OT survey results

The major problem with a 'like' button that I see is the time required to implement it. If someone with relevant knowledge were to make it easy for the admins to install something, then the chances of success would significantly rise. That's not to say that, even if it were easy for the admins, it'd happen (especially seeing as it'd be a forum wide thing, so it being nice for OT would be low on the list of considerations), but the prospect of the admins having to spend a decent amount of time figuring out and installing something pretty much precludes any such feature from the outset.

Would be nice if this thread could be stickied for awhile - say a week?

It was stickied, and then I unstuck it (see my reply to Antilogic above), so it gets more exposure. Though this does rely on the thread remaining active.

Probably best to resticky it once it reaches page 2, but keep it unstickied until then, in order to maximize activity.

Change can come at a truly glacial speed, and we appreciate people's patience.

Not to be a jerk, but why? CFC is not a church. It is not a massive corporation. It isn't some monolithic institution. Staff is what, a dozen people? 15? Making changes shouldn't be treated like the Reformation or something. You've been collecting data for years. I'm sure these same general themes have been discussed for AGES. If you don't want to make changes, it's because you're (staff, not you personally) either paralyzed at the concept of making a decision, or you aren't invested enough in the product to put forth a modicum of effort to do anything.

How many developers post here? If technology is a hangup, do you think you could just ask people for help?

I feel like I had a good answer on favourite color but I can't recall

Anyways I'm sure my responses best responses

It was stickied, and then I unstuck it (see my reply to Antilogic above), so it gets more exposure. Though this does rely on the thread remaining active.
This is ridiculous. You know how fast individual threads fall off the front page, especially for the people who only have 20 threads/page in their preferences. Are you going to get better results from people if they know where it is, or if they give up in frustration because they can't find it?

Not to be a jerk, but why? CFC is not a church. It is not a massive corporation. It isn't some monolithic institution. Staff is what, a dozen people? 15? Making changes shouldn't be treated like the Reformation or something. You've been collecting data for years. I'm sure these same general themes have been discussed for AGES. If you don't want to make changes, it's because you're (staff, not you personally) either paralyzed at the concept of making a decision, or you aren't invested enough in the product to put forth a modicum of effort to do anything.

How many developers post here? If technology is a hangup, do you think you could just ask people for help?
Could not agree more.

Example: One of my acts as a moderator was to sticky the "Comings & Goings" thread. This was received favorably by the regular members, some of whom told me they'd been requesting this for YEARS.

It was not received favorably by the senior staff, who thought it should have been "discussed" first (no, I did not ask permission to do this). Well, I knew it would have been discussed and argued about, and the cries of "It's TRADITION" that we don't do x, y, and z!!!" would have drowned out any rational reasoning. So I did a Captain Kirk and "did it anyway." The only complaints I got were from senior staff - NOT the regular members.

And has the forum fallen apart? Any extra-onerous challenges presented to the staff other than occasionally reminding people not to use that thread as a chat room? No?

Then bravo. It was a change that was done, based on a couple of requests, some straightforward reasoning, and was well-received.

Now how about some similar actions on some other issues? The admin/moderators' manual isn't that hard to understand - I read it and got most of it (it's online, btw). For anything else that might be difficult, vBulletin has a good tech forum with scads of "how-to" threads. There are "bug" threads where problems are identified, discussed, and where people do their very best to come up with solutions. How often has the current staff ever bothered to check any of this out before just saying "No."? I include the admins in this question - there are FOUR of them. Yes, I know they have offline lives. I admin my own forums, and I know how challenging it can be to find time for everything. But at least I'm willing to try new things. If it works, great. If not, it's a learning experience.

The "like" button issue is one that can be used for good or ill. I know that, having been the victim of a targeted campaign to drive my score down past 0 (certain forum privileges and accesses were dependent on having a high enough score). However, I know the staff here are much more mature than the staff on that forum (one of the admins was in on this campaign), and would not allow people to be made targets like this.

I also know that the "like" button can make a person feel good, or at least vindicated, in what they have to say. It's like the "thumbs up" on ICHC, the Green Stars on Care2, and countless other methods of approval.

While this would at first seem to be strictly an OT issue (because only OT people are that vain, right? :rolleyes:), I'm sure there are other places on the forum where members would like the chance to "like" others' posts (yes, in the Civ areas, too).

As with all my comments on such issues - why not a trial period? If it works, wonderful. If it doesn't, just remove it. At least you will have tried (and people will shut up about it).

There has been changes: tags, social groups, the RD threads, split the OT etc.

I guess we could do them more often, but people wouldn't necessarily regard that as a good thing.

Although, you're right really, that even the good things happen often too slow. I'm just saying that sometimes you want to be slow on changing things. Much of what people complain on gmail, firefox, facebook, or things like that is that they change all the time, just when people got used to the old thing. This is a bit similar.

I read between the lines of your post the idea that the change is about implementing what people want. Partly it is, but partly it is not. This is the "OT is not a democracy" -bit. OT is not even a sovereign, it is part of The Greater Dictatorship of Civilization Fanaticks Center. Thus, OT isn't just for OTers, but also for other CFCers, whether they choose to participate or not. One thing that follows is that anything that is suspected to make OT more closed community won't happen. Other pretty much non negotionables are family friendliness, no piracy advocation etc.

