OOS troubleshooting

Amount of players can be around 3-5 +, OOS errors are usually caused because someone has a modmod installed or is on a different patch from everyone else. I believe there was an OOS problem with the Infernals where it was if AI or human took a city it would OOS? Cant remember if that was fixed or not and I never encountered that particular problem.

How could you even play with someone on a different patch? Lobbies don't show up unless you're on the same patch as the people in the lobby.

So, just another repeat of testing...

DLL #2, 400 rounds in, mostly standard settings on huge Erebus, no OOS.

I did find an unrelated crash though. Not sure how repeatable it is, since when I tried to go into the world-builder to repeat it, the world crashed before that could happen (heh).

I had the Nox Nexus (or whatever the Esus holy building is) and was being invaded by Basium. His stack of units walked over my invisible, undeclared nationality unit (not a nightwatch, a shadow or assassin--whichever's the next step up. I was the Khazad, so all dwarven equivalents were applicable). All was well, except I wanted to upgrade my unit (he hadn't moved yet) so that when the stack moved OFF of his tile, he could follow them with an assassiny attack.

Except, as soon as I upgraded his unit type, everyone's game crashed and we had to revert to the last autosave.

When I tried to repeat the experiment in the world editor this morning, I gave myself one city with the Nox Nexus, all technologies, and put myself at war with the infernals. Put some imps in my territory, set up a field of nightwatches (who, since they were in the Nox territory, were invisible as well as undeclared nationality).

As soon as I end-turned, it crashed in the same way. No upgrade required.

Perhaps it's a problem with stacking invisible undeclared-nationality units with invading forces? For all I know, before I upgraded that unit, I had previously declared his nationality but the upgrade reverted him to undeclared... this would match with the Imp scenario, where the imps probably tried to move onto an undeclared-invisible nightwatch square.

Sorry I'm not terribly more helpful with that particular multiplayer-encompassing CTD, but I just spent all last night studying for finals sans sleep... soo... gnight? =P

Just got a quick question:
In my multiplayer game, everytime we have an OOS, the log isn't always created. Looks like it only creates one on the first OOS.

We are now at around 430~ turns, and are starting to get OOS each 3-4 turns, before it was 1 each 200 turns or so.

Is there a way to force the game to make a log on each OOS?

I hope I'm able to help troubleshoot this a little bit. I've played two games with a few friends and some AI. They both OOS'ed around turn 150. There were AI Balseraphs in both games. After reloading the game a few times I noticed how many turns before an OOS occured would vary, and ALL of them were pre-empted by the summoning sound that Loki makes when he makes his puppets.

The OOS error would occur the moment he summoned his puppet. Not only that, but I was Khazad in one game and completely sealed off from the rest of the world. There was no way to me through mountains besides one pass where the Sheaim had built around. The Sheaim had not contacted the Balseraphs yet. Suddenly Balseraphs contacted me.. the only civ besides the sheaim (human player) to do so, and BAM.. OOS.

We would reload, and make it a few turns, hear the summoning noise and OOS again. Maybe this could help track down the cause?

well, ofcourse it could be something else, but your theory makes sense. You could make an experient. If you open in your FFH 2 folder the assets\xml\units\Civ4spellinfos.xml file, search for SPELL_CREATE_PUPPET_LOKI and change bAllowAI to 0 it should force the AI not to use Loki's spell. If you make that change, everyone in the network will need the modified file or else you will get OOS. You could try if this fixes the problem for you.

Playing a 5 player and 7 AI game on a standard map. We set the AI to non-Balseraphs and a player controlled them instead. We are now on turn 372 with no OOS issues whatsoever.

Yeah but I like them to use spells, just not ones that cause OOS. They seem to use the rest just fine, just this one seems to cause problems so far. I'll keep testing and watching any situations where OOS occurs, but so far Balseraphs being controlled by AI is the only problem I've seen.

Disabling or crippling the AI doesn't help much. I might as well just roll back to the dumb AI in previous patches. I like the new changes and everything has gotten better once these few OOS problems and crashes (Sand tiger stacks?) are solved.

well, of like 1000 AI improvements I disabled one. Unless you fight Amurites, you probably wouldn't even notice. I just want to be sure, this code is causing the problem, rewriting it to be multiplayer friendly shouldn't be that difficult.

Do you have Amurites or Luchuirp in your games? I wonder if they also cause OOS like Loki.

well, of like 1000 AI improvements I disabled one. Unless you fight Amurites, you probably wouldn't even notice. I just want to be sure, this code is causing the problem, rewriting it to be multiplayer friendly shouldn't be that difficult.

Do you have Amurites or Luchuirp in your games? I wonder if they also cause OOS like Loki.

I'll try a game without amurites, luchuirp or bals, to see if this theory might be correct.

Just a question Kael: If I use test DLL 1, and I get an OOS error, can I save the game, change with another test DLL, then reload my game and go on with it ? Or do I have to start another game ?

Just a question Kael: If I use test DLL 1, and I get an OOS error, can I save the game, change with another test DLL, then reload my game and go on with it ? Or do I have to start another game ?

You will have to start a new game to be a valid test.

Hello,

Test DLL 4 => no OOS in 313 turns.
Test DLL 3 => no OOS in 100 turns.
Test DLL 2 => no OOS in 116 turns.
Test DLL 1 => no OOS in 115 turns.

Using the "Orthus smash OOS mod", still got game breaking OOS in 5 out of 5 games. Enabled logging today, so will post when we get another OOS.

Top Bottom