P2P Revisted: DC++

damunzy

recovering former mod
Retired Moderator
I have been a long time user of Direct Connect and have been leary of trying out DC++. The main reason for my hesitation is that many hubs used to ban DC++ users....but luckly that trend is slowing going away. DC++ is a client that uses the DC protocol for sharing files....without DC there would be no DC++, at least not in it's current form. The enitre DC network has over 4'384.10 Terra Bytes of information on it, a great feat, and over 125'257 Public users.

DC++ seems to run faster than vanila DC. This has been attributed to the fact that DC++ is made in C++ while DC was made in VB. DC gets updated more often than DC; DC was last updated, 05-26-02, and DC++ was last updated, August 11, 2002. DC is planning on coming out with

DC++ features:
Multi-Hub connections
Minimize to tray
/commands
Logging
Display Joins & Parts
Confirm Exit
Resume check
Notepad
Favorites List
Sounds
No Advertisments
Disclude hidden files from share
Non-crappy interface
Not Visual Basic (!)
Menubar
Open Source
Firewall/Router Support
Auto-Connect
Search Spy
Multi-Kicking
Away Message

www.neo-modus.com - Vanila DC
http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net - DC++

Actually you have a lot more of DC clones that are as featured as DC++
Amongst them, Koala DC+, underground DC etc...
There are so many, for a simple reason: there is a free GNU licence source code for the DC protocol... Hence a lot of DC fan programmers. everybody wants to customize his/her own interface (since DC++ interface and ergonomy is not that nice)

Anyway I never use it, since all my swedish hubs hate DC++/or any clone. Normally they perm ban you. It would be more a problem for you, who have a fixed IP ;) than for me (everyday it changes)

But indeed DC is quite great. If I remember well, I guess it was me who introduced you to HL and DC right? :)
Ah, also try overnet/flock, the sequel to edonkey (from the same developper)

it's not worth the risk. getting perma banned from the "[BBB] Sweden" hubs would be worse than getting perma banned from cfc. ;)

you filthy mongol, what swedish hubs are you sneaking on?

Ume BBB, kingsize 50GB, tropical 20, 50, Dreamland tropical and some french hubs :D. Ah and sometimes on boras friends and säffle.
What's fine with bbb or hsb or sunet guys is that they have a great u/l rate ;)
battlefield 1942, Hitman 2, divine divinity and UT2003 in less than 4 days :D Swedish are no match for leech. although there are sometimes some a**holes who always close.

PS: if you're fan of anime, there's llumina anime and crazy cat's hubs. they're just fine.

No way, those hubs suck! Get access to a private hub, and you're in the money. Or run your own private hub.

[BBB] Sweden is all you need but you must have a swedish broadband connection to access. :D it's seldom going slower than 150 kb/s and no one is closing unless they have to close dc. almost everyone is sharing good stuff too, so even if it's just 200 users in a [BBB] Sweden is it more likley that you will find what you are looking for there than in a regular hub with 500 users and it's seldom the users have all slots busy. :D

There ain't nothin' on there that you can't find on the private hubs.

we should have a test/competion. have a list of files we shall try to download and then see the result.

OK, but I get some say in the files.

Hehehe. Funny, is this like a dance off? I heard that Britney did that with the hoochie that her ex is going out with now! :D

Tha bad thing about "vanila" DC++ is that you cannot use subst to make you like you have more files that you actually have..

On my ip address....it is semi-static. I can try to get a new one by doing ipconfig /release. I once kept the same one for 4 or so months though because I always kept power to the Cable modem even though I reloaded my system during that period. :)

can we wait with the dc competition til i've got my new computer (a week or two). there is very little room left on my 9 gig hdd.

What? You actually want to download this stuff? Some of the things I'm going to ask for are going to be 700 megs and larger (full length divx, images of apps and games). There's no way I'm gonna go and download 5 or 6 gigs worth of stuff for our little tiff (unless it's something I want). Our private hub doesn't thrive on trifle mp3s.

no, but i have lot of installed stuff and have almost nothing to share.

Top Bottom