We shouldn't be encouraging the circlejerk, if they want "likes" they can go to facebook or reddit and wallow in that filth.

I'm not really in favor of 'likes' or 'thumbs up' and I personally would need a lot of convincing to see the merits of it.

Personally, as a poster, I think likes could serve something on the actual civ forums. Like "this solved my problem".

In OT, I like to think that a good post is a merit in itself, whether or not people can give it thumbs up. Often people compliment verbally others for good posts, and I appreciate that kind of things much more than the like buttons. It usually means that the post really is good.

Then, I think also that it can make the place look like more inbred, less welcoming, and I wouldn't like to see it in action in the more heated and partisan dicussions. Posts that could otherwise be a minor thing can become real trolling via that.

There has been changes: tags, social groups, the RD threads, split the OT etc.
Yes. No argument that there have been changes. I enjoy the social groups, and have mixed feelings about the others in your list. Things like tags I have no opinion about, since it's something I never even notice.

I guess we could do them more often, but people wouldn't necessarily regard that as a good thing.

Although, you're right really, that even the good things happen often too slow. I'm just saying that sometimes you want to be slow on changing things. Much of what people complain on gmail, firefox, facebook, or things like that is that they change all the time, just when people got used to the old thing. This is a bit similar.
Way to imply we're stupid, Atticus. :huh: (yes, I'm sure that's not what you meant, but it's how it comes across) Installing a "like" button (for example) is not remotely the same thing as what gmail has done in changing the very functionality of sending/replying to messages (they screwed it up, in my opinion). It's not like the Invision/Zetaboards fiasco, when some of the original boards got thoroughly wrecked when the changeover happened. It's not like ICHC, where the more they "fix" things, the more non-functional they make certain basic features. Please don't suggest that putting in the "like" feature will screw up our ability to do normal posting, normal PMing, using smileys, etc. It won't.

I read between the lines of your post the idea that the change is about implementing what people want. Partly it is, but partly it is not. This is the "OT is not a democracy" -bit. OT is not even a sovereign, it is part of The Greater Dictatorship of Civilization Fanaticks Center. Thus, OT isn't just for OTers, but also for other CFCers, whether they choose to participate or not. One thing that follows is that anything that is suspected to make OT more closed community won't happen. Other pretty much non negotionables are family friendliness, no piracy advocation etc.
You do realize that a lot of OT regulars are also active in the Civ forums, right? Of course we realize that the rest of the forum exists. OT will never be a "closed" community. That's one of the reasons I supported stickying the "Comings & Goings" thread - so new people could introduce themselves, people can say hello/welcome, and take their foray into this area of the boards as slowly or as quickly as they please.

We shouldn't be encouraging the circlejerk, if they "likes" they can go to facebook or reddit and wallow in that filth.

"Filth" made me smile.

I can't see any point to the "likes" thing on CFC OT. If you like something then say so.

It tells me something on youtube, though. Just what that is, I'm not sure.

On second thoughts, it really doesn't tell me much. The number of views seems to be more significant. (Depends what it is. It's complicated.)

The silent majority justification regarding the forum split issue is frustrating. How many ways does the pro-merge crowd need to win before you all keep declaring the split side the possible winner? One thimb on the scale, the other elsewhere.

What silent majority justification are you specifically talking about?

My impression is that me and Cam have here speculated on the issue in very general terms, and neither of us have used it as a justification for anything.

It seems strange that the silent majority speculation is coming up here if not for the purpose of maintaining the split in the face of the fairly consistent feedback that is being provided. What if it was going the other way - would there be such open speculation that the community wanted the merge even though the pro-split side was getting in more feedback?

Yes, it may be strange, but it's still just speculation. (As I think I said before), the questions we had don't even correctly measure whether people want the remerge or not: that question wasn't asked. So the results above are pretty much meaningless on that issue.

Besides, as I said, I support the merge.

We shouldn't be encouraging the circlejerk, if they want "likes" they can go to facebook or reddit and wallow in that filth.

Couldn't agree more, "likes" or "rep points" whatever they are suck. And have no place in as fine a community as this one.

In other news might I ask what brought about the OT split? I wasn't really active around the time it happened so I missed whatever the justifications were for the split.

Yeah I find it bizarre that you still think there's a silent majority who like the split, when the results showed that there was an actual majority who wanted the split reversed.

I must say I found the conclusion strange, too. Though I have personally no preference one way or another.

We have not made such conclusion.

Camikaze said on the previous page that he worded his post badly, and I'm not going to speak on what he meant or didn't mean anymore than that.

On my behalf, I didn't draw any conclusion on the majorities here. The question didn't ask if people want the OTs to be merged. It asked "How would you organize the Colosseum? Which sub forums should be grouped together, which kept separate?". To know what people think about that specific issue of reunification, it should be asked with a straightforward question. This survey didn't do it.

Now, if you are confused with how I read the replies, each question was pretty open ended, and people replied in very different ways. Sometimes it was easier to say just that there were this kind of trends, and sometimes I could pick some quantifiable data from the replies. When trying to extract the question of merging the OTs from a broad question on organization of the Colosseum, it's reasonable to think that if someone didn't say that he supports the merge that he doesn't support it, at least actively.

It of course isn't reasonable to think that you could get representive data on people's opinions like that. So, it was misleading and confusing, and I maybe should have left that part undone. Or the survey could have asked that.

Top Bottom