Out of the Rubble III – The Chinese Empire

I don't realy perfer the fast pace that everyone else uses :(
The main problem is the "story styles". Some styles/perspective would get really exciting at one point in the game...and then become pathetically boring in others.

So I have to switch back and forth between these styles, and at certain points (change in the rhythm of the game). Sometimes, these points are too close together, so everything might seemed scrunched up :(

Invisible Rhino said:
I'm confused...I see two other civs in that screenshot...how are you alone?

The other two won't be there for long.

Sorry, guys, but I'm in a bit of a slump. Things have been a bit hectic in real life. Appreciate this short chapter :(

NOTE: Well, erm, there were some errors with the saving and I had to reload the game from the latest point (one turn before I thought). Sorry for the delays. It turns out that I had sold/bought a tech (I forgot which) to the Byzantines, and my attack on Adrianople succeeded (because there turned out to be 0 defenders). So, allow history to be re-written for a bit.

CHAPTER SIX: Byzantine Wars
Excerpts from The Wars of Ancient China, Written and Illustrated by Coullon Elsar.

John Elsar stood underneath a blazing sun. He was under an invisible line called the equator, or so someone had said. It was the belt of the great earth, and the sun gazed at it longingly, its heat working its way towards the equator. Or something similar to that. John could never get his mythology straight.
John sat down under the shade of a tree. Oh, how proud his great grandfather would have been to see him here. He had fought in the Viking Wars, and was one of the victims of the tyranny of the Great Maos.
Unfortunately, that line still ruled in Beijing. The dynasty seemed to have stretched on forever since taking power all those years ago. It was John’s dream that someday, they would fall.
Until then, John Elsar served in the military. Two battalions lay outside of the village of Adrianople. The Byzantines had built it not long ago. And now its garrison was completely empty.

The captain of the army stood up and signaled to the great force. And solemnly, the army marched into the city of Adrianople unhindered. It was burned down that night.

--------------------------------------------------

“This is preposterous!” Theodora of the Byzantines said. “An act of war!” Her cheeks were as scarlet as the flag of her nation.
Chairman Mao suppressed a laugh. We have burned down your cities and killed off your citizens. Maybe it is as an act of war?
A long silence filled the room. The two despots stood across from each other, a desk separating one from the other. They were in the Byzantium capital of Constantinople, a month after the razing of Adrianople.
“I’ll have you know,” Theodora said, “that we will not stand for this bullying.”
Mao cocked an eyebrow to his amusement. Theodora was different from the defeated Ragnar Lodbrok. She was insecure. She wasn’t fit to rule, Mao saw.
“I’ll tell you what, Theodora,” Mao said. He pulled out some papers from his folder. It was written with the newly discovered art of writing. “Let us assume for this meeting that what you claim is true.”
Theodora suddenly felt deathly ill.
“Let us assume, for the purposes of diplomacy, that China has indeed committed an act of war against your barbarian tribe.”
“Yes, seems likely…”
“Please do not interrupt me, dear Theodora. Now, let us assume that our great warriors have sacked your city and ruthlessly murdered your people for pure bloodlust.”
“Well, I wouldn’t say that, but…”
“For all intents and purposes, China has declared war on the Byzantine nation.”
Panic swelled up the young Empress. Her humble “empire” was only one city large, now that Adrianople was destroyed. China has three cities, and is about to found a fourth, the rumors say.
“In this particular scenario, what fate do we foresee in Byzantium?”
Theodora stumbled. “Well, erm…we’ll never know, right?” She laughed weakly.
“All formalities aside, Theodora, you know exactly the fate of Byzantium. Now it all comes to this. What does Byzantine have to offer China?”
Theodora racked her mind. They had no technologies to offer. No luxuries. They had, however, a small sum of gold.
“How does an entire ingot of gold sound, Mao?” Theodora proposed.
At this, Mao couldn’t help but burst into roaring laughter. “You have one gold?” The Chinese treasury had over a hundred.
Theodora nearly fainted. “That will not satisfy China?”
“No,” Mao declared abruptly. He pulled out of a sheath a dagger the size of a foot. It was strangely bent, and its edges were deathly sharp. The dagger was painted a red color that shone pink on the sheen of the blade. The chairman stabbed the dagger into the wooden desk. It stood straight up.
Theodora shrank away. The gesture was clear enough. The dagger was the symbol of the Mao dynasty. It was poised for war.

--------------------------------------------------

A speedy arrow flew through the night sky and landed in the dirt, its stem erect. The entire camp jumped up in excitement.
“What was that?” John Elsar stood up cautiously. He looked over to his friends. The night was completely still as John crept towards the arrow in the ground. Carefully, he picked it up. It was a Byzantine arrow, no doubt. John looked up into the sky.
Suddenly, another arrow cut the air. It landed a few feet away, crashing into the side of a tent and tearing the flap. Seconds later, two more arrows landed. One grazed by John’s head. Another barrage of arrows flew towards the camp, uncountable this time.

John’s head raced. They were under attack! Without thinking he shouted, “Everybody get down!” The dirt beneath him, he dived into the ground as the chaos around him ensued.
The trickle of arrows had turned into a downpour. All across the camp, panic took over. John saw as a warrior next to him was impaled in the head with an arrow. John crawled towards the shelter of a rock overhang and waited out the attack.
Then, as suddenly as it had begun, it ended.

IroquoisPlisken said:
Great update! I don't care if it's short.

Poor Theo, though. SW's not going to like this. ;)
INDEED... :devil:
when does jhon run off awol, marry dear 'dora and plot to take over the Maoist empire?

Top Bottom