[BNW] Open Border with AI

CIVLOYALIST

Chieftain
If I keep not exchanging open border with the AI until perhaps late game, will that help preventing AI from invading my empire? (on KING) I assume that the AI doesn't see how weak my military is.

Don't exchange Embassies early on, the AI may 'Covet your lands' as it can see your land near your capital. Not sure how much difficulty level hangs on it. I never allow open borders to my Civ,but always try and get it from AI's (boosts my tourism, stops theirs).

no open borders doesn't appear to deter AI that want to attack you much. It is a slight positive diplo boost, but if they were planning on attacking you anyway it won't help. ANd on the contrary if they scout your territory and like it, they will get the much more significant "covets your land" modifier early. As Lizzy said this can also happen with some aggressive AI just from trading embassies as they can see your capital and it usually looks nice to them. :) Trade open borders to friends or people you trust for the most part.

AI's on King don't invade unless you have done something very wrong and they hate you.
I wouldn't sign that. In one of my first BNW games two years ago I was playing on Prince and still got insta DoW'd by Attila even though I was only caring for my capital.

I wouldn't sign that. In one of my first BNW games two years ago I was playing on Prince and still got insta DoW'd by Attila even though I was only caring for my capital.

I once got Napoleon invaded me and on another game, Alexander invaded me and beaten me back to stone age.

What I hope is that the AI sees my territory as we see theirs, so the game plays fair. But if the AI cheats, then it's a totally different story.

I don't believe it works the way you hope. Your military adviser comments on the military strength of other civs without you having visibility of all their units, so I'm guessing they have an idea of your strength too.

Top Bottom