PAE V Patch 4

Ok, found the error. I am sorry, you have to download the bugfix again (download thread). it's save game compatible.

Pie. First, thank you for all the work you've put in over the years. This is probably the most consistent reason that I still play Civ IV...in 2018.

A quick question, if you are even still responding to these. I downloaded Patch 4 from the link. That said, I could not get either Patch 4 or Patch 4bugfix to unpack, even in a separate file. I'm playing on Windows 10, using a steam beta version unsupported Civ IV Complete.

As far as game mechanics, everything is working fairly smoothly. (My test run is Gaul around 30 BC in the 18Civs w barbs scenario).

The only problems I have seen is:
Barb cities won't actually surrender (the window offering it comes up, but then they keep fighting)

Christianity lists and non-existent tech for discovery...hence none of the bishopric/Christianity related techs function.

Again, I have been playing for years...your mod is probably my favorite, go-to game. Thanks!

Thanks Eoghan!
Good feedback. It's a pity that the new patches don't work for you. Does anybody confirm same troubles?

I am busy now to create a full version again. PAE VI. So I hope all those patches will be small and easy to install again.

Barb citis: yes, I already know. I will fix that.
Christianity: at the moment, Christianity will be automatically found in 1 AD. But I will change that to put it into a TECH again, and if nobody found it at 1 AD, it will be autom. founded.

Pie, if you are creating a new compilation I'd be happy to help out with something at my pay-grade, for example if you want I could work on the text files or do something monotonous with the XMLs and provide a changelog.

That's a good idea! ;)

You could manage the CITY LISTs for scenario maps.

If you look into XML/Misc you will see the city list for the riseofgreece scenario.
if it isn't formatted in line breaks, pls open it with a better editor, it should look like:
x=0-3
y=0-3
name=Cityname
x=4-9
y=4-6
name=Cityname2

how it works:
if a civ founds a city in the area of 0|0 - 3|3 (rectangle), it gets the name you set.

You can check it with the RiseOfGreece scenario.

because, x and y is different from map to map, it needs a different citylist.txt file for each scenario.

to start, try the mini europe scenario first.

I can upload the python files then (when the citylist.txt files are ready), to see if everything works fine.

Okay, I've looked at the format and confirmed that it works in the PAE-RiseOfGreece scenario.
So would you like me to make cityname lists for each of the other scenarios from scratch?
If so, what conventions should I use; I might not know names for all the areas on the map, and what language should I use for shared areas?
I assume use Greek names like those from RiseOfGreece for Greece, Roman names for the Italian peninsula, but what about Gaul, Germany, Iberia? Should any of them be "Tribe of Arverni/Brigantes/Goths"?

Wouldn't it be useful to split this city name project into two stages?!
Stage 1: Associate map plots with earth coordinates. (This frees the modder from the question how to name the city. Just give a plot a latitude+longitude value.)
Stage 2: Find a proper city name from a table 'latitude/longitude/city name/optional filter criteria'. The table could be used for multiple/all maps.

The idea isn't bad! but... on a tiny map, Rome can only be built on eg one or two plots. on a bigger map on 2x2, and bigger 3x3 and so on.
Do I need a multiplication const then? this is too vague, I think. What do you think?

@Brosso: I'd say the english language and we could use TXT-KEYs for cities like "Tribe of"
Perhaps TXT_KEYs with latitude+longitude coordinates (Ramks idea?)?

So I've had a go with the Europe_mini map, I'll also attach a worldbuilder save with the names in signs, after all that's how I made the text file.

Some notes: I haven't used a convention across all the names, especially for plurals. For example I used Atrebaten instead of Atrebates because I thought the first sounded cooler :blush:, and Goten, Goths both appear on the map. I also used only one 'i' at the end of Raeti, Veneti etc. which might be incorrect. Otherwise most names should be vaguely geographically correct; Cimbri is in Scando instead of Jutland, because the former needed more names and the latter was crowded.
The Mali isn't labelled and TBH I gave up labelling all of Siberia. Shameful, I know.
Oh and few names extend more than 2x2 to avoid conflicts.

