• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[NFP] Pack1: Maya and Grand Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't expecting too much from an Apocalypse mode except more dangerous natural disasters.

I was expecting at least more souped up/threatening climate change, possibly some different apocalyptic scenarios that could (or could not ) be prevented in some fashion, and some form of increasing roving bands of barbarian hordes (whether dressed up as some fantastical like 'zombies' or not).

Granted some of this could still happen, even in conjunction with other game modes (i.e. a 'plague' game mode that creates an apocalyptic plague when turned on with apocalypse mode), but I'm not super optimistic.

was expecting at least more souped up/threatening climate change, possibly some different apocalyptic scenarios that could (or could not ) be prevented in some fashion, and some form of increasing roving bands of barbarian hordes (whether dressed up as some fantastical like 'zombies' or not).
Well that sounds kind of similar to what we might be getting. Appeasing the Gods competition is likely a way to prevent the apocalyptic scenarios and the soothsayer looks exactly how you described the roving band of barbarians. :)

Yes, I believe so.

I think it looks as though the Game Modes might be a little more limited than some had been hoping. It does make sense, given Anton's 'ice cream toppings' comment - the game needs to not feel too complicated with all six of them active at once. I can still definitely see a disease mode and possibly a vassalage mode here somewhere, but I wouldn't go expecting anything too involved based on this. It's the sprinkles on the ice cream, not an entirely new flavour.

I wasn't expecting too much from an Apocalypse mode except more dangerous natural disasters.
I can possibly see others like Secret Societies or a pandemic/disease mode having more depth. Not that this doesn't.

Yeah it's a bit of a bummer really. I guess I am still coming to terms with the fact that we are not getting a proper third - economic themed - expansion. This is starting to look more like 6 bumped up civ packs. Even while at the end of the NFP road it might all add up content-wise, I don't think it will get me back into it. I haven't played for months already, and this means another substantial wait for changes that might never go beyond some rather outlandish ice cream toppings.

It’s only the first DLC. But yeah, it’s quite possible the various Game Modes will be quite limited. So, no ideology, no economic / corporations / trade, etc etc.

There is popular stuff from previous game versions that is still missing from Civ. And People have been asking for ideology , corporations etc. And FXS have a good track record listening to fans. So, there’s reason to be hopeful even if the current DLC pack / game mode seems limited. But, equally, FXS could well have decided that stuff is not worth the effort / not actually all the popular / too complicated.

We’ll have to wait and see (of course).

It's nice that both Maya & GC offer something different. Not that going al domination on the world with GC doesn't involve planning, but playing Maya wil most certainly feel more like solving a puzzle once you've scouted the 6-hex radius around your capital.

GC for me seems like a civ that can offer a nice roleplay type of game in which you wait until your UU & UI arrives to start a war of unification for neighbouring territories. From a pure powerplay perspective this will feel like very (very-very) suboptimal approach, but in my experience playing certain civs in a more thematic way offers quite a fun challenge.

Looking forward to future 'Civ of the Week'-kinda topics/discussions once everyone actually starts playing with the new civs.

Reposting from the main NFP thread. Achievements are up.
  1. The stars are right - Win a regular game as Lady Six Sky.
  2. El Libertador - Win a regular game as Simón Bolívar.
  3. Court of Itzamna - As the Maya found a settlement adjacent to 4 luxury resources.
  4. To plow the sea - As Simón Bolívar activate all the Comandante Generals across multiple games.
  5. I'll melt with you - Win any Victory with Apocalypse mode enabled.
  6. The end of the world as we know it - Be the last person standing after comets begin falling.
  7. The accursed share - Use a max-promotions Soothsayer to sacrifice a max-promotions GDR.

For those who are interested, confirmation that the Patch Notes will come out at the same time as the release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom