrades to range).

Vessels lacking support systems could now operate far away from your space if supported by command vehicles. Of course, should your command vessel be destroyed your units would be sitting ducks. Perhaps a command vessel could also issue accompanying craft boni during battles- but that's a different story...

Problems: I am not sure the AI could master this.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Final idea for today (I think)... Some people -actualy a growing lot by now- have asked for some sort of hangar module to build carriers. I won't go into detail here since I don't really know how (or if) something like that is comming our way. If possible I'd second it.

My idea now is somewhat related: A command module to be placed on large enough ships. Basicaly what this should do is to act as a moveble star base with limited range. Starbases increase one's ship's range. Now a ship equipped with this module would allow smaller craft to operate within the module's radius.

I.e. Most of your fleet cannot reach a far away enemy. So you send out a flotilla attatched to a command ship (with the mentioned command module). The command ship has a sufficient number of support modules on board. The module will make your other ships
a) be able to use the support modules on the command ship
b) even if not in the same fleet but only in the range of the module (like that blue circle effect radius of a starbase, perhaps with several upgrades to range).

Vessels lacking support systems could now operate far away from your space if supported by command vehicles. Of course, should your command vessel be destroyed your units would be sitting ducks. Perhaps a command vessel could also issue accompanying craft boni during battles- but that's a different story...

Problems: I am not sure the AI could master this.

Sounds like a good idea, especially on larger galaxies, but i don't think it's going to work well. I mean, it would just be too easy this way to reach the far corners of a galaxy and as you said, it could confuse the AI too.
I think that the starbases are good enough at providing a larger range for your ships.

I totally agree on your other ideas though.

One small thing I would like put in is the comments your people have for you.

It is the year 2229. The Torian Confederation is prosperous and happy, and President Tlaz Kienath wishes to hear his people's thoughts.

The first three comments come from three individuals: Bob, Sally, and Mark.

It is kind of ridiculous to be an alien and have your citizens given human names. Its not a big deal, but I thought I would just post it.

I really would like the racial origin of the population of planets to matter or at least be mentioned.
In MoO 3 (that's the only game in that series I ever played and was largely a disappointment), the populations were distinguished by their race and the planets had different environments as well, so it was a lot more interesting to know how many of your people, and soldiers, are actually your people and how many are the robotic species, or the bug species, etc. It would also make approval affected more and politics and stuff like that, because certain races might not be as happy to join you (such as on newly-conquered worlds).
The way that it is now, domestics is missing just that. I mean I just fought, in my current game, the Arcean Empire, and every world I conquered had 100% or somewhere between mid-80s to 100 approval rating - my own homeworld had a 60%, lowest in my whole empire! So... yeah, they need to do that lol

Shipyard enhancement:

Add the ability to translate components in addition to rotating them. Add three sliders for translation in the 3 axes down near the 3 axis rotation controls.

I ask for this because a fair number of the objects' hardpoints are not aligned precisely. Makes it a pain when striving for alignment and/or symetry, especially when working on a large ship with a large number of extras. But it also would make the ship designer more powerful and easier to use. I know I could do some of my designs in 1/4 the number of components if I could more easily place pieces (attachment modifiers alleviate this to a degree, but not enough)

the ability to share tiles with other friendly units...

Civ IV... some of the simplist things are the greatest

Neomega said:
the ability to share tiles with other friendly units

... Civ IV... some of the simplist things are the greatest
Good one- its even far older than Civ IV, in Alpha Centauri one was already able to occupy allied cities, tiles and airports, etc

How about more application of the backstory in the actual campaign. It seems silly, for example, that nothing special happens when the Iconians recapture Iconis from the Yor. Shouldn't something like that be a momentous occassion? I was just terribly disappointed..

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
Another thing:

* If a Minor civ gets to own a certain number of planets/systems (random number, lets say 6 planets, or so- the most I've see so far was 5 by the Akilians) there could be a 1% chance per turn that it ascends to become a Major Civ. I.e. if it holds those 6 planets for at least 100 turns it will very likely ascend.

thats a good idea. The Korx were originally 'minor' and they got to be a major race over time, so why can't the minor races of todays Galciv be able to get the grand title of 'major race'?

What I would like:

- Ship Designer outside of the Main Program, allowing you to design ships at any level of technology and miniturization.
- The ability to design 'templates' (hulls without extra components).
- The ability to import these templates into games (time saver & stops shipyard getting cluttered with unwanted designs).
- An end to old designs carrying over to new games automatically (untidy shipyard = frustrating).

Don't you guys mean:"Vassal"? and I would love to see something like Nephrite mentioned, like "The Movies" with the starmaker, except this a shipmaker.

Planetary Blockades

The player, the AI enemies and pirates lack one dashing feature to undertake. Planetary Blockades. So far, these are nigh to impossible- one would need a minimum of 9 vessels to fully encircle a planet to merely cut it off getting physicaly reinforced from the outside- but that's all what one can do.

In games such as Birth of the Federation the player didn't need to encircle a planet, yet by placing a fleet anywhere around the target planet's orbit, one was able to select these warships/fleets not to bombard or invade the particular planet, yet to stay on patrol in its orbit, hunting down a percentage of economic transphers of goods.

The larger the fleet on patrol, the more firepower relative to their speed (BotF featured Strategic and Tactical speed, on map and in battles respectively), the more successful a blockade would be, leaving you draining wealth from your enemies' veins- into your own...

Top Bottom