Opinion: Archipelago = Fun?

ArtificialDucks

Chieftain
I've been playing Archipelago allot recently, I just wonder what the rest of the community thinks about it. I don't mean it would be good for competitive play, but it's relaxing and it usually forms allot of interesting islands. Playing as seafaring Civs like Indonesia, Polynesia, or England gives you a nice bias over other Civs.

Also, first post. :eek:

It's my favorite map type, hands down. The only thing that sucks is that strategic resources can be much harder to come by and that you have significantly less room for expansion than you normally would on a continents map of the same size and numbers of city-states and civs. But I still enjoy it a lot!

I think it's a lot of fun. I tend to play continents or pangea most of the time since they're the "standard," and they are certainly still fun, but I've always had a soft spot for playing on island maps ever since I first got into the game. It's an added bonus that Carthage, which is one of my favorites despite how lackluster it is for the usual map picks, gets to shine a bit on archipelago.

I also find naval combat a lot of fun yet I don't get to do much with it on pangea or even continents in most games. Island maps let me build up an armada and actually get to really use it for a change.

I love Archipelago maps and I even enjoy playing on 'Tiny Islands' maps too! As somebody has already pointed out, Carthage are pretty damn good on these maps with their free harbours and unique ship and there are others Civs that are strong on these maps such as England and Ottoman. Naval combat is one of the most fun aspects of Civ 5 so the more sea, the more ships. It actually presents new challenges because on continents you could have a good bit of terrain (such as mountains and rivers) to protect you from enemy advance but on small islands you can become quickly surrounded by enemy ships if you aren't careful! It is also sometimes hard to get good strategic resources on island maps and I've had games where I have had no access to iron, coal, aluminum or uranium.

Large islands and small continents are great as well. Gives you a bit more land to work but enough sea so that sea exploring and finding new fun islands while also having to fight so naval battles similar to archipelago. Oh I just love naval battles

England is my favorite Civ so far, so yes, I certainly like Archipelago. That said, resources are a problem and expansion gets boring after a while ("oh, great, more water tiles")

Archipelago would be great if the naval AI was smarter than a sack of potatoes (the issues run a lot deeper than you think, short version is that fundamental shortcomings that affect the land AI in small ways become exponentially more prominent when translated to the naval AI, so fixing the naval AI would require addressing some of the AI's most fundamental issues). Also, Civ5's naval combat is incredibly one-note and boring before mid-Renaissance Era, when the one-ship-type-per-era rule is broken by Privateers, and I'd even go as far as to say that naval combat only becomes interesting around early Modern Era, when you no longer have a single, bread-and-butter naval unit like Frigates. Finally, ranged attacks in Civ5 are already incredibly powerful, but the fact that there are no defensive bonuses at sea, ships have a default movement speed of 4 instead of 2, and melee ships cannot move after attacking means that ranged attacks become flatout broken for naval engagements: the player who goes first wins, even when facing a foe with slight numerical superiority. The only reason people haven't picked up on this fact is because the AI is terrible at ranged attacks and people tend to play with Simultaneous turns in multiplayer, where both players essentially get to fire their ranged attacks at the same time.

I like it as Indonesia, because of their luxury resource perk. Oceania though is my favorite island map.

Sometimes I'll play a 'mod civ' for S&Giggles who rarely GET to a coast, to see how they handle water; can the fearsome Swiss Navy take on the Ottomans ?? Let's find out !

Top Bottom