Openings

nerdfighter13

Prince of the Universe
Just wondering what people's favorite openings are.:goodjob: My favorite as white is the Ruy Lopez, and as black, I use the French defense.

White going first is rasist

You could use red pieces if you prefer. Or if it is a big deal, you could have black go first in your games.

My favourite openig is to move the pawn to the center and see if my opponent respond ;)

Which pawn? And which center square?:snowlaugh:

Well, unless his opponent is frozen by the sheer daring of that move, they will probably respond.:D

I usually respond by moving my pawn to the mirror of that spot.

I'm no chess expert, though.

With white: 1.c4, 1.d4 or 1.e4 in about equal measure depending on my opponent or my mood.
Against 1.e4: 1...e5 and then if it becomes a Ruy, the Modern Steinitz, Smyslov or Chigorin. I see no problem in other White KP openings.
Against 1.d4: Usually Queen's Indian or Nimzo-Indian. Sometimes QGD.
Against 1.c4: 1...e6 to transpose to any of those above. 1...Nf6 is less suited since it can run into 2.Nc3 e6 3.e4!
Against 1.Nf3: 1...d5 and either a QGD or if White wants a Reti proper the Lasker defence (Nf6, Bf5, e6, c6, h6)
I might add that I have played tournament chess for about 35 years, and in my salad days my opening repertoire was much less pedestrian, but nowadays I very much prefer calm, strategic positions to tactical slugfests.

I am going to have to work this out on a board! It is really amazing that you played in tournaments for 35 years. And a small question, what does the ! mean in notation?

I searched and found that ! means good move. I recently tried out the King's Gambit because I wanted to have another opening besides the Ruy Lopez, but I don't think I played it right. I swapped pieces, mostly eliminating the threat the gambit proposed. Does anyone have some tips on how to play it?

it is difficult to give any advice if you don't show any of your games or inform which variation you play. As a rule though you should get your pieces out quickly and utilize your superiority in the center. Depending on the circumstances, you might play for a king-side attack or adopt a more positional approach.

I wrote the whole game in the share your games thread, so you can see it if you want. I was trying king's side, but it didn't work because I traded pieces instead of going for checkmate or just an offensive against black.

Scotch or Italian Opening as White, Philidor Defense against 1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 when I play as Black; I've also come to love 1. d4 f5 as an opening when I play as Black.

I play D4 as white and 2.Nf6 as black. I play positions of QGD, Slav, Pirc, and Alekhines Def or Xknights defenses. The flexibility as taught me many things.

I switch between C4, E4, and D4 as white, with E4 being most common, and the English (C4) being the least common. Occasionally, I'll move a knight pawn a single space to finacheto the bishop, but I think playing C4 first is a better plan if you're going to do that. At least for my style.

As black, I'll usually play the Sicilian (C5) against the King Pawn opening, or pay E5. I'm not a big fan of the French as I find it to be a timid move, although maybe I just don't understand it. Not a big fan of Nf6 either, too easy to get the knight kicked around, again, for my playing style.

I havent really memorized openings past the first couple moves, and it wouldn't really be very worthwhile for me anyways since most of my opponents have even less knowledge of "Book moves" than me anyway. But I generally try to take control of the center. Usually I'll move either one or two pawns, then a knight, then a bishop, then castle Kingside. I usually try to play the rooks and queens last. Although not always.

Question though. My brother is quite good at "From the gut" chess, and he beats me at least half the time in spite of the fact that he throws the queen out as early as the second or third move. While I haven't really memorized long opening sequences, I have looked at them and have some vague familiarity with some of them. However, I have no idea how to effectively combat such unorthodox moves. Most of the time I'll try to harass the queen with pawns and knights, but usually I get tricked at some point and end up losing a rook or something equivalent, and then I often lose. What's the most effective way of dealing with over-opportunistic queens?

I would do what you said, attacking the queen. However, only to a point. You also need to develop your own pieces, but if you can do them both, great. The best way to defend is to just look at where his queen can move, and make sure you have a defender or two around there.

It's all in the mind. No matter what you do you have to feel like succeeding regardless of the outcome.

If you don't care about what you're doing then you'll play badly. That's been my problem for many years until recently.

What's the best way to play when you start with D4 and your opponent replies with E5? I know E5 is supposed to be a poor response to D4 but whenever I play D4 against my brother and my brother plays E5, I end up having problems. I usually accept the gambit, but not always. What is the best strategy on move 2 and from there?

IDK, I never play 1. d4, and I never reply with 1. ... e5 (I prefer ... f5). I would like to see some answers, though. Nice to learn new openings.

Top Bottom