I don't think it's feasible to automate this using lat/long and a table because of the granularity differences which relates to different projections, sizes etc. There'd have to be some decision making system when multiple cities are valid (for the same civ). Also because the lat/long in game can be skewed from IRL lat/long, for example horizontally. So even if you used greenwich as a reference point or w/e, the cardinal driections are unlikely to line up well. Wouldn't you then need to have two reference points, adjust the axes to a line between them and then map in-game lat/long to more 'realistic' coords and THEN map those to names, which still has size issues. Doing it by hand honestly isn't too bad, the main time sink for me was researching maps, opening and closing RFC/ different PAE Scenarios and deciding things like "should I use Narbo or Tarraco for this tile?".
The way that I went about it, a way to extract the signs from the map would be helpful but transferring names from map to text file was probably the quickest (but most boring) part. It would avoid typos in that process, though.

Attachments

• Cities_Europe_Mini.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 125
  • names mini euro.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    228.6 KB · Views: 117
This looks very good!
I changed the line breaks of the file format, so that you can open the file with a normal text editor too.

some questions:
x=20-21
y=18
name=Mediolanum
x=21
y=17
name=Mediolanum

this it:

x=20-21
y=17-18
name=Mediolanum

no matter if peak or water is in the calculation. the same with Persepolis.
----------------------------------

x=6
y=14
name=Atlantis

really? :)

So, now it's time to put TXT_KEYS to all the cities that are named different in different languages. eg for Carthage it's TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_CARTHAGE.

The cities I currently have are in /Text/PAEGameTextInfos_Cities.xml

Attachments

• Cities_Europe_Mini.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 105
Doing it by hand honestly isn't too bad, the main time sink for me was researching maps, opening and closing RFC/ different PAE Scenarios and deciding things like "should I use Narbo or Tarraco for this tile?".
The way that I went about it, a way to extract the signs from the map would be helpful but transferring names from map to text file was probably the quickest (but most boring) part. It would avoid typos in that process, though.
I agree.

The missing Mediolanum tile is Genua, and for Persepolis it is Omazd (but Omazd has two tiles, genua only the one).

I was using notepad++, how did you change the linebreaks? so would it work properly now in normal notepad?

Oh, ok, change the cities please again ;)

How I changed the line breaks: I opened the file in a php editor, where the line breaks are shown correct. Copied and pasted it into the normal text editor (notepad), so that the line breaks are shown correctly in notepad. Copied and pasted back. Saved.

@Brosso: oh, I forgot to send you the python file, so that the city script works with new scenarios.

If you like to create a new city list for a scenario, then you can see its ScriptName in the map file (privateMaps) under:
eg europe medium
BeginPlot
x=0,y=0
ScriptData=EuropeMedium

to add a city list in python, it's in PAE/PAE_City line 3344 and so on. Just add the map and the city txt in one new line. => ready.

(uploaded file: change .py.txt to .py and replace the file in PAE/PAE_City.py)

Attachments

• PAE_City.py.txt
    183.7 KB · Views: 113
Hiya, my desktop was out of action for a while and then I forgot about this...
I'll start having a look at the other Scenarios then.

oh ok. great! but first try to edit the current file and add TXT_KEYs of the cities I already have in Text/TextInfosCities. Could you?

Hi all,

I am almost ready with PAE VI. Just playing test games for some corrections..... I hope I will soon be able to upload an awesome version. Target: x-mas holidays

Perhaps, you can help me again in completing some european scenario maps with the city names feature.

I uploaded the upgraded version of the Europe Mini City names file (with the TXT_KEYs I already use in PAE) and added a general file with all names and txt_keys, if you generate a new file.

So, if you have the time and energy to help me with some scenario maps (only the europe mini map is finished) while I am testing all my new features about ranking system and all the new units, trading system, maintenance system etc ...

The city name files are not necessary for PAE VI. I can also do them by time in further patches, ... so just stay tuned and pray for a wonderful PAE VI :)

Attachments

• Cities_Europe_Mini.txt
    8.6 KB · Views: 109
  • PAE_Citynames_TXT_KEYs.txt
    43.9 KB · Views: 97
Hi again pie, my hard drive ended up completely dying shortly after the last message, which was obviously a pretty big inconvenience. Silver lining is maybe I'll learn a lesson of backing things up though.
If I can get modded BTS up and running again soon I'll look at the naming maps.
The new features sound interesting.

P.S. Merry Christmas everyone :xmassign:

oh, ok. that's why I couldn't read sthg from you ;)

@All: ok so, have a nice time with your family/families during the x-mas time and let's do this thing afterwards.
in the meanwhile, I can add all city names (from vanilla, warlords and bts) and update the list again.
this is something special, unimportant of publishing the mod.

Top Bottom