Orthanc's Creation Thread

Well the teeth are all out and I'm on my way to eating normally again. The top teeth were impacted like yours BadKharma, where as the bottom teeth were turned forward almost 90 degrees so there was no way they were going to grow in right. Anyways they're all gone now so that's that!

I got back to my place yesterday evening, here's what's cooking:

Still have the main mast, oars, and the fore-sail to add, those feathers at the back are for steering, they'll be mostly submerged.

Just have to get the sounds together for the Meso Trireme, before I send it off I just want to know if you guys would really prefer a name change. Kinda forgot the other name suggestions after I had my teeth out, so I've still been calling it Camaxtli, if I'm going to rename it I think I'll be going with Tlaloc.

Yeah but I was thinking of saving that one for the Galleass, which is next in line.

I really like the way your meso-american ship is coming along there. Earlier this month, I was in Mexico for a week and visited the Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City as well as the pyramids in Teotihuacan. When I came back, I was feeling a little inspired to maybe put together a meso-american unit. After seeing your ship, I'm thinking that—if I do go through with making a unit, which is a big maybe—I might try my hand at some sort of fictional unit. Maybe a cannon or something, who knows?

That's pretty similar to what I was thinking—something like the head on the front of Orthanc's ship.

Thread-jacking over. ;)

Well at least the thread-jacking wasn't totally OT (the bow of my ship is modelled after that serpent image Blue Monkey put up), but yes time to get back on track.

The thing is ready, do we have an agreement on the name yet? Camaxtli, Tlaloc or Hurucan?

Nearly a mounth and not a single post. I gess its my time to post something dumb again :D
I gess I would go with the first name but dont expect me to say it on laud

Well you did just say it out loud, thanks for your opinion.

The name thing isn't of course the main reason there's been no activity here. I don't think I have to retell the situation for the third year now.

Might release this during reading week (Oct 12 or so) or if I miraculously find some time.

Well since Im of to high school after 26 th I wouldnt mind one last bedtime story about How Orthanc couldnt produce more awsome units :D
Anyway I was always wondering where you get the idea to make your own stuf like this ship.

This ship was a request by Sword of Geddon, but as for the ship's design I just combine various bits of Meso American architecture with what I know about naval architecture, sketch out various ideas and go with the one that I think works the best.

For this ship and the Meso-American Galleass (up next, whenever that happens) Sword of Geddon actually supplied some simple sketches, so I developed it of of those as well.

As for your bedtime story:

Once upon a time there was an artist.
He liked epic ship battles.
So he made new ships for Civ 3.
Now he could watch epic ship battles for years on end.

Then one day he wanted to make his ships even better.
So he applied to a school that would help him be a better artist.
He tried three times to get into the program.
And the third was a charm.

And now he has to manually draw a 40 frame animation of a balloon floating into a room.

By manualy you mean pen and paper? If so then Im realy jeles coz I cant draw with pen or with computer :(

This ship was a request by Sword of Geddon, but as for the ship's design I just combine various bits of Meso American architecture with what I know about naval architecture, sketch out various ideas and go with the one that I think works the best.

For this ship and the Meso-American Galleass (up next, whenever that happens) Sword of Geddon actually supplied some simple sketches, so I developed it of of those as well.

As for your bedtime story:

Once upon a time there was an artist.
He liked epic ship battles.
So he made new ships for Civ 3.
Now he could watch epic ship battles for years on end.

Then one day he wanted to make his ships even better.
So he applied to a school that would help him be a better artist.
He tried three times to get into the program.
And the third was a charm.

And now he has to manually draw a 40 frame animation of a balloon floating into a room.

Ah, going to art school for animation I see! My brother did that, and now he's working in the mail room of a big office building, sorting mail, and making less money than his brother who only has a high-school diploma (namely, ME). :lol: (I keep telling him he should see if Firaxis is hiring.... He can make models that are at least 20 times better than what they've been using in their latest games :rolleyes: )

I just hope this works out better for you than it did for him. :D

Well my program reports an employment rate around 90% I believe. This is probably because in the 3rd year we'll do a co-op during summer before 4th year starts, so when we graduate after 4th year it should be pretty easy to just go back to where we worked during the co-op.

I hope your brother is at least trying to get an animation job, if the program he took was any good employers should be all over him, there's just SO much stuff out there for animators to work on...

Well, he has been somewhat, but the idiot went and got married right out of school (which takes up a lot of time and effort, not to mention ties you down), and he doesn't want to move out of the area, nor will he work for companies that make violent, gory or sleazy games (the school he went to actually sent his resume to Rock Star games, which pissed him off to no end, and after he told the school what he thought of that, they refused to offer any further assistance :mad: ), so that narrows his options down a bit.

Top Bottom