Opticaljim and Elizabeth

opticaljim

Warlord
As I stated on an earlier post I suppose I could have opened the book and studied it for a few days before I made a try at it......but that's not me. I'll just continue to play and get my butt kicked until I don't get my butt kicked.

I started out on a coastline, to be expected because I am England (my personal tribute to those rude tech associates at take2support).

Navigation is diffcult for me but I stumbled along until I met Frderick of Germany. He had his group of warriors, I had mine. Apparently we weren't advanced enough to trade.

I made a fishing boat and got a hold of clams which helps out my city as a food (yuch).

Along the way I managed to slay a few lions. I don't know why.

I was informed that Fred decided to adopt slavery. A few religions have been adopted, buhdism and hindism I think.

Not a whole lot more to report except the scenery is lovely.
'

I'm on my third city now, finding it hard to navigate, my guys seem to go in directions I didn't want, oh well.

Came across my first group of barbarians, lost a few folks. I don't quite understand the implications of going from a group of 3 warriors down to one but I'm sure I'll figure it out or read about it later.

I started out haphazardly on the tech tree but I've settled down and decided I'm going to try for Theology in an effort to found Christianity. This would have the benefit of being able to create as shrine and so forth.

You're really going to continue to make us use our imaginations to "see" what is going on?

Sorry, I'm not really that proficient in transferring graphics from the game.

Anyway, I've now read that I must have the Alphabet before I can trade techs. This pretty much negates a time tested method I used with Civ III. I used to explore with land units and the earliest boats in an effort to meet as many civs as possible and exchange techs. This would give me an advantage early in the game because I was aggresive in advancing techs early.

Again, I'm just messing around with my first game but I've come up with a possible strategy for future game.

Tech advancement is critical. Techs can only be traded after mastering the Alphabet tech in Civ IV.

However, culture is also extremely important in Civ IV, particularly religion. It would help to be the first to get the tech that founds a particular religion, particularly the one that seems compatible with my specific civ. in this case it would be Christianity which requires the tech theology.

My trick is to go down both trees as quick as possible, forsaking other techs while exploring with warriors and galleys as much as possible. As soon as I can get Alphabet I then start trading techs with each civ I meet, making sure not to trade too much to one particular civ.

Top Bottom